This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you listening to now :)

Another round begins for all our discerning and dedicated classical music listeners.

Listening earlier to -

Mozart's Dissonance Quartet. K465

Haydn Quarted in C minor.
    Last edited by Megan; 08-10-2010, 06:57 AM.
    🎹

Listening to Mischa Maisky play some of Bach's works for solo cello. Is anyone familiar with his playing?
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
      Listening to Mischa Maisky play some of Bach's works for solo cello. Is anyone familiar with his playing?
      Yes. There was an early version that I gave away. I have a set that has a disc with the score, if one wants to watch and listen. Personally, he doesn't do it for me. I would rather listen to a lot of other cellists playing the Bach Suites.
      Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
        Yes. There was an early version that I gave away. I have a set that has a disc with the score, if one wants to watch and listen. Personally, he doesn't do it for me. I would rather listen to a lot of other cellists playing the Bach Suites.
        I have heard his name before, though until two days ago had never heard him play anything. Apparently, a lot of people consider his playing to be phenomenal? Personally, I do not know enough about the cello (or music) to know specifics, but I did enjoy listening to him play movements from Bach's cello suites.

Though, as for the big names, the only cellists I know of are Rostropovich, Pablo Casals, and Yo-Yo Ma. And, unfortunately I have not heard much of them.
        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

He is a great virtuoso. 'Just not my taste.
          Zevy

Comment

Korngold violin concerto
            Brilliantly played by violinist, Leonidas Kavakos.
            🎹

Comment

Today:

Goehr:
              Romanza for cello and orchestra opus 24 (1968) 

Ella Fitzgerald – The Cole Porter Songbook

Comment

Obviously a man of exquisite taste and refinement (you are), sir!!

Yes, Cole Porter...
                What must he have thought when he heard Ella singing his songs - we can only imagine...unless there is documentary evidence of his views somewhere?

I love Porter's lyrics to "Where is the Life that Late I Led" from "Kiss Me Kate". This shows an urbane, international sophisticate representing the zeitgeist!!

"Where is Rebecca - my Becky-Weckio?
                Should still she be cruising that amusin' Ponteveccio"!!

Where are our composers of elan and elegance today?

Today's listening, driving into the city, on the national FM network:
                Tchaikovsky, Piano Concerto No. 1 - Argerich/Berliner Philharmoniker/Abbado

I couldn't help feeling that, after all, this work is vulgar!! I do enjoy it, but have to be in the mood. I remember having a huge argument with a friend about it years ago when he said that Pytor was a vulgarian who wore his heart on his sleeve. I was indignant, but he was right in some respects.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                  Obviously a man of exquisite taste and refinement (you are), sir!!

Yes, Cole Porter...
                  What must he have thought when he heard Ella singing his songs - we can only imagine...unless there is documentary evidence of his views somewhere?

I love Porter's lyrics to "Where is the Life that Late I Led" from "Kiss Me Kate". This shows an urbane, international sophisticate representing the zeitgeist!!

"Where is Rebecca - my Becky-Weckio?
                  Should still she be cruising that amusin' Ponteveccio"!!

Where are our composers of elan and elegance today?

Today's listening, driving into the city, on the national FM network:
                  Tchaikovsky, Piano Concerto No. 1 - Argerich/Berliner Philharmoniker/Abbado

I couldn't help feeling that, after all, this work is vulgar!! I do enjoy it, but have to be in the mood. I remember having a huge argument with a friend about it years ago when he said that Pytor was a vulgarian who wore his heart on his sleeve. I was indignant, but he was right in some respects.
                  Yes I can understand that position for some of Tchaikovsky and I too have a love/hate relationship with piano concerto 1, the 2nd is finer in my view.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Been listening to Mahler's 3rd and 5th symphonies at the proms and some Scarlatti sonatas which never fail to impress with their scope of imagination.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have an excellent recording of some Scarlatti sonatas played by Murray Perahia. They are lively, imaginative and vigorous little vignettes - and I could never master playing any of them myself. Do you think it merely apocryphal that there was a 'play off' between Handel and Scarlatti to see who was the best on the keyboard (harpsichord/clavichord?). Or did it really happen?

I remember lending this Scarlatti CD to a Deputy Principal at my last school and he consolidated his love of classical music from that and our subsequent long chats!! When I left the school I was surpised to find a CD he'd ordered in from Amazon of Shostakovich's piano music sitting on my desk, wrapped in Xmas paper. It's lovely when we can bring others into the family of music-lovers, and it can be appreciated!!

I enjoy the 2nd Tchaikovsky too - especially that cello obbligato in the 2nd movement.

Comment

Schumann's Kinderszenen was featured this morning. These are lovely pieces, as well as Album für die Jugend.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                          Yes I can understand that position for some of Tchaikovsky and I too have a love/hate relationship with piano concerto 1, the 2nd is finer in my view.
                          It was Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto and Piano Concerto No. 1 that were mainly responsible for my serious interest in classical music, and remain two of my favorite pieces of music.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                            It was Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto and Piano Concerto No. 1 that were mainly responsible for my serious interest in classical music, and remain two of my favorite pieces of music.

I agree, Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto is one fine masterpiece !

🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                              I agree, Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto is one fine masterpiece !

According to one of the critics at the premiere of the Tchaikovsky Violin concerto the question should be put whether music actually can stink

Comment

Working...
                              X