This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    It must be a good student to even be attempting Op. 109. How many of the 32 have you played yourself?
    I've attempted bits of most, but the ones I really studied properly and some I have performed in public are:

Op.10/3, Op.26, Op.28, Op.31/2, Op.78, Op.81a, Op.109, Op.110 and I have to include the 32 variations in C minor which I was quite proud of at the time as a 16 year old student!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
      Kabalevsky:
      Cello concerto no.2 in G opus 77 (1964) (BBC MM CD December 2011 issue)

How was the Kabalevsky? His and Katchachurian's music have oft tickled my ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
        I only know Kabalevsky from his piano pieces for students which are superb teaching material, so I'd be interested as well to know more of his work.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I think it is a good piece. I am wondering as well whether it has influenced shostakovich's 2nd concerto, the latter dating from 1966/'67, kabalevsky's from 1963/'64. At the CD I listened to especially some moments between 7' and 7'40 of the 1st mvt drew my attention as seemingly foreshadowing DSCH's concerto (one of my favourites btw).

Naxos has got a CD with both Kabalevsky cello concertos and one of my Kabalevsky favourites (a bit of nostalgia around the corner, but nevertheless): the symphonic poem Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            I've attempted bits of most, but the ones I really studied properly and some I have performed in public are:

Op.10/3, Op.26, Op.28, Op.31/2, Op.78, Op.81a, Op.109, Op.110 and I have to include the 32 variations in C minor which I was quite proud of at the time as a 16 year old student!
            That last work is no easy one for a 16 year old!

Comment

I think I had my first piano lesson when I was 16, and I would still make a mess of the 32 variations in C minor today!

Comment

Opera Matinee

Gioachino Rossini: Mose in Egitto, azione tragico-sacra from this year's Pesaro Rossini Festival

Set against the Old testament backdrop of the Israelite flight from Egypt, Rossini adds 2 young lovers from each side - inevitably caught up in wider events and powerless to prevent the unfolding tragedy.

Elcia ..... Sonia Ganassi, mezzo-soprano
                Amaltea ..... Olga Senderskaya, soprano
                Faraone ..... Alex Esposito, bass
                Osiride ..... Dmitri Korchak, tenor
                Mambre ..... Enea Scala, tenor
                Aronne ..... Yijie Shi, tenor
                Mose ..... Riccardo Zanellato, bass
                Amenofi ..... Chiara Amaru

Bologna Municipal Theatre Chorus
                Bologna Municipal Theatre Orchestra
                Roberto Abbado, conductor.

🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                  I think it is a good piece. I am wondering as well whether it has influenced shostakovich's 2nd concerto, the latter dating from 1966/'67, kabalevsky's from 1963/'64. At the CD I listened to especially some moments between 7' and 7'40 of the 1st mvt drew my attention as seemingly foreshadowing DSCH's concerto (one of my favourites btw).

Naxos has got a CD with both Kabalevsky cello concertos and one of my Kabalevsky favourites (a bit of nostalgia around the corner, but nevertheless): the symphonic poem Spring
                  I'll have to check that out; thanks for the link!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    I think I had my first piano lesson when I was 16, and I would still make a mess of the 32 variations in C minor today!
                    I think I'd have to do quite a lot of practice on them myself!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Today:

Merikanto:
                      Symphonic Study (1928) (R3:CotW)

Sallinen:
                      Introduction and Tango Overture Op.74b for piano and strings (1996) (R3:CotW)

Brahms:
                      Cello sonata no.1 in e op.38 (BBC MM CD December 2011 issue)

Comment

Today:

Rebelo:
                        Lamentations for Maundy Thurday
                        Vesper Psalms
                        (1657)

Stravinsky:
                        Agon (1957)

Prokofiev:
                        Piano concerto no.3 in C op.26 (1921)

Harmonia Mundi CD Chansons de la Renaissance
                        Music by i.a. DesPrez, Lejeune, Compère, Janequin, Clemens non Papa, de Rore, di Lasso, Gesualdo , Byrd and Dowland.

Comment

Roehre, who was playing the Prokofiev? I have a recording of Martha Argerich doing (I believe) both the 2nd and 3rd. I rather like how she handled the 2nd (I have the piano part to it, so was interested in it) but am not sure if I have the 3rd.

Comment

Today:
                            early symphonies of Haydn

Comment

Originally posted by Alberto Venni View Post
                              Today:
                              early symphonies of Haydn
                              Last night I was listening to some of Haydn's Organ concerti and thinking about listening to the early symphonies, as well.

Comment

Roehre, who was playing the Prokofiev? I have a recording of Martha Argerich doing (I believe) both the 2nd and 3rd. I rather like how she handled the 2nd (I have the piano part to it, so was interested in it) but am not sure if I have the 3rd.
                                The recording I listened to was Argerich/Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra/chailly. Live recording from December 19th 1998.

Comment

Working...
                                X