Tilting at windmills in Vienna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few snapshots from Quijote Vienna trip

Let's see if this works. Please see attachment.
    Attached Files

Comment

It worked! I'd better explain this photo above: I was walking around Leopoldstadt where my hotel was, looking for a restaurant I'd been recommended and saw this little car repair garage. I wanted to ask the guy inside if he was, well, you know, related to Antonin but I was too hungry.

Comment

Here's one outside the church where Beethoven's funeral was held (see Vienna report above).
        Attached Files

Comment

Here's the church where Beethoven's funeral was held (see Vienna report above).
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's the interior of that church.
            Attached Files

Comment

And another angle in the same church of the entrance and organ loft.
              Attached Files

Comment

And here's a shot of the entrance to his original resting place in the Währing cemetery, today called the Schubertpark.
                Attached Files

Comment

So here's Beethoven's original resting place where he lay for 50 years or so before being exhumed (poor guy!) to the Central Cemetery (photos of that later...). Schubert also was there and also later exhumed to the Central Cemetery.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Same shot, but this time with both LvB and Schubert graves side by side. In the Central Cemetery today they are also not far apart.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here's a shot of the lodgings where LvB wrote his famous Testament. Those with a photographic eye will see all these photos as a testament to my camera incompetence!
                      Attached Files

Comment

One of the interior (Heiligenstadt lodgings).

Comment

Hmm ... technical problems I see. I'll continue later tonight, got to dash!

Comment

Thanks for sharing those! In looking at these I find it hard to verbalize what I am seeing; very touching to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                              Thanks for sharing those! In looking at these I find it hard to verbalize what I am seeing; very touching to me.
                              My pleasure, Sorrano. That original resting place of Beethoven's really got to me, I can tell you.
                              Bit disappointing on the Bruckner side, too, but maybe I'll do Vienna another time and with better preparation. At 98€ return flight I'm sure I'll be going again!
                              OK, now I'm going to try to post a few more snapshots. Bear with me, as technology and Quijote are uneasy bed-fellows ...

Comment

OK, here's a shot of the interior of B's lodgings in Heiligenstadt where he penned the "Testament". By the way, I won't post the photo where I asked Hollywood to try and pocket some of the exhibits ...
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X