Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The A-Z Beethoven Quiz (rules of the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vienna. Beethoven may have stayed there.

Comment

Vienna 1799

W
      illmann Magdalene , whom Beethoven made his first attempt at courtship and proposal of marraige, but was rejected. Later in that same year she married Herr Galvani.
      🎹

Comment

Xanthippe - wife of Socrates.

In 1812, Beethoven wrote the following in a letter to Breitkopf and Hartel:

"I wish you a Xanthippe, like the wife of the holy Greek Socrates, so that I might see a German publisher embarrassed, which is saying a great deal ...."

(I didn't even have to go looking for this. I came across it accidentally a few days ago, half-way through Thayer, so I thought it might be useful. I didn't even know Socrates was engaged, let alone married. )

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Xanthippe - wife of Socrates.

In 1812, Beethoven wrote the following in a letter to Breitkopf and Hartel:

"I wish you a Xanthippe, like the wife of the holy Greek Socrates, so that I might see a German publisher embarrassed, which is saying a great deal ...."

(I didn't even have to go looking for this. I came across it accidentally a few days ago, half-way through Thayer, so I thought it might be useful. I didn't even know Socrates was engaged, let alone married. )

Oh, I sure hope that Socrates knew it!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
            Oh, I sure hope that Socrates knew it!
            Of course he did. He took poison.

Comment

Zero for number of completed Requiems (pity, too!)

(Hope that hasn't been used, yet!)

Comment

Well done everybody. That completes Round 9.

Comment

Beethoven A-Z Round 10

A= Achilderung eines Machens (WoO 107, 1782).

Comment

Battle of the Baltic, Cantata
                    🎹

Comment

C = Joseph Czerny. A few facts about him from Wikipedia: [...] was a composer, pianist, and piano teacher. Among his compositions is variation number 5 for Part II of the Vaterländischer Künstlerverein (the original DV projects!). Among his pupils were Leopoldine Blahetka (1809–1885) and Ludwig van Beethoven's nephew, Karl. His variations were not well received by the English magazine The Harmonicon: "His variations, seven in number, have nothing new in them; they pursue the same track that has been beaten for many years past, and have, under various names, nauseated the ear during a long quarter of a century at least."

Comment

Doctor sperrt das Thor dem Todt, canon
                        🎹

Comment

Elterlein, Ernest von,

Oh! THAT Ernest von Elterlein!
                          Author of "Beethoven's Pianoforte Sonatas Explained for the Lovers of the Musical Art" published 1856.
                          (I wonder if the book was as long as the title.)

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                            Well done everybody. That completes Round 9.
                            Er...no. There was no 'Y'.

Why no 'Y'? Why, I have no idea.

Yellow Submarine. Beethoven never saw the sea, so probably never saw a submarine. Let alone one coloured Yellow!

PS. Guys, just back from hols, will respond to PMs asap (if not, sooner...)...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              Elterlein, Ernest von,

Oh! THAT Ernest von Elterlein!
                              Author of "Beethoven's Pianoforte Sonatas Explained for the Lovers of the Musical Art" published 1856.
                              (I wonder if the book was as long as the title.)
                              But does it have a foreword by John Suchet?...

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                                C = Joseph Czerny. A few facts about him from Wikipedia: [...] was a composer, pianist, and piano teacher. Among his compositions is variation number 5 for Part II of the Vaterländischer Künstlerverein (the original DV projects!). Among his pupils were Leopoldine Blahetka (1809–1885) and Ludwig van Beethoven's nephew, Karl. His variations were not well received by the English magazine The Harmonicon: "His variations, seven in number, have nothing new in them; they pursue the same track that has been beaten for many years past, and have, under various names, nauseated the ear during a long quarter of a century at least."
                                Yeah, basically he was a nonentity (in the grand scheme of things)...

Comment

Working...
                                X