Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The A-Z Beethoven Quiz (rules of the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So we're stuck for an X.

I believe some of Mozart's music was used in the movie X-Men 2.
    And, as you all know, Beethoven probably met Mozart.

How's that for desperation!

Comment

Yaks

What can you do with it? It's like a lot of yaks jumping about."
      --Sir Thomas Beecham on Beethoven's Seventh Symphony

🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        Yaks

What can you do with it? It's like a lot of yaks jumping about."
        --Sir Thomas Beecham on Beethoven's Seventh Symphony

Tommy didn't like Beethoven much. There is another famous quote from him about the late quartets: "Written by a deaf man, best listened to by a deaf man" - or words to that effect.
        He did make an outstanding recording of the Mass in C, though.

Anyway, back to work:

Adamberger, Antonie. An actress who sang and played the part of Klarchen at the first performance of the Egmont music in 1810.

Damnation and blastation! I forgot the Z! I wasn't trying to offload it - I've got one (although it's about the standard of my X. )

Last edited by Michael; 11-03-2012, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Michael, you can delete your A and then add your Z if you like.
          I think I'll give up on the XYZ 's .
          🎹

Comment

Michael, you can delete your A and then add your Z if you like.
            I think I'll give up on the XYZ 's .
            No - my Z is really awful! Where's PDG and Quijote and Sorrano and all? Why should the two of us suffer in silence!

Last edited by Michael; 11-03-2012, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Z is for Zardos, a movie in which Beethoven's 7th Symphony was featured. (It's really quite a bizarre movie!)

It's been a busy weekend and I haven't been around as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                Z is for Zardos, a movie in which Beethoven's 7th Symphony was featured. (It's really quite a bizarre movie!)

It's been a busy weekend and I haven't been around as much.
                Brilliant! It is a weird movie but rather good. Well thought of!

Last edited by Michael; 11-04-2012, 11:58 PM.

Comment

According to the rules, I have to post a B. It's very late and I'm tired so I will take a lazy option:

Beethoven, Gabriele van, Baptised March 24th 1844 at Vienna - Died October 10th 1914 at Vienna. One of the descendants of Karl.
                  I read somewhere a few years back that the last person to bear the name Beethoven worked on the railways in the USA. I haven't been able to find the source again.
                  Where is Roehre when you want him?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Brilliant! It is a weird movie but rather good. Well thought of!

I very much enjoyed the movie; it's getting about time to watch it again.

Comment

Quill pen, Beethoven carried with his conversation books.

Where did he put the ink!?
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

In the Middle Ages, Notaries, who are the people who authenticate documents, wore a belt and from the belt hung the Quil and the small pot with a stopper on it, containing ink, that also hung from the belt.
                        Shakespeare refers to this in one of his plays, when he referes to an inkhorn, which maybe a reference to this practice.
                        I take it that Beethoven would have had a small phial with ink in it, because he always carried his journal with him, squashed into the pockets of his light blue frock coat , so that he could make observations and put down his thoughts as he was walking and writing when he was in the Inn's.
                        Biro's didn't come in until the late 1950's , so there was basically no way of writing in an ink form without carrying the stuff around with you.
                        I am sure all of us of a certain age, can remember the inkwells in our school desk.
                        🎹

Comment

In the Middle Ages, Notaries, who are the people who authenticate documents, wore a belt and from the belt hung the Quil and the small pot with a stopper on it, containing ink, that also hung from the belt.
                          Shakespeare refers to this in one of his plays, when he referes to an inkhorn, which maybe a reference to this practice.
                          I take it that Beethoven would have had a small phial with ink in it, because he always carried his journal with him, squashed into the pockets of his light blue frock coat , so that he could make observations and put down his thoughts as he was walking and writing when he was in the Inn's.
                          Biro's didn't come in until the late 1950's , so there was basically no way of writing in an ink form without carrying the stuff around with you.
                          I am sure all of us of a certain age, can remember the inkwells in our school desk.
                          It seems unlikely to me that Beethoven would have carried ink around with him in that manner as he was likely to slop it everywhere as well as forget it! The pocket sketchbooks are mainly written in pencil and a few are inked over afterwards.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

A mini iPad would have suited him well (plus a good pair of earphones).

Comment

A-Z Beethoven Quiz Round 14
                              Sorry to have been absent of late, I'm in the Black Forest* (back home tomorrow to unpack than pack another suitcase before I hit Vienna...) with bloody snail's pace internet connection (internet USB stick), which is so damned frustrating I haven't bothered trying to keep up with this quiz or the Blue Baron's latest teasers. I'll try and make a quick catch up tomorrow.
                              In the meantime:
                              C= 'cello. LvB wrote quite a bit for this instrument, you all know the details!

* Did you know that the young B's viola (the one he had in Bonn) came from the Black Forest?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                                According to the rules, I have to post a B. It's very late and I'm tired so I will take a lazy option:

Beethoven, Gabriele van, Baptised March 24th 1844 at Vienna - Died October 10th 1914 at Vienna. One of the descendants of Karl.
                                I read somewhere a few years back that the last person to bear the name Beethoven worked on the railways in the USA. I haven't been able to find the source again.
                                Where is Roehre when you want him?

This might be helpful, but as far as working on the railways, probably not too much.

http://www.lvbeethoven.com/Famille/FamilyTreeKarl.html

Comment

Working...
                                X