This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Give them a break! I read an article by a famous musician (whose name escapes me) and she admitted that it took her 20 years to understand the Grosse Fugue. Even Beethoven tacitly acknowledged that it was very difficult; he supplied a substitute movement without too much fuss.
    It took me about 30 years and yet I cannot say that I "understand" it. But it makes musical sense to me and that's probably as far as I'll get, but I'm very happy with that.
    I envy you, Michael. Anyone who understands any of the GF has my respect.
    Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
      Don't get me wrong! I'm not a musician - I can't even read music - and I don't have a musician's profound insight into this work. But I love every bar of it and it took me a good long time to reach that point.
      Maybe that was one of Beethoven's meanings when he said this music was for a later age: that remark could apply to the individual listener as well as all humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
        Ah yes, the Dorati. It was quite the demo disk at the dawn of the stereo era and holds up amazingly well today. Didn't it originally come with two flags of the appropriate nationalities to be placed atop each speaker, or do I misremember?
        This is the one to get on CD. Comes with commentary on both the 1812 and Wellington's Victory including examples of the cannon and musket fire and details of how the recording was achieved on the military facility. The bells in the 1812 are amazing.
        "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
        --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

That's the one. It is a classic.
          Zevy

Comment

Yesterday I heard Brautigam's fortepiano performance of B's sonata Op.2 No.1, at YouTube rather than over my living room audio system. Other than that I revisited a number of 'potboiler' favorites at YouTube. In reality I've done relatively little listening lately. Certainly not nearly as much as I did up until a few weeks ago.

Comment

This morning:
              Gershwin: Piano Concerto in F

Comment

Mozart: Serenades for winds, K. 388 & 375.
                5 Divertimenti for 6 winds, 2 Divertimenti for 8 winds.
                And more (it was a very long trip...)
                Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
                  When I first heard it I thought what the...?! It's weird! (Sorry Beethoven... ) But as I am eccentric (or so people tell me) I got into it and after about 4 listens I was right into it ..when I saw it played live was that lightbulb moment.
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                  Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

All Chopin's Etudes on an 1849 Erard Piano

My, am I having a treat here! It's ages since I listened to the Etudes ( on my CD played by Murray Perhaia). I’d never heard them on an antique piano before...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuh4yRu-Yow[/YOUTUBE]
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                      When I first heard it I thought what the...?! It's weird! (Sorry Beethoven... ) But as I am eccentric (or so people tell me) I got into it and after about 4 listens I was right into it ..when I saw it played live was that lightbulb moment.
                      4 listens? Well done! It took me about 40. I wonder how many it took Beethoven?
                      Anyway, for the past few days I have been listening to the Beethoven Piano Concertos (or Concerti if you like).

Comment

4 listens? Well done! It took me about 40.
                        I think I revelled in its strangeness I hadn't heard anything like it!

I wonder how many it took Beethoven?
                        Not long I bet as he wrote it!

Anyway, for the past few days I have been listening to the Beethoven Piano Concertos (or Concerti if you like).
                        They’re great. What's your favourite?
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post

They’re great. What's your favourite?
                          Hard to decide between the Fourth and Fifth Piano Concerto.
                          I am just after listening to the ugly duckling of the concerto bunch, the Triple Concerto.

Comment

I am just after listening to the ugly duckling of the concerto bunch, the Triple Concerto.
                            Wash your mouth and ears out with soap Michael!
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Vladimir de Pachmann - Chopin Nocturne In B Major (1925)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7fDE1qxIkY[/YOUTUBE]

This man's father was a violinist who met Beethoven in Vienna!! Brings the time much closer to us doesn't it? Fascinating!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_de_Pachmann
                              Ludwig van Beethoven
                              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Vivaldi, Sonata 'La Folia' Op. 1. no. 12.
                                Musica Antiqua.

Wonderful stirring stuff!
                                🎹

Comment

Working...
                                X