No announcement yet.

Local places of interest in your town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Megan, I'll give that a try later tonight ot tomorrow.

Comment

Well, I managed to copy the link (from Photobucket), but I don't know how to import the actual image. Can anyone help me, please?
      By the way, the photo is from Venice, the Future Pass Asia exhibition I referred to elsewhere on this forum.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...g/P8090151.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
        Yes, when I master the technique I shall show you all the wonders of Strasbourg : the interior of my fridge with its various delicacies, my wine cellar ...
        ROTFL!!!
        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Oh my, its a bit large.
          🎹

Comment

Thanks Megan, I'll give that a try later tonight ot tomorrow.
            http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...g/P8090151.jpg

see the link address you posted.
            Just put in front of it [img]then at the end of it put[/img]

make sure the brackets are close up to the writing. and don't forget to put the little slash in the end brackets.
            I hope that's not too muddly for you. I am sure you will get there. I can't wait to see the wonderful pictures of Strasbourg!
            Last edited by Megan; 09-06-2011, 04:58 PM.
            🎹

Comment

Yes! It works! Many thanks, Megan. Photos of Strasbourg and endless passages from scores showing odd harmonies to follow ...
              (You will all regret this new technique that has now been revealed to me...)

Comment

Brilliant! you're on a roll now Philip.

Oooh eck, what have we done ,

Last edited by Megan; 09-06-2011, 05:24 PM.
                🎹

Comment

Yes! It works! Many thanks, Megan. Photos of Strasbourg and endless passages from scores showing odd harmonies to follow ...
                  (You will all regret this new technique that has now been revealed to me...)
                  Yes, and as I posted in the other thread, you don't need to manually type in the image tags. Just click that little button that looks like a picture of mountains when you are typing in a post, and it will do it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    Yes, and as I posted in the other thread, you don't need to manually type in the image tags. Just click that little button that looks like a picture of mountains when you are typing in a post, and it will do it for you.
                    Thank you too, Chris. Let's give it a go as you suggest ... one moment please ...
                    OK, I get the "Manage Attachments" window, click on the right buttons (I believe), then nothing happens.
                    Never mind, I'll try your technique a bit later. In the meantime, I post this (using Megan's [img ... [/img] technique :

Comment

Thank you too, Chris. Let's give it a go as you suggest ... one moment please ...
                      OK, I get the "Manage Attachments" window, click on the right buttons (I believe), then nothing happens.
                      No, not attachments. You need to click the button that looks like this:

It is right above the window where you type in the text.

Comment

A little explanation then of the above image. I teach harmony (perhaps "applied harmony" is a more apt term), that is to say, teaching students how to harmonize given melodies from Bach chorales and the Violin 1 part of "classical" string quartets. I normally teach this subject for 2nd-year undergraduates (a mixed class of musicology and conservatory students), and a more advanced harmony-cum-free composition course for would-be secondary school teachers (a Master's level degree).
                        Today (hence the image), I was roped in to mark the new 1st-year evaluation test, this comprising the exam paper given above, a written essay on a musical topic, and an ear test (identifying intervals, rhythm and melody dictation). The evalution test is to help us place the students into three groups (useless; moderately able; good or better).
                        I must admit that I was until today never involved in the evaluation process, and am absolutely appalled by the low level this "test" calls for!
                        In my day (late 19th century, for your information Headmaster), we had (in addition to having the required grades at A level) to have minimum Grade VIII in our first instrument, Grade V in piano; an extensive dictation : 4-part harmony; two-part invention; two 8-bar melodies (one diatonic, one atonal); rhythm. After that there was a harmonization of a Bach chorale and the completion of a two-part invention. There then followed an audition on our chosen first instrument; a piano harmonization exercise at sight, and a score-reading test; an essay on a given musical topic (in my case, the question was : "Are conductors necessary"? "No", I wrote.). After all that, there was then an interview with two of the lecturers who picked us apart (I foolishly said I liked Berio's Laborintus II, and was asked to explain what I admired in this work; I couldn't, but hey, I was young and trying to impress!)
                        Anyway, the upshot of all this is : I would say things have been dumbed down somewhat, and more importantly, I will have these students I marked today next year (autumn 2012). God help me.
                        Last edited by Quijote; 09-06-2011, 07:50 PM. Reason: I forgot elements of my own entrance examination; plus spelling etc.

Comment

The point is, we had to do the tests I mentioned for my own case before we were accepted to read Music at University. Here today in France, there is no pre-selection whatsoever!! Hence, we have about 100 students in the first year who then after the end-of-year exams get whittled down to about half in the second year, who then get whittled down to a more manageable number in the third year. You could argue that it is same final result, but why allow certain students who have absolutely no talent or ear for music to waste a year or two before they get chucked out? I suppose it certainly helps keep the unemployment figures down ...

Comment

Anyway, a bit later I'll have to try Chris's technique for posting images, once I have taken a snapshot of the Strasbourg Cathedral from my balcony!

Comment

By the way, if any of you would like to try the test above, you can send me your answers via PM. 5 points for Q.5, 4 points for Q.4, one point for each of the other questions, total 20 points.

Comment

I sat in on the dictation test for the fun. It was a doddle. Apart from childishly simple intervallic and rhythmic recognition, there were two melodic dictations (using CDs). Go on, try to guess which works were used (this for Agnès and Michael only).
                                Last edited by Quijote; 09-06-2011, 07:35 PM. Reason: Forgotten details

Comment

Working...
                                X