Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You mean that the Op. 132 piece is where Beethoven is grateful to God for allowing him to recover from his illness, presumably?

And, boy, the chapel must have been an awfully long way from the grave if they played the whole momvement - I can walk a mile in 18 minutes (even when I'm carrying a coffin...).

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
      You mean that the Op. 132 piece is where Beethoven is grateful to God for allowing him to recover from his illness, presumably?

And, boy, the chapel must have been an awfully long way from the grave if they played the whole momvement - I can walk a mile in 18 minutes (even when I'm carrying a coffin...).
      Thank you PDG!! Yes, the grave was about 100 metres from the chapel, so we couldn't hear the entire movement.

And now the joke I promised - actually it's an anecdote concerning Spike Milligan (you've heard of him, surely). I understand he had the following message engraved on his tombstone : "I told you I was feeling ill !"

Comment

Tallis - 'Spem in Alium" and (just a little contrasting) Bartok's 5th quartet!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well, I just had to listen to the Serkin/Bernstein recording of Beethoven's 5th Piano Concerto. It's quite an exciting performance! This morning picked up on the Pathetique Sonata, as well.

Comment

Ha - great minds! I was just listening to the Bronfman/Zinman recording of the Emperor - very powerful and full of energy as you'd expect but not so exquisitely beautiful in the Adagio or as majestic in the final allegro as Brendel with either Levine or Rattle (I prefer the latter). I also have the classic Wilhelm Kempff/Leitner recording which is consistently insightful.

On the radio coming home from Salisbury Cathedral I heard what must be the most sluggish performance of The Lark Ascending ever by Nicola Benedetti of all people Don't know if she's too young ever to have heard a lark but this one would have trouble getting up in the morning much less ascending! I think this piece is suffering from massive over exposure and in danger of being done to death which is a shame because when done well it is exquisite - still think the best recording I've heard is Iona Brown and the Academy of St Martin in the Fields but I'm open to other suggestions...
            Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Mozart: Clarinet Concerto in A, K622
              John Bradbury (clarinet)
              BBC Philharmonic
              Gunther Herbig (conductor)
              🎹

Comment

Via radio this evening a double dose of Beethoven. The "Egmont" Overture, Op. 84 with The Chamber Orchestra of Europe and conductor Bernard Haitink
                also his 32 Variations on an Original Theme in C Minor, WoO 80 with Pianist Ingrid Fliter. Looking forward to that.
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Bach partitas and sonatas for solo violin - what an astonishing achievement - 4 part fugues on one violin!
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    Bach partitas and sonatas for solo violin - what an astonishing achievement - 4 part fugues on one violin!
                    Peter, would mind explaining to me what 4 part fugues are?

Listening to Mozart's Piano Concerto 27, on YouTube, played by Larrocha.

Glad to see that the forum is back up and running well.

Many Thanks,
                    Preston
                    Last edited by Preston; 05-22-2008, 02:04 PM.
                    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      Love it! You gave me a taste for Bach today so I will listen to some of his suites and concertos.
                      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Hello

Dear sirs :
                        please inform how can i get free download of Bethoven symphonies?
                        your kind attention is highly appriciated.

Comment

Originally posted by said View Post
                          Dear sirs :
                          please inform how can i get free download of Bethoven symphonies?
                          your kind attention is highly appriciated.
                          Have you tried a search engine? NPR had a site with the symphonies, but it appears that the mp3's have been removed.

Comment

Hans Pfitzner

I'm listening to Pfitzner's Piano Trio op. 8 in F major.

Arno

Comment

Beethoven's Pastoral...

Listening to Beethoven's Pastoral symphony. I like to listen to it when I want to relax, it really calms me, except for the fourth movement. This symphony is truly a masterpiece!, as are all Beethoven's, I think. I love the 2nd and 5th movements. After that dissonance, cloudiness, darkness, etc., in the 4th movement, light comes and provides such pleasant, joyous, etc., feelings.

Beethoven, said that this piece was more about feelings than visual, but that there were some visual aspects.
                              - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Joseph Martin Kraus (1756-1792):
                                "Aeneas i Carthago" opera in 5 acts
                                Recording of live performance by Stuttgart State Opera
                                summer of 2007
                                "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Working...
                                X