This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you listening to now?

I've been listening to Rachmaninov's Etudes-Tableaux performed by a superb pianist friend of mine Yuri Paterson-Olenich. Here's a link to one of them www.kbam.co.uk/y1.mp3

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 10-17-2006).]
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    I've been listening to Rachmaninov's Etudes-Tableaux performed by a superb pianist friend of mine Yuri Paterson-Olenich. Here's a link to one of them www.kbam.co.uk/y1.mp3

Joachim Raff:
    "Jubilee Overture"
    C-major
    opus 103

Raff does very clever things with the British national anthem "God Save the Queen" which was, by the way, the anthem of several German duchies and principalites. In Raff's case, it was for the 25th year of the reign of Adolf, duke of Nassau.

Hofrat
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

I just bought the new soundtrack of 'Copying Beethoven'. Very good.

Heidi

Comment

Originally posted by heidi:
        I just bought the new soundtrack of 'Copying Beethoven'. Very good.

Heidi
        That's not out in stores already, is it? If it is, wow, that was fast. What songs are on it?

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Later on it will be Felix Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream Overture which he considered it to be a lucky inspiration. He said it just came to him after he read the Shakespeare play performed by The Philadelphia Orchestra. One of my favourites of Mendelssohn.

------------------

Comment

I'm listening to Chopin's Etudes, Opus 10.

Comment

A very interesting DVD on the great pianists - fascintaing rare footage of such figures as Plante (born in 1834!) playing magnificently aged 90!, Backhaus, Fischer, Hofman, Rachmaninov and some now rather obscure figures Moiseiwitsch (whom Rachmaninov regarded as superior a pianist to himself) and Cziffra. There was an incredibly dazzling performance by Horowitz playing his own variations on a theme from Bizet's Carmen, but aside from the incredible virtuosic displays on the DVD, it shows the wonderful artistry of these giants from a bygone age. A humbling experience before I start practising Op.109 this morning!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

A positive glut of violin concerti! Joshua Bell playing Barber (which I'd never heard before) and Walton, Oistrakh playing Shostakovich and, above all, Heifetz playing the Boss's one and only! Fascinatingly different styles of playing but with Heifetz the most purely beautiful to my ear.
                Beethoven the Man!

Comment

... Moiseiwitsch (whom Rachmaninov regarded as superior a pianist to himself)...
                  I just watched a DVD recently of Cziffra playing Chopin, Liszt, and Franck. But the best bonus of the DVD was a fantastic video of Moiseiwitsch playing Liszt's transcription of the Tannhauster overture... it was breathtaking. He made those killer octaves look so easy.

Comment

I just came back from a concert that featured an amateur orchestra playing a couple of movements from Dvorak's 7th Symphony (1 and 3), the 3rd from Beethoven's 9th Symphony, and closed with excerpts from Nabuco and Aida by Verdi (ending with the Triumphant March). They did a pretty good job considering they were short in the string section and that the brass were situated acoustically to drown everyone out.

Comment

I have been listening to Nobuo Uematsu. Different albums of his but primarily Final Fantasy X. He is a great composer. They call him the John Williams of the gaming world, along with Jeremy Soule, who I have been listening to some also.

Unfortunately, he has kind of left the company he worked for all these year, Square Enix. I think he will be back, I hope so. I am not positive, but I think he might travel to different places in the world to get musical inspiration for his music. I think that is pretty interesting.

Here are some links:
                      http://www.squaresound.com/musicians...s/uematsu.html
                      http://www.squaresound.com/albums/finalfantasy/ff10.php
                      www.jeremysoule.com

I ask y'all to listen to the FFX songs. They are not all by Nobuo. Try to find the more peaceful ones, like, "At Zanarkand", "Tidus' Theme", "Besaid", "Spiran Scenery", "Song of Prayer", "Suteki da ne (Isn't It Beautiful?)", etc.

[This message has been edited by Preston (edited 10-21-2006).]
                      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Than you Preston, and forum members in general. This is literally my first minutes as a subscriber. I have already followed Preston's links and found wonderful new music from the Squaresound pages. I actually bought something I found there, but on i-tunes. It just plain works for me.

Prsto - if you want to send me an e-mail and correspond about this, let me know. I don't yet publicly post an e-mail address out of a sense for avoiding problems.

Here are some links:
                        http://www.squaresound.com/musicians...s/uematsu.html
                        http://www.squaresound.com/albums/finalfantasy/ff10.php
                        www.jeremysoule.com

I ask y'all to listen to the FFX songs. They are not all by Nobuo. Try to find the more peaceful ones, like, "At Zanarkand", "Tidus' Theme", "Besaid", "Spiran Scenery", "Song of Prayer", "Suteki da ne (Isn't It Beautiful?)", etc.

[This message has been edited by Preston (edited 10-21-2006).][/B][/QUOTE]

Comment

Marilyn Horne singing Rinaldo (Handel).

Comment

Originally posted by GoodListener:
                            Than you Preston, and forum members in general. This is literally my first minutes as a subscriber. I have already followed Preston's links and found wonderful new music from the Squaresound pages. I actually bought something I found there, but on i-tunes. It just plain works for me.

Prsto - if you want to send me an e-mail and correspond about this, let me know. I don't yet publicly post an e-mail address out of a sense for avoiding problems.

GoodListener,
                            Did you listen the orchestral version of "Suteki Da Ne"?

Not trying to get too off topic here but I thought I should mention this because it relates to the music.

If you like the music then you would probably love the games. FFX was great, and I think FFXII will be even better. FFXI was an mmorpg, meaning that it is played online with other people. I did not like it that much, but it had some pretty decent art. The art doesn't compare to FFX though. FFX is amazing. The story is exceptional, also! The games are amazing. Instead of games I call them "visual books". Because that is what they are. Games usually sounds childish to people, and it causes misunderstanding.

If you are looking for a great story with graphics (a visual book) to go with it, then I recommend buying FFXII. It comes out October 31!!! It took them over 4 years to make it.

---------------------------------------
                            Here is the story line to FFXII:
                            Final Fantasy XII takes place mostly in the kingdom of Dalmasca, a small city-state in the world of Ivalice. A neutral party in the past wars between its neighboring kingdoms of Archadia and Rozarria, Dalmasca was ultimately conquered by Archadia and reduced to the status of an occupied state under Archadian rule. Vaan, a street urchin living in the Dalmascan capital of Rabanastre, joins the underground Dalmascan resistance movement and participates in an assault on the royal castle, now occupied by Archadian troops. His involvement in the attack eventually brings him face to face with Ashe, the deposed princess of Dalmasca and the leader of the resistance faction.

Archadian Judge Masters, leaders of the Judges who first appeared in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, are featured prominently in the story. They are the supreme enforcers of Archadian law, and number five total: Gabranth, Ghis, Drace, Zargabaath, and Bergan.
                            ---------------------------------------

Unfortunately, this visual book (VB) does have a little bit of fighting. But not the kind where the VB is based around it, at all. The VB is based around the art and the story.

I prefer visual books with no fighting, they are called "Adventure Games". Here is a good website for those, www.gameboomers.com . You have to look through it to find the good visual books. There are some amazing artists behind these VB's. People please take a look into these they are truly very artistic. Here is one that is simply unreal, http://www.paradise-game-us.com/ . Let me know what y'all think.

Here is the link to the official site of FFXII, www.finalfantasyxii.com . I recommend watching the trailer. Here is the link to where you can order it from, http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=281437 . If you order it be sure to get the walkthrough. Unfortunately the music was not done by Nobuo this time. It was done by another composer, because Nobuo left Square Enix. I believe it is all orchestral this time. Although, there is one song on the OST (original soundtrack) by Nobuo.

Be sure to watch this!!! (spoiler, though)
                            - http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...tasy+XII&hl=en

If the link above doesn't work keep trying it.

Kind Regards Y'all,
                            Preston

[This message has been edited by Preston (edited 10-23-2006).]
                            - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

On NPR today and speaking of Liszt in other posts: "Upon the death of his son, Franz Liszt wanted to write a tribute. He chose a tragic-sounding chorale by Bach, and proceeded to write a set of life-affirming variations on it. Leslie Howard will play Liszt's Variations on Bach's Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Sagen at the Mannes College International Keyboard Institute and Festival in New York."

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X