What are you listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you listening to now?

Continuing on from the last thread, yes Schiff's Bach is really excellent and I have to agree his recording of the 48 is also my favourite version, and also the partitas and suites truly bring out the dance rhythms of the music. I have Edwin Fischer's early 1935 recording of the 48 (the first I think to be made of the complete set) and fine as it is (even Schiff regards it as his favourite) it is surpassed by Schiff.
    'Man know thyself'

Wonderful to see my favourite Quartetto Italiano is available on Youtube playing the complete Beethoven quartets.

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring.

How striking The Augurs of Spring, with its accents randomly scatted over the 1/8 notes. How powerful the descending triplet that starts The evocation of the Ancestors. How terrifying the quintuplets in trumpets and trombones in the Sacrificial Dance. And how much lyricism in the iintroduction to the second part. The audition of the Rite is an unforgettable experience for a music lover.

Comment

Schubert: "Arpeggione" Sonata
        Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
          Schubert: "Arpeggione" Sonata
          Gorgeous piece - I have a great recording with Britten and Rostropovich.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post

Gorgeous piece - I have a great recording with Britten and Rostropovich.
            Yes Peter, it is so pretty. I have that recording too, but I found it to be too flamboyant. I have a number of recordings of this piece; The one that I posted is my personal favorite. The balance, tempo and expression seem just right for me.
            Zevy

Comment

Dvorak's 2nd piano quintet

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven Piano Concerto no. 5 E flat OP 75 Emperor, Seiji Ozawa, Rudolf Serkin, Boston Symphony Orchestra.
                Wow!
                Zevy

Comment

Not sure if this video post will work, but this is my favorite version of the 5th Piano Concerto.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post

Not sure if this video post will work, but this is my favorite version of the 5th Piano Concerto.
                    Serkin made a few recordings of the Beethoven Piano Concertos. The one that I was referring to was (I believe) from the last set that he recorded. I preferred that one because it was digitally recorded. I may even have some others that he played.
                    Zevy

Comment

Last night I listened to Strauss' Alpine Symphony. I think this is my favorite of that composer.

Comment

Hi Sorrano. Your favorite? And Don Juan?

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                          Hi Sorrano. Your favorite? And Don Juan?
                          Yes, this is probably my favorite of Strauss' music. I also like Zarathustra a lot, but I speak of the entire work, not just the opening moments. Don Juan is good, but I hear it on the radio more frequently than any other work of his, so I do tire of it occasionally.

Comment

I see. But Don Juan is not good, it's superb.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                              I see. But Don Juan is not good, it's superb.
                              Of that I cannot argue. I also like Death and Transfiguration a lot. Don Juan I hear frequently on the radio, these others I do not.

Comment

Working...
                              X