A Breath of fresh air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Breath of fresh air

I have been visiting the Beethoven site now since it began, is it 10 years? and must say that I always fall back on it like an old friend, not only because of my interest in classical music and composers and what I have learned from the discussions and sharing ideas etc. but because of the friendly, civilized way in which it is run, by Chris and Peter, who gladly welcome anyone with great patience at any level of exploring and learning about classical music and Beethoven in particular. I have always found this forum very relaxing and friendly, far from the maddening crowd, away from coarsness, rudness and one upmanship.
    We meet with virtually no back biting as on some forums I have been on, and if anyone does break the rules here, they are quickly leaned upon and sorted out.
    Ok, I am calm by nature, and have been guilty in the past of overstepping the line of courtesy and usually have regretted it straight afterwards.

Last edited by Megan; 08-07-2011, 03:02 PM.
    🎹

This is, indeed, an enjoyable place to visit and share opinions about our interests in music. And Megan, you are certainly one of those who have made this forum relaxing and friendly. Thank you for your contributions!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      This is, indeed, an enjoyable place to visit and share opinions about our interests in music. And Megan, you are certainly one of those who have made this forum relaxing and friendly. Thank you for your contributions!
      Well thank you Sorrano, I have often noted that you are one of the calmest and politest person I have met on a forum and never involve yourself in ructions, it is a pleasure to have you here. I bet your blood pressure disgustingly healthy, unlike mine.
      🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        Well thank you Sorrano, I have often noted that you are one of the calmest and politest person I have met on a forum and never involve yourself in ructions, it is a pleasure to have you here. I bet your blood pressure disgustingly healthy, unlike mine.
        Sometimes it's helpful to choose your battles when there is unpleasantness on the forum. But, sad to say, I've had my fair share in the past. But thanks for the compliment!

Comment

Thank you Megan and Sorrano for your kind words about the forum. I don't bother with other forums myself for lack of time - keeping track of this one is enough! I imagine all forums have their problems and I think one of the main reasons is that this medium so easily lends itself to misunderstandings. Acting as an intermediary when disputes do arise is no easy (or pleasant) task and Chris and I try to balance things fairly though of course you can't please everyone all the time. The forum has now been running for 11 years which I suppose is quite an achievement and for that I thank all our members who have stuck with us over the years!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

The 11 years includes a few hiccups in which it had to be moved to a temporary site, as well. Those kinds of hiccups can kill a forum quickly, but there are good people here who are patient and persistent, which has helped the forum survive those issues.

Comment

Thanks for your kind words. It is difficult to find the right balance in any forum, but it helps a lot when you've got an intelligent and mature group of members. Obviously we haven't been able to please everyone, and we have had our share of technical problems over the years, including outages, onslaughts of spam, and more, and we are grateful to everyone who stuck with it through all that.

It's hard to believe it's been 11 years. I am now in my 30s and I was a teenager when I first set up the forum

Comment

Now don't go bringing age up, young man!

Comment

This truly is a most enjoyable site. Thank you all for making it so interesting.

Agnes.

Comment

Originally posted by Agnes Selby View Post
                    This truly is a most enjoyable site. Thank you all for making it so interesting.

Agnes.
                    Thank you Agnes - possibly one reason is that we don't get so much exposure as other sites and therefore with a smaller number of members we get to know each other better giving the forum a more intimate feel than others? It's good to have been chatting away about music with so many familiar names now for over a decade!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

11 years? Hard to believe!

I fully endorse all the above. A great website packed with intelligent, witty and informative postings (even from other people besides myself!)

Comment

I am on holiday at the moment (in Lago di Garda, Italy, and have only just managed to hack into an unsecured WiFi site*) and am, consequently, unable to join in this frenzy of backslapping self-congratulation. Had I not been on holiday, I would have said that I find this forum to be one of the most irritating platforms ever to engage my intellectual efforts, and shall be leaving it forthwith once I have achieved ... (continues for another 94 pages of meandering vitriol)
                        Last edited by Quijote; 08-15-2011, 09:28 PM. Reason: *Our administrators can confirm this by checking the current IP address

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                          I am on holiday at the moment (in Lago di Garda, Italy, and have only just managed to hack into an unsecured WiFi site*) and am, consequently, unable to join in this frenzy of backslapping self-congratulation. Had I not been on holiday, I would have said that I find this forum to be one of the most irritating platforms ever to engage my intellectual efforts, and shall be leaving it forthwith once I have achieved ... (continues for another 94 pages of meandering vitriol)
                          ...escape velocity? There is a thing called gravity, you know. But I do hope that you are having an enjoyable vacation. And so that amid the backslapping yours does not escape unscathed, you've been a wonderful part of this forum, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                            ...escape velocity? There is a thing called gravity, you know. But I do hope that you are having an enjoyable vacation. And so that amid the backslapping yours does not escape unscathed, you've been a wonderful part of this forum, as well.
                            You are undermining my gravitas, Sorrano!

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                              You are undermining my gravitas, Sorrano!
                              Sorry! At least I will leave your dignitas alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X