No announcement yet.

What are you listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Michael, it is good to have you back posting on your favourite BRS.!
    🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
      Thank you Michael, it is good to have you back posting on your favourite BRS.!
      Yes, I think I finally sorted out my computer problems (touch wood).

Comment

As on every St. Patrick's Day, I am revisiting Beethoven's Irish song settings, eating corned beef and cabbage (yes, an American thing), and enjoying some Irish whiskey. What could make for a better evening?

Comment

Last night I started listening to Haydn's Oratorio to The Seasons (not to be confused with PDQ Bach's The Seasonings). The quote from the Surprise Symphony took me completely by surprise and reminded me of Peter Schickele. The music is wonderful! I am looking forwards to more on Exploring Music tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
            Last night I started listening to Haydn's Oratorio to The Seasons (not to be confused with PDQ Bach's The Seasonings). The quote from the Surprise Symphony took me completely by surprise and reminded me of Peter Schickele. The music is wonderful! I am looking forwards to more on Exploring Music tonight.
            Yes The Seasons are often overlooked in favour of The Creation, but there is a lot of fine music in this oratorio such as this

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven died 197 years ago today (26th March 1827) - so listening to the 3 Equali for 4 trombones. The 1st and 3rd were played at his funeral 3 days later on 29th March 1827.

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                Beethoven died 197 years ago today (26th March 1827) - so listening to the 3 Equali for 4 trombones. The 1st and 3rd were played at his funeral 3 days later on 29th March 1827.
                RIP

I'm listening the funeral march from the "Eroica" to mark the occasion. It's hard to believe we are only a few years away from the 200th anniversary of his death!

Comment

I should have been listening to Beethoven today but I've only just realised what day it is!
                  Another important date is coming up shortly: May 7th - the 200th anniversary of the first performance of the Ninth symphony.
                  Last edited by Michael; 03-26-2024, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I've been wallowing in Haydn for the past few weeks as I've just got a box set of the 12 London symphonies (Bernstein and the New York Phil).
                    About half of them are completely new to me and it's a most enjoyable experience.
                    Haydn must be the most underrated composer in musical history. I am familiar with about 24 of his symphonies - only 80 more to go!
                    Last edited by Michael; 04-25-2024, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      I've been wallowing in Haydn for the past few weeks as I've just got a box set of the 12 London symphonies (Bernstein and the NYSO).
                      About half of them are completely new to me and it's a most enjoyable experience.
                      Haydn must be the most underrated composer in musical history. I am familiar with about 24 of his symphonies - only 80 more to go!
                      I agree! I went through all of the Haydn symphonies several years ago, and I was constantly surprised that despite the great number of them, each one had something new and interesting to offer. The same with his string quartets. Haydn is well worth setting some time aside to explore, and not just the most famous works.

Comment

I agree with Michael that Haydn is one of the most underrated great composers. I've decided to go through all the symphonies, as well, and listened to #39 in G Minor this morning. That is a delightful sturm und drang work!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

I agree! I went through all of the Haydn symphonies several years ago, and I was constantly surprised that despite the great number of them, each one had something new and interesting to offer. The same with his string quartets. Haydn is well worth setting some time aside to explore, and not just the most famous works.
                          And the piano sonatas!

'Man know thyself'

Comment

And the piano sonatas!

Have you played many of these? I've looked through some, but not very extensively.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post

Have you played many of these? I've looked through some, but not very extensively.
                              I've played my favourites which are no.20 Cminor, No.49 Eb, No.52 Eb, No.50 in C and 46 in Ab.
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

I've played my favourites which are no.20 Cminor, No.49 Eb, No.52 Eb, No.50 in C and 46 in Ab.
                                I just downloaded, from IMSLP, the complete Haydn piano sonatas. I will have to check those out.

Comment

Working...
                                X