This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
    My god she is amazing...the allegretto is full of fire- those deep pounding bass notes in the left hand..wow!! It is so thrilling...sends shivers down my spine...BOOOOOM...

I have never heard it played as good as this by anyone.

<embedded video snipped>

Leaves a Steinway behind I tell you!!!
    <Beethoven embedded piano quartet video snipped>
    I especially enjoy the piano quartet video, a work I'm not at all familiar with. Haven't yet heard the entirety of the piano sonatas video.

Sticking with Beethoven played on period instruments, I came across this exciting performance of a movement from the Kreutzer sonata. I easily prefer it to the one found on the conventional instrument set I bought not long ago.

Moving away from the fortepiano, two performances by HJ Lim, Prokofiev Toccata Op.11 and what is surely about as wild a La Valse as one is apt to hear.

Otherwise I have confined myself largely to disks from Brautigam's Beethoven sonata set.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=96&v=1WWz1Abdwgk

Astonishing playing on piano, but I never realized this Spanish piece was originally written for piano, as I am so used to the beautiful classical guitar version by Segovia which to me has so much more soul and emotion. It used to make my dad cry.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCeebWgjrrU[/YOUTUBE]
      Last edited by Megan; 08-07-2015, 07:07 AM.
      🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
        Moving away from the fortepiano, two performances by HJ Lim, Prokofiev Toccata Op.11 and what is surely about as wild a La Valse as one is apt to hear.
        Yes the Prokofiev is an amazing tour de force for the pianist and listener - wonderful!

Listening to Bruckner symphony no.7 and Mozart piano concerto no.22 in Eb
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

The amazing Jonathan Antoine!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-ANfcgJEFI[/YOUTUBE]
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=96&v=1WWz1Abdwgk

Astonishing playing on piano, but I never realized this Spanish piece was originally written for piano, as I am so used to the beautiful classical guitar version by Segovia which to me has so much more soul and emotion. It used to make my dad cry.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCeebWgjrrU[/YOUTUBE]
            Hi Megan, one of my cousins in Chicago would watch his videos and read his books and taught himself how to play the guitar because of Segovia so well that he would play for schools and hospitals and people hire him to play at their parties, etc. He is really wonderful and we all love to listen to him play.
            Last edited by Joy; 08-10-2015, 04:47 PM. Reason: sp
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Beethoven: Septet, Octet for winds,
              Schubert: Octet, Mendelssohn: Octet for Strings.
              Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
                Hi Megan, one of my cousins in Chicago would watch his videos and read his books and taught himself how to play the guitar because of Segovia so well that he would play for schools and hospitals and people hire him to play at their parties, etc. He is really wonderful and we all love to listen to him play.
                Ah how I love the classical guitar and wish I could play! I have a fascinating DVD of the great Julian Bream.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Fingal's Cave

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcogD-hHEYs[/YOUTUBE]

How glorious is this!!! Beautiful, dramatic, stirring..so perfectly evokes the Sea. I love it.
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

STILL Fingal's Cave- I can't stop listening to it..it is so beautiful and evocative..
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

STILL Fingal's Cave- I can't stop listening to it..it is so beautiful and evocative..
                      Yes Fingal's cave is a fine piece, I think even Wagner grudgingly admired it! Mendelssohn's 3rd symphony 'Scottish' is also very evocative.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven again- cello sonatas on period instruments

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        Yes Fingal's cave is a fine piece, I think even Wagner grudgingly admired it! Mendelssohn's 3rd symphony 'Scottish' is also very evocative.
                        It's haunting me Peter! I woke up with it going round in my head today, then when I put classic fm on it came on there too!

Listening now to:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkLat9MSP-Q[/YOUTUBE]
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Must look for Scottish by Felix on YT sometime.
                          Ludwig van Beethoven
                          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Must look for Scottish by Felix on YT sometime.
                            And definitely the 'Italian symphony' as well - less dramatic but naturally sunnier than the Scottish, you'll enjoy both.
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                              And definitely the 'Italian symphony' as well - less dramatic but naturally sunnier than the Scottish, you'll enjoy both.
                              Yes. I love the "Italian"!

Comment

Felix's third symphony is brilliant. I had the ending theme stuck in my head for damn near a week after first hearing it. And I don't care what anyone says, just like Beethoven's Serioso quartet, I love the ending and I don't think it diminishes the rest of the work at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X