Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's awesome Emperor Concerto, Op.73. Surely, it better describes the turbulant times in which the composer lived than any diary ever could....
    That astonishing drop from B major to B flat major before the Rondo.....

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
      Beethoven's awesome Emperor Concerto, Op.73. Surely, it better describes the turbulant times in which the composer lived than any diary ever could....
      Which recording?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
        Which recording?
        If one were to strictly apply the philosophical conjectures in Lydia Goehr's "The Imaginary Museum of Musical Works", Sorrano's question about the 'astonishing semitonal drop from B major to B flat' would be redundant, if one were to consider the work as an autonomous object (an aspect of the historical ideology that I alluded to in a recent posting (Preston's "Karl van Beethoven" thread). The fact that Sorrano asks for a specific recording gives the lie to any such notion.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
          If one were to strictly apply the philosophical conjectures in Lydia Goehr's "The Imaginary Museum of Musical Works", Sorrano's question about the 'astonishing semitonal drop from B major to B flat' would be redundant, if one were to consider the work as an autonomous object (an aspect of the historical ideology that I alluded to in a recent posting (Preston's "Karl van Beethoven" thread). The fact that Sorrano asks for a specific recording gives the lie to any such notion.
          I have decided not to edit my posting above, as it is a superb example of "talking before thinking". My apologies. What I wanted to say is this : PDG describes an 'astonishing drop from B major to B flat major' in B's Emperor Concerto (between the second movement and the Rondo); Sorrano then asked "what recording" and I thought that Sorrano was asking about a specific recording that justifies or demonstrates this. I may have been reading too much into his question, hence the mention of Lydia Goehr above. It seems on reflection that Sorrano was simply asking about which recording as a general point of interest, and not for any deeper philosophical import. Sorry. You know, here in France I am too accustomed to long "liquid" lunches.

Comment

Indeed, I was asking "Which recording" as a point of curiosity. Just a few days ago I listened to Van Cliburn with Fritz Reiner (CSO) which was quite enjoyable but maybe not as exciting for me as the Bernstein/Serkin recording from the early '60's. Sometimes points of reference help with the understanding of the questions.

Comment

Thank you Sorrano. PDG, as a general point of interest, do you have a particular performance in mind? For me : Emil Gilels. Not Rosen. For you?

Comment

PDG, you exercise me, but you are due a sober resonse, though it is one related to the "historical ideology" I have referred to elsewhere. Yes, it is a wonderful concerto, and the moment you describe equally so. As to describing times better than any diary ...

Could we say the same about, let us say, a work by Pérotin? Of course not. And why not?

Now, I share Kinderman's view that a fully "holistic" approach is what is neeed, i.e. a conflation of the purely analytic / formal with bibliographic aspects, but surely ...

Comment

Which recording?
                  I can't remember now! But I think it was Pollini from 1983 on Deutsche Gramaphon (I've played several versions recently)..........
                  A big turn off though is when the pianist 'sings along' to what he's playing (as Pollini does).......
                  Last edited by PDG; 04-30-2008, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Indeed, I was asking "Which recording" as a point of curiosity. Just a few days ago I listened to Van Cliburn with Fritz Reiner (CSO) which was quite enjoyable but maybe not as exciting for me as the Bernstein/Serkin recording from the early '60's. Sometimes points of reference help with the understanding of the questions.
                    My problem with listening to (especially) concerto recordings from the 60s or earlier, is that the piano bass tends to be submerged by the orchestral bass.

Comment

PDG, you exercise me, but you are due a sober resonse, though it is one related to the "historical ideology" I have referred to elsewhere. Yes, it is a wonderful concerto, and the moment you describe equally so. As to describing times better than any diary ...

Could we say the same about, let us say, a work by Pérotin? Of course not. And why not?

Now, I share Kinderman's view that a fully "holistic" approach is what is neeed, i.e. a conflation of the purely analytic / formal with bibliographic aspects, but surely ...
                      Another liquid lunch, Phil?

Comment

Bach Magnificat - magnificent!
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

My problem with listening to (especially) concerto recordings from the 60s or earlier, is that the piano bass tends to be submerged by the orchestral bass.
                          There are, indeed, issues with the recording techniques of the older recordings. However, I do think the Bernstein/Serkin is worth a listen, if only to hear the chemistry between the two that generates the excitement of the final movement. That came on my radio in the early morning hours (my alarm clock) and by the time it was finished I was absolutely awake and spellbound.

Comment

This morning the radio featured works of Howard Hanson, Henry Cowell, and Aaron Copland, a nice way to start the day!

Comment

I had to attend a funeral today. On the PA system : Arvo Pärt, Fratres, for 'cello and piano, and as the coffin was carried out, Beethoven Op. 132, the 3rd movement (Heiliger Dankgesang). I don't think anyone noticed the irony with the Beethoven piece.

Comment

I had to attend a funeral today. On the PA system : Arvo Pärt, Fratres, for 'cello and piano, and as the coffin was carried out, Beethoven Op. 132, the 3rd movement (Heiliger Dankgesang). I don't think anyone noticed the irony with the Beethoven piece.
                                Members of this forum will of course understand the irony. You do, don't you?
                                If you respond to this posting I will treat you to a little joke that I think you will appreciate (or at least PDG will, because in actual fact we think along similar lines).

Comment

Working...
                                X