Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been listening to Bruckner's 7th and the Beatles' "Abbey Road".
    It just proves that I can go for days now without listening to Beethoven. I have no withdrawal symptoms at all.
    In
    fact
    I'm
    absolutely
    fyne

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Indeed - to quote a certain Captain Mainwaring 'I wondered who'd be the first to spot that!'
      Don't tell him your name, Pike!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        Yes he sounds like your man! [...]
        Funny that, as I thought of you when I read the article, especially as one anagram of Percy Grainger gives Carper Greying.

Comment

I now feel energized after listening at full volume to:-

Concerto for piano... no.5 (Op.73) in E flat major "Emperor", 3rd mvt; Rondo
          Performer: Murray Perahia [piano] Performer: Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra Performer: Bernard Haitink

🎹

Comment

Continuing this morning listening to BBC R3. Essential Classics.

9am
            A selection of music including the Essential CD of the Week: Vivaldi Concert for the Prince of Poland, performed by the Academy of Ancient Music: HARMONIA MUNDI HMU 907230.

9.30am
            A daily brainteaser and performances by the Artists of the Week, the Swedish mezzo soprano Anne Sofie von Otter - in Handel (Svegliatevi nel core from Giulio Cesare) and Berlioz (Les nuits d'ete, Op.7).

10.30am
            The Essential Classics guest is Michael Rosen, children's novelist, broadcaster, poet and former Children's Laureate. Today he introduces a favourite piece by a favourite composer and a piece that reminds him of a particular place.

11am
            Sarah's Essential Choice

Sibelius
            Nightride and Sunrise, Op.55
            Berlin Symphony Orchestra
            Kurt Sanderling (conductor)
            CCC 0000162CCC

Also in this hour

Mendelssohn
            Symphony No.3 in A minor, Op.56 The Scottish
            Boston Symphony Orchestra Charles Munch (conductor)
            RCA VD 60483.

🎹

Comment

Last night it was the Kronos Quartet playing George Crumb's Black Angels and an arrangement of Thomas Tallis' Spem in Alium.

Comment

Today:

Salmanov:
                Violin sonata no.2 (1962)

Schönberg:
                Fantasy for violin and piano opus 47 (1949)

Webern:
                4 Stücke opus 7

Stockhausen:
                Tierkreis (1974)

Comment

Welcome back, Roehre, hope your vacation went well!

This evening Performance Today presented a live concert at Carnegie Hall featuring Beethoven's 7th and 5th Symphonies preceded by the Egmont Overture, played by Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique with John Eliot Gardiner. I was able to catch most of the 7th and then the 5th. This was as an electrifying performance or recording that I've heard, very thrilling. With the radio turned up a bit I got a better hearing of some of the timbres of the period instruments and it was a very interesting performance from that perspective.

Comment

Up with the larks again, listening to -

5:03 AM
                    Hellendaal, Pieter (1721-1799)
                    Concerto grosso for strings and continuo in F major, Op.3/3
                    Combattimento Consort Amsterdam

5:14 AM
                    Beethoven, Ludwig van (1770-1827)
                    String Quartet in G major (Op.18 No.2)
                    Bartók Quartet (archive recording)

Welcome back Roehre, you have been missed.
                    Last edited by Megan; 11-17-2011, 04:23 AM.
                    🎹

Comment

Tonight:

Istvan Marta: Doom. A Sigh
                      Ives: They are There
                      Shostakovich: Quartet No. 8

(All performed by the Kronos String Quartet).

Comment

Triangle question.

Listening to Beethoven's String quartet in G major, Op. 18.2, as mentioned above, I distinctly heard the delicate jingle of a triangle , in the first movement. I know it seems unlikely, but i did hear several jingles.

Do triangles have different pitches and are they used in place of a drum beat?
                        Last edited by Megan; 11-17-2011, 04:56 AM.
                        🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                          Triangle question.

Listening to Beethoven's String quartet in G major, Op. 18.2, as mentioned above, I distinctly heard the delicate jingle of a triangle , in the first movement. I know it seems unlikely, but i did hear several jingles.

Do triangles have different pitches and are they used in place of a drum beat?
                          I can assure you there is no triangle in the score! I'm also listening to the Op.18 quartets and yesterday it was Op.18/5 which is I think a superior work to no.2. My favourites from Op.18 are no.1,5,4 in that order - the other three I can take or leave.
                          Triangles can only play one pitch - I've no idea what that is though! No they are not used in place of a drum beat but as part of the percussion ensemble. I'm trying to think of the earliest uses of it in orchestral music and the two examples that immediately spring to mind are Mozart's 'Aus dem Seraglio' and Haydn's 'Military' symphony. Isn't in Mr.Anon's 'Toy' symphony as well?
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Today:

Prokofiev:
                            Violin concerto no.1 in D op.19

Comment

Yesterday morning, on the way to work the radio played Rimsky-Korsakov's Capriccio Espagnol. This morning it was Tchaikovsky's Capriccio Italien. Both works were among the first that were introduced to me as I began to listen to Classical Music.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                                Triangle question.

I hope you're not developing Beethoven's condition, Megan. He heard noises in his ears too!
                                And quite a lot of his music has been used as jingles.

Comment

Working...
                                X