Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The A-Z Beethoven Quiz (rules of the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So did we just skip G, H, and I?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      So did we just skip G, H, and I?
      Goodness, How Idiotic of us! I'm glad someone is awake.

Herewith, one G:

Gassner, Dr. The hospital doctor who took care of Beethoven's nephew, Karl, after his suicide attempt.

Comment

Horn Sonata

Beethoven composed his Horn Sonata in F major, Op. 17 in 1800 .

Hope this hasn't been mention already.
        Last edited by Megan; 11-07-2012, 03:24 PM.
        🎹

Comment

Guys and guys of the non-guy kind: I'm in Vienna, can't keep up, get a grip!

Comment

I is for Idiot, certainly an epithet Beethoven applied to servants, publishers, and patrons.

Thanks for the tip, Michael!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
              I is for Idiot, certainly an epithet Beethoven applied to servants, publishers, and patrons.

Thanks for the tip, Michael!
              I know I'm an idiot but there's no need to broadcast it!

Comment

J

The J ewish musicians were not allowed to play music by Beethoven because he was a famed German composer and musician; Jews were not allowed to play German music.

Slap my wrists if I am wrong.
                🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  I know I'm an idiot but there's no need to broadcast it!
                  You are no idiot! Rather you are one of the more clever people here.

Comment

That doesn't say much for the other people here!

Krumpholz, Wenzel. The twelve measure work "Gesang der Monche" was written by B in 1817. to commemorate the death of his friend

Comment

Hi guys (and chaps of the non-chap kind) : Quijote calling from Vienna, my last night, just had my last Wiener Schnitzel [sob! Want more!] sitting in the hotel lobby typing this:
                      L = Lobkowitz, the Lobkowitz Palace where I was this afternoon, feeling up the facade...
                      We haven't done this one already, have we?

Comment

Mannheim rocket. A rapidly ascending phrase which opens the last movement of Mozart's G minor symphony (along with a ton of "Sturm und Drangs" from a slightly earlier period).
                        A very similar theme opens Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 1 in F minor.

Comment

There's a similar rocket in the Scherzo of the 5th Symphony.

Comment

Nameday Overture.

Beethoven Namensfeier Overture in C major, Op.115

Last edited by Megan; 11-11-2012, 04:18 PM.
                            🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                              There's a similar rocket in the Scherzo of the 5th Symphony.
                              Yes - the sequence of intervals is identical to the Mozart theme. (It's not coincidental as Nottebohm has discovered 29 measures of the Mozart finale in B's sketchbooks for the Fifth.)
                              And the opening of the second theme in the C minor's finale is almost identical to that of the slow movement of the Jupiter symphony.

Comment

Back to the Os and I must admit an unfair advantage, having all the texts and titles of the folksongs which came in a booklet with the DGG Complete Beethoven Edition.
                                About a hundred of them begin with "O or Oh!"
                                (As usual, I exaggerate.)
                                I may have used this already, but, trust me, I am the Wizard of Os:

"O Sanctissima" WoO 157, No.4

PDG also has a complete edition but he hates the folksongs. He really does. I wish somebody else would talk to him.

Comment

Working...
                                X