X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven - Grosse Fugue, Op. 133

Comment

I, too, put on the Grossse Fugue after I saw the movie.

------------------
      To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
      susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
      To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
      susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

I did the same thing Sue! And I got a different perspective of it as well.

Later on it will be Beethoven's Sonata for Violin and Piano, Op. 12, No. 3.

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 11-20-2006).]

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          This made me think of piano roll recordings - I have heard Rachmaninov 'performing' on a Bosendorfer using piano roll recording. There are available through this medium recordings of Faure, Saint-Saens, Mahler, Ravel and many early 20th century pianists.
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...o.x=13&Go.y=11

Thanks Peter these look fascinating - shame the Mahler one isn't available at present. I continue to work through the Rachmaninov set with increasing delight. There's a particularly lovely set with him and Kreisler playing sonatas from Beethoven (Op. 30 no 3), Schubert ( D574) and Grieg (Op.45). I gether they didn't much get on but it doesn't show in the music-making. Can't wait to hear him play Chopin! Also Liszt, Scarlatti,Mozart, Handel, Gluck, Debussy, Bach and Strauss amongst others... Only one other piece from the Boss though - the Turkish march from the Ruins of Athens. Its a fantastic set all round

------------------
          Beethoven the Man!
          Beethoven the Man!

Comment

I've been listening to a beautiful peice -
            Bach arr. Villa-Lobos
            Prelude in D minor, arranged for orchestra of cellos.
            Performed by, the Pleeth Cello Octet.

followed by,
            Haydn Symphony no. 82, ' The Bear '
            Orchestra of The Age of Enlightenment.
            🎹

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner View Post
              Thanks Peter these look fascinating - shame the Mahler one isn't available at present. I
              ------------------
              Beethoven the Man!
              It is available - click on the used and new link.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

I've been listening to Bach's concertos for 2,3 and 4 pianos - the last of these features the former West German Chancellor Helmut Schmitt but I can't tell which of the piano parts he's playing!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter here's a program you would enjoy, tonight on NPR, conductor Bernard Haitink and the Boston Symphony Orchestra will perform Schubert's Symphony No. 3 and Schubert's Military March with James Levine and Evgeny Kissin playing a two-piano version of Franz Schubert's Military March No. 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
                    Peter here's a program you would enjoy, tonight on NPR, conductor Bernard Haitink and the Boston Symphony Orchestra will perform Schubert's Symphony No. 3 and Schubert's Military March with James Levine and Evgeny Kissin playing a two-piano version of Franz Schubert's Military March No. 1.
                    Yes Joy the Schubert 3rd is a fun piece and not played very often - that last movement is particularly exhilarating.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      It is available - click on the used and new link.
                      Thanks again - you're right I missed the link on the first page, just saw the one on the second which hadd no availability of any kind. Will definitely order and report back! Meanwhile listening to a Classic FM Rachmaninov concert - currently his Variations on a theme by Corelli - a new one on me.
                      Beethoven the Man!

Comment

I am listening to Symphony No. 1 of Mahler, Lorin Maazel conducting the Vienna Philharmonic...quite a stunning work! (as are most of Mahler's symphonies!)

Comment

Quite agree re Mahler - especially the 1st. My favourite recording is by Abbado who I heard perform it with the LSO at the Barbican. Mind you I've just bought the Bruno Walter recording of the 9th with the Vienna Phil (Naxos) and its amazing to hear a performance so close to the time of composition and by the orchestra and conductor with whom Mahler was most intimately connected. Have you read his letters to his wife which were published in the last year or so? They are very moving and very illuminating about the context of the music.
                          Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Carl Czerny (1791-1857)
                            Symphonies 2 and 6*
                            SWR Rundfunkorchester Kaiserslautern
                            Grzegorz Nowak conducting

* World premiere recording
                            "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
                              Carl Czerny (1791-1857)
                              Symphonies 2 and 6*
                              SWR Rundfunkorchester Kaiserslautern
                              Grzegorz Nowak conducting

* World premiere recording
                              And what are they like? Czerny is only known to me through his endless piano studies!
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                                And what are they like? Czerny is only known to me through his endless piano studies!
                                In my modest CD collection, I have four of the six Czerny symphonies and all eight Ries symphonies. Believe me, these are undiscovered treasures. It is easy to discern who their teacher was.

Hofrat
                                "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Working...
                                X