Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 16 in G major, Op. 31, No. 1. Some wonderful humor in this one, of course. Perfect for this rainy day.

Comment

Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody 2, the original for piano. I am really enjoying this piece. I have listened to it for orchestra, but only once- so, off to do that again in a moment.

I found something interesting while looking for the Liszt Rhapsody- Liszt's music based on themes from Beethoven's The Ruins of Athens!
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Today:

Puccini:
        La Rondine

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
          Today:

Puccini:
          La Rondine
          Must have been a busy day for you, Roehre, !

Comment

Today:

Beethoven, Trio "The Ghost", Du Pre/Zukerman/Barenboim

The sea is thundering, pounding and aggressive today - just part of its ever-changing mood (I know people like this, really!). The company has been congenial and the whole atmosphere is being settled at last by Beethoven.

I had to come back and edit this one hour after posting - there are 2 enormous whales off the coast right now playing in the water as they head south!! The sea has settled and they are clearly visible. Somehow one feels very insignificant now!!
            Last edited by Bonn1827; 10-01-2010, 03:41 AM. Reason: Moby Dick

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
              Must have been a busy day for you, Roehre, !
              An hour and a half of music, it still was Preston

===========

Today:

Puccini:
              Madama Butterfly

Ferdinand David:
              Violin Concerto no. 5 in D minor opus 35 (1858) (R3: P03)

Bella:
              String quartet in c op.25 (1880 rev 1925)

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                An hour and a half of music, it still was Preston
                I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Not to blame you, I should have been more clear.

I was saying that since you only posted one piece of music, when you usually post a good bit more, you must have not had the time to listen to more music, , therefore making it a busy day.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                  I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Not to blame you, I should have been more clear.

I was saying that since you only posted one piece of music, when you usually post a good bit more, you must have not had the time to listen to more music, , therefore making it a busy day.
                  I normally take the time to listen to approximately 2 hours of music, usually spread over the day. It was rather busy, as it certainly was even more today, and still I managed to listen to a complete opera .

Today:

Bella:
                  String quintet in d (1868)

Comment

Today:

Puccini: "Tosca" Act 1 - Maria Callas/Guiseppe de Stephano

This fabulous opera and performance captures the awesome, frightening and transcendent qualities of love - stripped of passion's (merely) physical properties. Puccini was able to capture this in his music (incredible, when you think of what was happening a couple of countries away in the Second Viennese School!). Shakespeare captured the same kind of love and passion with language - particularly from "Othello" -

"Perdition catch my soul but I do love thee, and when I love thee not chaos is come again". (These lines always rocked my senior English students to the core each time I read them!)

All this goes beyond the merely physical and, certainly, melodramatic.
                    Last edited by Bonn1827; 10-03-2010, 12:28 AM. Reason: "Think of me as one who loved not to wisely, but too well".

Comment

Working...
                    X