X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today:

JSBach:
    Cantatas BWV 51, 99 and 138 (for Trinity 15 ,Today)

Janacek:
    The excursions of Mr.Broucek (1917) (suite, arr. Breiner)
    (More Janacek, Bonnie )

Delius:
    Brigg Fair – an English Rhapsody (1907)

Finzi:
    Let us Garlands bring op.18 (1942)

Comment

Being inspired by Roehre, I've decided to check out some of the composers on youtube that he has been listing. Right now I am listening to Bacewicz's Quartetto for four Violins. Now it's Krakowiak, same composer. This might be an excerpt, I don't know, as I am totally unfamiliar with the music. It's a pity that there is such an overload of music that many wonderful works get lost to the mainstream.

Also listening to Bargielski's "Conversation with a shadow" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP8KYkOeWnM). This is just as interesting visually as it is aurally. However, I do not recommend this to Peter or Preston (among others that probably would not enjoy this).

Thanks, Roehre, for wonderful "suggestions"!

Comment

Today:

Birtwistle:
        9 Pieces for string quartet: Frieze & Fantazia IV (1989/1996) (R3: TtN)

Janacek:
        The excursions of Mr.Broucek (1917) (suite, arr. Breiner)

Bolivian Baroque Music from the missions of Chiquitos and Moxos Indians (in the Bolivian Jungle):
        Anonymus composers as well as music by Domenico Zipoli.

Comment

Sorrano, I listened to Conversation With A Shadow, and what I thought of it was, simply, that it has no feeling. Perhaps, I misunderstand the piece. Though, I imagine that while it may have somekind of modern theory behind it- it has no real feeling. Which is a problem, to my mind?
          - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Today:

Janacek:
            Kata kabanova (suite, arr. Breiner)

Berg:
            Piano sonata opus 1

Keuris:
            Concerto for saxophone quartet and orchestra (1986)

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
              Sorrano, I listened to Conversation With A Shadow, and what I thought of it was, simply, that it has no feeling. Perhaps, I misunderstand the piece. Though, I imagine that while it may have somekind of modern theory behind it- it has no real feeling. Which is a problem, to my mind?
              Often you get out of a piece what you put into it. Both from a visual and aural standpoint I got quite a bit out of it and enjoyed it very much. You speak of "feeling". For me there was a lot of feeling in this, from curiosity, to resentment, to acceptance.

On topic: Picked up on the last of the Adagio of Grieg's Piano Concerto (radio) and the overture to the Mikado.

Comment

Breakfast listening

A Grieg Humoresque

and Sonata in F major, by Corelli.

Elgar's Nimrod, from Enigma variations.

Bach's Italian Concerto.

Monteverdi, Laudate Dominum

Last edited by Megan; 09-15-2010, 07:31 AM.
                🎹

Comment

Schumann's Symphony No. 2 was playing when the radio came on. That is an excellent way to wake up! The performance was by the Seattle Symphony with Gerard Schwarz; an excellent and vibrant interpretation!

Comment

this afternoon listening.

Bruckner: Symphony No. 9 in D minor

Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester
                    Herbert Blomstedt, conductor.

I really enjoyed listening to Bruckner's 9th this afternoon, in fact its not so much listening as becoming a part of it.
                    In T.S. Eliot's words, ''For as long as the music goes on, you are part of the music and the music is part of you.''

I loved the way the moods flow into one another, a bit like a sea of being.
                    Last edited by Megan; 09-16-2010, 07:09 AM.
                    🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                      this afternoon listening.

Bruckner: Symphony No. 9 in D minor

Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester
                      Herbert Blomstedt, conductor.

I really enjoyed listening to this piece this afternoon, in fact its not so much listening as becoming a part of it.
                      In T.S. Eliot's words, ''For as long as the music goes on, you are part of the music and the music is part of you.''

I loved the way the moods flow into one another, a bit like a sea of being.
                      Megan, does your comment about "moods flowing into one another, like a sea of being" apply to the Mahler, the Bruckner, or both? I ask because there is something (to my ears / brain) about "swelling" (tidal forces) in the first movement of Bruckner's 9th.

Comment

Today:

Suchon:
                        Ballad for horn and orchestra (1928) ( R3: TtN)

Janacek:
                        The Makropoulos Affair: suite (suite, arr. Breiner)

Webern:
                        Pieces opus 10
                        Symphony opus 21
                        Variations opus 30

Krenek:
                        Symphonic elegy In memoriam Anton Webern opus 105 (1945/’46)

Anton Webern was shot this day in 1945

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                          Anton Webern was shot this day in 1945
                          A victim of "friendly fire", perhaps? Or "collateral damage" ?

Comment

I do admire military "double-think".

Comment

With thanks to George Orwell.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                                Megan, does your comment about "moods flowing into one another, like a sea of being" apply to the Mahler, the Bruckner, or both? I ask because there is something (to my ears / brain) about "swelling" (tidal forces) in the first movement of Bruckner's 9th.

Yes Philip, I was referring to Bruckner's 9th.
                                I always think with Bruckner that he is like life itself, in that his music widens and broadens out in and through the symphonies, leading into a great sea of eternity. It's the sense that we are part of the whole that I get with Bruckner. Mahler is a bit different for me, there is always a kind of contraction in him , even though he can be exquisite in the 3rd and the 5th.
                                I don't feel his symphonies really go anywhere and there seem to be so much unresolved or puzzling at the end of them. Of course, both Bruckner and Mahler are symphonic masters.
                                With Bruckner I do feel he was a person of great faith, very simple and appealing , you always get there in the end with Bruckner. With Mahler it's quite otherwise , I think.
                                🎹

Comment

Working...
                                X