Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At Amazon several weeks ago I found volume one of HJ Lim's Beethoven sonata traversal dirt cheap, $10 plus a small amount of shipping. Not bad considering volume one contains two disks cramped full of sonatas. I ordered it despite knowing that ms Lim's interpretations seem to be rather controversial, with many naysayers attacking them. Why not? At the asking price they would at worst provide interesting alternative takes on these works. That was my thinking at the time at any rate.

The order arrived in yesterday's mail. I immediately played disk one and part of disk two through the computer. A bit before supper I played the entirety of disk two over the living room audio system. My take? They are indeed interesting, and will get multiple hearings. But . . . there's enough quirkiness that for me doesn't pan out to keep them off the recommendation list. Recorded sound was excellent through both living room and computer audio system. I definitely prefer Bosendorfer and Steinway over ms Lim's Yamaha, but don't see that as a negative. Something I 'do" dislike . . . whoever mastered the disks left next to no pause between sonatas, at least on disk two, a practice I resoundingly condemn. A major plus . . . ms Lim writes her own extensive notes. I wish that was the norm, assuming the artist in question has anything to say, that is.

Following supper I felt to need to clean my ears with several favorite YouTube Beethoven sonata performances. Ms Lim having opened with the Hammerklavier, I returned to Valentina Lisitsa's fine interpretation of its final movement, which I've linked here before. While listening I noticed a link to her Op.10 No.3 and realized I'd not heard it in quite some time. That was my follow up and man-o-man it blew me away, as we said back in the day. In ms Lisitsa's hands the first movement becomes the delightful sometimes madcap romp it was surely intended to be. The final (fourth) movement is very playful. Lovely third movement. (For some reason I forget my reaction to the second movement.) Here's the opening movement.

Other than the above I've not done an awful lot of listening. I did listen to a disk from my recently bought Beethoven violin/piano sonata set, but the more I hear those interpretations the blander they seem.
    Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 07-12-2015, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post

(Who's on first etc.)
      You have both lost me there.

I think Sorrano was referring to an Abbot and Costello sketch that is almost as old as Beethoven.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        I think Sorrano was referring to an Abbot and Costello sketch that is almost as old as Beethoven.
        Sorrano is showing his age lol.
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Other than the above I've not done an awful lot of listening. I did listen to a disk from my recently bought Beethoven violin/piano sonata set, but the more I hear those interpretations the blander they seem.
          I recommend (on Nimbus records) Benjamin Hudson and Mary Verney's period performances!
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Further thoughts on HJ Lim's Beethoven:

I listened again to disk two, consisting of, in order, No 4 in E-flat Op 7, No 9 in E Op.14 No.1, No 10 in G, Op.14 No.2, No 13 in E-flat Op.27 No.1, and No 14 in C-sharp minor Op.27 No.2 "Moonlight". Now that I am more used to the sound of ms Lim's Yamaha piano I have raised my opinion of these interpretations. There is some very fine musicianship here. Only once do I feel that her sometimes extremely fast (by 'normal' performance standards) tempos is simply too fast for the music to speak properly. The last movement of the Moonlight tends in that direction, and I wish she'd taken it at a slightly slower pace, but I still find it quite enjoyable and certainly prefer her Moonlight to Brautigam's. (Recall that I consider Brautigam's Moonlight the weakest of his interpretations.) Her opening movement has become my hands down preference amongst all Moonlights known to me. The second, relatively traditional, is fine as well.

As to the other sonatas, all are listenable. No major complaints other than that one too-fast section. Heck, maybe I'll come to enjoy even that after a few more hearings. We shall see.

I'll try to listen to disk one again tomorrow or the day after. It was there I had my chief reservations first time round. The deck is rather stacked against her for these sonatas (Hammerklavier, Les Adieux, No 11 Op.22) in that in two of them she goes head to head with Pollini, who I find unsurpassed in both Hammerklavier and Les Adieux, with a close second to Lisitsa in Hammerklavier. In particular, her final movement of Les Adieux sounds rather 'fussy' next to Pollini, or so I thought yesterday. Likewise the last movement of her Hammerklavier didn't always work for me. But . . . I heard it over my computer audio system. Maybe my living room system will clarify things a bit?
            Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 07-12-2015, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
              Sorrano is showing his age lol.
              That bit is probably the most renowned comedy sketch in the United States. This is probably as good an example of the routine:
              [YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcRRaXV-fg[/YOUTUBE]

(Sorry, not really part of the thread but may help clarify another off topic post.)

(Not seeing the youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcRRaXV-fg

Comment

At the risk of incurring the moderators' wrath, I'll draw attention to another vintage sketch. It has been aired before in this forum and it does include Beethoven.

I'll listen to Beethoven's Fifth tomorrow if it will help the integrity of this thread. Any excuse to listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QSv...nDd4m4&index=1

Comment

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBXsIDXxMvM[/YOUTUBE]
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

At the risk of incurring the moderators' wrath, I'll draw attention to another vintage sketch. It has been aired before in this forum and it does include Beethoven.

I'll listen to Beethoven's Fifth tomorrow if it will help the integrity of this thread. Any excuse to listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QSv...nDd4m4&index=1
                    Oh, I remember that one (reruns of course). So funny! Both were great comedians! Does the Fifth tomorrow include any alcoholic fifths?
                    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

What's on second?
                      I don't know is on third!

Comment

[QUOTE=Michael;68218][QUOTE=AeolianHarp;68217]

Well, you should have. Because Beethoven dedicated the last movement of his Ninth Symphony to her - and it's all owed to Joy.

Oh, shucks, thank you, Michael, thank you very much! You are the King of puns

Comment

[QUOTE=Sorrano;68219]

I thought Who was on first.
                          Very good!

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
                            Oh, I remember that one (reruns of course). So funny! Both were great comedians! Does the Fifth tomorrow include any alcoholic fifths?
                            That's an idea. "A Fifth of Beethoven" was a huge disco hit for Walter Murphy back in the seventies.

Today, I also listened to Piano Sonata Opus 31 No. 1 and Opus 27 No. 1.
                            (The above is to keep the thread going properly - and also it's true. )

Comment

Last night my local classical radio station, WBJC, finished a 13-month project of playing all 555 Scarlatti keyboard sonatas. They were all performed by Scott Ross on harpsichord. They played two of them every night at 6:00 PM, and so I heard the final two, 554 and 555, last night.

I didn't hear all of them over the past year, but I heard a lot of them. I would guess I heard around 2/3 of them. I remember playing some of these during my piano lesson days, and I found them rather boring and a lot of the same thing. But in listening to them like this, I found each of them very creative and interesting. I don't remember hearing any that I thought were "bad." I'm sure the excellent performances by Scott Ross helped!

I really like the idea of a radio station going through a large body of work like this. It lets you get deep into a composer's work in a certain genre, a bit at a time. This lets you not only get the big picture, but maybe find some new favorites among works you would otherwise never have heard.

Comment

My two local classical radio stations were playing Beethoven's piano concerto no. 4 and Mozart's sinfonia concertante for violin and viola on my way to work this morning. I couldn't decide which one I wanted to listen to, so I wound up switching back and forth. Not the best way to listen to music, but it got me ready to face the work day!

Comment

Working...
                                X