Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter View Post

Try 'Summer Evening'

I did listen to this, thank you, Peter! I find the music to be "pretty" but it does not really move me. I found it pleasant, as I do other works of his that I've heard, and I liked it, yet it's something that would end up lower on my listening priority list. I don't think he'd be in my top 50 composers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post

I did listen to this, thank you, Peter! I find the music to be "pretty" but it does not really move me. I found it pleasant, as I do other works of his that I've heard, and I liked it, yet it's something that would end up lower on my listening priority list. I don't think he'd be in my top 50 composers.
      I can understand this as Delius is not everyone's cup of tea! It's like entering into a dream like state, meditative. Try this piece. 'Song of Summer' - a later work which was dictated by Delius (who was by this time paralysed and blind) to Eric Fenby https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6nr...el=olla-vogala
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Last night I was listening to excerpts of Mozart's last 3 symphonies (the last two in their entirety), conducted b y Karl Bohm. I had "written off" Karl Bohm after getting a Beethoven Symphonic cycle he did (many years ago) and had not liked it. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I've avoided him since, but these performances I found very soul-stirring and I gained a new interest in the symphonies of Mozart. I will have to revisit the Beethoven performances, as well.

Comment

Last night I was listening to excerpts of Mozart's last 3 symphonies (the last two in their entirety), conducted b y Karl Bohm. I had "written off" Karl Bohm after getting a Beethoven Symphonic cycle he did (many years ago) and had not liked it. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I've avoided him since, but these performances I found very soul-stirring and I gained a new interest in the symphonies of Mozart. I will have to revisit the Beethoven performances, as well.
          I found it quite interesting that Maestro Bohm chose to record the (#40) G minor in the original version, i.e. sans clarinets. The 2nd version is, to me, far superior. For example the famous (clarinet) solo in the 4th movement was played my the oboe! I love the oboe, but in this case I miss the clarinet.
          Zevy

Comment

Prokofiev Symphony no.7 / Previn

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Last night I listened to Brahms's Second Symphony, which is my favorite of the four.

Comment

Last night I listened to Brahms's Second Symphony, which is my favorite of the four.
                Yes I love the 2nd, but I always think of the Brahms symphonies in terms of the seasons and the 2nd is definitely summer. So now we're in autumn, the 3rd is my favourite!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post

Yes I love the 2nd, but I always think of the Brahms symphonies in terms of the seasons and the 2nd is definitely summer. So now we're in autumn, the 3rd is my favourite!
                  That is an interesting way to view those symphonies and I can see it. Last night I listened to Tchaikovsky's final Symphony (Eugene Ormandy with the Philadelphia Orchestra) and I think that would be a good Winter symphony.

Comment

I had a bit of a drive this morning, and just as I got going Beethoven's Symphony No. 7 came on the radio. Conducted by Andris Nelsons, it was being played to celebrate his 45th birthday. I had never heard his Beethoven before, and I was very impressed - it was a wonderful, energetic rendition!

Comment

Rachmaninov Symphony no.3 - not so well known as the 2nd, but I think unjustly, especially given this excellent performance with Ashkenazy.

'Man know thyself'

Comment

I was just revisiting some recordings of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. Gershwin always seems to come to my mind this time of year. I think it's because my family has always had the tradition of watching the Peanuts holiday specials for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, which feature the jazz music of Vince Guaraldi, which brings to mind the jazz elements of Gershwin. Quite the ear worm this one can be:

Comment

Over the weekend I went to New York and saw the Back to the Future musical on Broadway. I'm not usually a big fan of musicals, but they usually have some catchy songs, so I thought it would be OK. The original music for the show was entirely forgettable, but it did get me listening to some of the score from the movie again, which is great:

I will say the sound, lightening, and special effects of the show were incredible. I have no idea how they did all that stuff with the car, and in chatting with the cast and crew afterward I gathered that it is actually a secret. So that was fun, but I hope this isn't the future of Broadway - spectacle taking the place of good story and music. I haven't been to the opera in a while - I hope this kind of thing isn't happening there too.

Comment

Thomas Tallis (c.1505-1585) Suscipe, quaeso Domine for 7 voices BBC Singers, Stephen Cleobury (conductor)
                            🎹

Comment

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791) Piano Concerto No.12 in A, K.414 Igor Levit (piano), WDR Symphony Orchestra, Cologne, Cristian Macelaru (conductor)
                              Last edited by Megan; 12-07-2023, 04:08 AM.
                              🎹

Comment

Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827) Piano Concerto No. 1 in C, op. 15 Martha Argerich (piano), Lausanne Chamber Orchestra, Renaud Capucon (conductor)lay
                                '
                                I really enjoy Beethoven's Piano Concerto no. 1. wonderfully played as above.
                                Last edited by Megan; 12-07-2023, 04:10 AM.
                                🎹

Comment

Working...
                                X