Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quijote: An enthusiastic ensemble can do wonders for just about any piece of music. That had to be one of the most delightful Vivaldi performances I've seen/listened to!

Comment

On a separate note , I listened to Haydn's 41st Symphony in C. I got the impression that Haydn was playing with and comparing the attacks of the notes in the last movement, first with the tonguing of the brass instruments to the repeated notes in the strings. That was very delightful to listen to, as well as the Vivaldi in the previous post. If given a choice between this 41st and Mozart's 41st I would take the Haydn. But that may partly be due to an overplayed Mozart.

Comment

Elgar's overture 'In the South' - obviously influenced by Richard Strauss and written during a stay in Alassio, Italy. Look out for the touching serenade (10'50).

'Man know thyself'

Comment

I am listening to Peter's Elgar post. Earlier listened to Haydn's Symphony #42.

Comment

The Transformation music from Wagner's Parsifal in excellent 1972 Solti recording.

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven for Three

Emanuel Ax, Leonidas Kavakos and Yo-Yo Ma released in 2022 piano trio arrangements of LvB symphonies 2, 5 and 6.

They are wonderful.

Here's an example:

Comment

And check out their rendition of the "Storm" movement from LvB's 6th symphony. I was curious to see how they handled that!

Comment

Not so serious , but just for fun. Bagpipes and Saw blade, playing Amazing Grace.
                  What if I have to suffer this in purgatory -

https://youtu.be/HOdZpvVykcl

Last edited by Megan; 06-11-2024, 09:00 AM.
                  🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                    And check out their rendition of the "Storm" movement from LvB's 6th symphony. I was curious to see how they handled that!

Very effective, more so than the Liszt piano transcription in my view. However you need the powerful timpani strokes and blasting brass in this movement to create the full thunderstorm effect!

'Man know thyself'

Comment

[Megan 119293]Not so serious, but just for fun. Bagpipes and Saw blade, playing Amazing Grace.

[/QUOTE]

Truly atrocious. By the way, hasn't the Catholic Church moved away from Purgatory, Limbo, and so on?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter

Very effective, more so than the Liszt piano transcription in my view. However you need the powerful timpani strokes and blasting brass in this movement to create the full thunderstorm effect!

True. Which is why, I suppose, LvB wrote the symphony and not a piano Trio!

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                          [Megan 119293]Not so serious, but just for fun. Bagpipes and Saw blade, playing Amazing Grace.

Truly atrocious. By the way, hasn't the Catholic Church moved away from Purgatory, Limbo, and so on?[/QUOTE]

Yes , the concept of purgatory is in the bible, in several places, but we shan't expand on that subject on this thread.

🎹

Comment

Working...
                          X