Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The A-Z Beethoven Quiz (rules of the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F major. The key of two symphonies, the first Razumovsky Quartet, the Op.54 sonata and the underrated Horn sonata, Op.17.

Comment

Grillparzer, Franz.
      A well known dramatic poet. He had strong musical interests and first met Beethoven in about 1805. In 1823 the two made plans to collaborate on an opera, and two subjects were suggested - Drahomira and Melusine. Beethoven claimed to have begun work on the latter but no sketches for it have been positively indentified.
      In 1827, Grillparzer wrote Beethoven's funeral oration.

Last edited by Megan; 10-06-2012, 12:09 AM.
      🎹

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
        Er...no. There was no 'Y'.

Why no 'Y'? Why, I have no idea.

Yellow Submarine. Beethoven never saw the sea, so probably never saw a submarine. Let alone one coloured Yellow!

PS. Guys, just back from hols, will respond to PMs asap (if not, sooner...)...
        Glad you came back to spot something we all missed. Y was there no Y?
        And does it matter in the grand scheme of things?

One of the best things about this thread is that it's going slightly batty. And Quijote isn't being too strict. (I suspect that - like most of us - he can't be bothered to check back! )
        I am looking forward to round 24
        As to your contention that Beethoven never saw a submarine, I would refer you to page 956 of Thayer.
        You will find that you are quite correct - there is no reference to any type of submersible craft.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          One of the best things about this thread is that it's going slightly batty. And Quijote isn't being too strict. (I suspect that - like most of us - he can't be bothered to check back! )
          Roger that, Flight Leiutentant! Over.

Comment

H = Anselm Hüttenbrenner, yet another ... wait for it ... contributor the the original DV Project. Here are a few line from Wikipedia about this forgotten Beethoven acquaintance: Anselm Hüttenbrenner (13 October 1794 – 5 June 1868), was an Austrian composer. He was on friendly terms with both Ludwig van Beethoven—he was one of only two people present at his death—and Franz Schubert, his recollections of whom constitute an interesting but probably unreliable document in Schubertian biographical studies. And so on.

PS: A literal translation of his surname gives "Hut Burner". Can just see Franz Schubert introducing him to his idol LvB: Master, here's my chum Anselm HutBurner. Do you think they got on along like a house on fire?

Comment

"In des liebens freulighstagen"
              Florestan's prison lament from Fidelio.

Comment

Johannesgasse . One of Beethoven's lodgings.

1824/5 (Nov - April)) 969 Johannesgasse (no longer exists) (corner of no.1 and Kärtnerstrasse
                🎹

Comment

K = Conradin Kreutzer. Yes. A DV project contributor.

Comment

London Pianoforte School. (LPS)

Clementi's success as a pianist-composer placed him at the head of what has been termed as LPS, and several other members of this group may have influenced Beethoven's piano style.
                    🎹

Comment

M = Minuet. Beethoven wrote quite a few.
                      We haven't had this before, have we? If so I'll post another "M" later.

Comment

Nordling, Johan. He wrote a novel called "The Moonlight Sonata", around 1911.

Comment

O = "O Freunde, nicht diese Töne". It goes on: "Instead, let's come up with a catchy little tune in D major, 4/4 time that we can all get down and groove to." (Very roughly translated.) Double basses and 'cellos, over to you !!

Comment

Control Tower to Flt. Lt. "Mad Mike" Mike : after my outburst just above, please inform Matron that I've fallen out of my cot again. Do you copy? Over.
                            P is for ...
                            Last edited by Quijote; 10-08-2012, 12:08 PM. Reason: "Nurse" has been upgraded to "Matron"

Comment

Interlude sketch

Matron (huffing and puffing) : Doctor, he's out again!
                              Doctor Psychiatrist : Jeez, Doris, I told you to strap him in!
                              Matron : I know, I know. He's been rambling about that "Blue Baron" again!
                              Shrink : Alright, pass me the tranquilizer gun, would you? This should be fun ...

Comment

Partsongs. A series of Italian style a capella songs mainly written as exercises while B studied vocal composition under Saliery. They are extremely attractive and should be regarded as works in their own right. Their WoO No. is 99. They also have a Hess number, which I forget.

Comment

Working...
                                X