Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The A-Z Beethoven Quiz (rules of the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, what the hell, I'll make a unilateral executive decision as instigator of the damned quiz: XYZ off the menu.

Comment

A-Z Beethoven Quiz Round 15

A-Z Beethoven Quiz Round 15
      A is for ...

Comment

A = Anacrusis. The upbeat to many a Beethoven melody, especially those 'Mannheim' rockets.

Comment

It's official, ladies and gentlemen: the English alphabet now has just 23 letters. But Hey! K can be tricky, and Q too! So now we're down to 21! And I've never particularly liked 'U', so let's call it 20! And don't even get me started on 'J'! The countdown continues....

(I am in a belligerent mood....)....

Comment

Bundeslied, Op.122
            🎹

Comment

X = Xenium (a gift), or in this case, the snuff box presented to Beethoven by the King of Prussia (? can't remember precisely - Michael can correct me...) for the composer's dedication of the two Opus 5 'cello sonatas.
              And very happy Mr van B was with it, too...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                X = Xenium (a gift), or in this case, the snuff box presented to Beethoven by the King of Prussia (? can't remember precisely - Michael can correct me...) for the composer's dedication of the two Opus 5 'cello sonatas.
                And very happy Mr van B was with it, too...

Too late PDG, the next letter is now C,
                🎹

Comment

C = Cantabile. An expression marking used by Beethoven.

Comment

D is for Dolce, another expression used by Beethoven.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                      Too late PDG, the next letter is now C,
                      Hi Megan.

It's okay, I haven't suddenly become dyslexic. It's just that I am opposed to the idea of dropping X, Y and Z from this quiz ("Beethoven: the A - W Quiz").

You know, Barnardo's looks after the displaced and abused children, the RSPCA cares for the sick and injured animals. Well, I offer refuge to the poor, innocent, unloved letters from Philip's (unauthorised) version of the alphabet! For this labour, I receive no government funding, only the affection and respect of the letters themselves. Oh yes, and much fan mail from Scrabble enthusiasts...

From now on, I shall post only Xs, Ys and Zs. Of course, there are not that many anyway, but they deserve their chance to be heard, and once exhausted, I shall retire from this game.

Comment

I've heard tell that now the Qs are demanding equal time. See what you'e started, PDG?

Comment

Edel sei der Mensch, WoO 185
                          Last edited by Megan; 11-20-2012, 11:46 AM.
                          🎹

Comment

I had a lovely E lined up, Megan, but you got in ahead of me with a better one. My reaction was "F....." . I hasten to add, as in:

Fries, Count Moritz von. The 7th symphony is dedicated to him

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Fries, Count Moritz von. The 7th symphony is dedicated to him
                              Can I have a hamburger with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                                Can I have a hamburger with that?
                                Or grilled haddock and Fries, with plenty of HP Fruity sauce.
                                Just cooking now!
                                🎹

Comment

Working...
                                X