What are you listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
    Last night I heard some excerpts from Shostakovitch's Symphonies No 4 and 5.
    Exploring Music with Bill McGlaughlin!
    Zevy

Comment

Last night I heard some excerpts from Shostakovitch's Symphonies No 4 and 5.
      Hi Sorrano! The 5th is superb, but I haven't heard the 4th. I know the 1st, which I like a lot.
      Last edited by Enrique; 01-16-2024, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post

Hi Sorrano! The 5th is superb, but I haven't heard the 4th. I know the 1st, which I like a lot.
        Shostakovich isn't one of my favourite composers, but the 2nd movement of the 10th symphony is thrilling!

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post

I've had recordings of the 7th, I believe, and it seems there was another, maybe the 8th. It's been a long time and I no longer have any of my LP's. Sometime I might see about getting the complete set.

Comment

Anyone familiar with Favi Shankar? I listened to some excerpts from his Symphony last night and found it quite interesting. It reminds me a lot of Alan Hovhaness' music.

Comment

Anyone familiar with Favi Shankar? I listened to some excerpts from his Symphony last night and found it quite interesting. It reminds me a lot of Alan Hovhaness' music.
              Sorrano, I was first introduced to Ravi Shankar's music when I saw the film 'Gandhi' , and ever since then I have been interested and liked the sound of the Sitar and Indian Classical music.
              I listened to the Symphony that you mentioned, thanks for that It is interesting and I enjoyed it too…. but I love the sound of pure Classical Sitar music.
              I am afraid I have not heard of Alan Hovhaness , possibly heard his music without realising it was by him.
              🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post

Sorrano, I was first introduced to Ravi Shankar's music when I saw the film 'Gandhi' , and ever since then I have been interested and liked the sound of the Sitar and Indian Classical music.
                I listened to the Symphony that you mentioned, thanks for that It is interesting and I enjoyed it too…. but I love the sound of pure Classical Sitar music.
                I am afraid I have not heard of Alan Hovhaness , possibly heard his music without realising it was by him.
                He was an American composer that was heavily influenced by Eastern music. His Mysterious Mountain Symphony and Mt. St. Helens Symphony are among his better known works. Also, you might check out "And God Created the Great Whale", which utilizes whale sounds as part of the music. That, of all things, was my introduction to Hovhaness.

Comment

He was an American composer that was heavily influenced by Eastern music. His Mysterious Mountain Symphony and Mt. St. Helens Symphony are among his better known works. Also, you might check out "And God Created the Great Whale", which utilizes whale sounds as part of the music. That, of all things, was my introduction to Hovhaness.
                  Now you piqued my interest and I further listened to and enjoyed , his Prayer of St. Gregory . And Mysterious Mountain Symphony , and the Vision of Andromeda , all new ground for me , will listen to more.. there are some lovely works.
                  🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post

Now you piqued my interest and I further listened to and enjoyed , his Prayer of St. Gregory . And Mysterious Mountain Symphony , and the Vision of Andromeda , all new ground for me , will listen to more.. there are some lovely works.
                    Although I knew the name, I hadn't listened to the music - certainly a great find! The Mysterious mountain sounds influenced by Vaughan-Williams.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

For Burns night something appropriate sung by Voces8 .

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        For Burns night something appropriate sung by Voces8 .
                        An excellent performance of a gorgeous piece of music!

Comment

After listening to some of Brahms' Chamber music featuring a piano (from Exploring Music) the last couple of evenings they played Dvorak's "Dumky" Trio which really spoke to me, more so than Brahms. While I like and respect Brahms and his music I would add an extra star to Dvorak.

Comment

I'm not a Burns fan, but the music is beautiful!
                            🎹

Comment

For Mozart - born 268 years ago today. The Symphony no.38 'Prague' / Bernard Haitink

'Man know thyself'

Comment

That is the symphony without menuetto, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X