Handel vs Bach cont.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaszz:

And please could you upload a favorite movement or two from the Hogwood Op. 6 you recommend, so I don't have to spend $20.00 for it if I may not like it?
    I would have though you would have realised by now that if Rod says 'it's good', IT'S GOOD!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      Interesting and possibly ravishing, but not as deeply emotional or moving as the contralto aria 'Have mercy, Lord on me' from the Matthew passion. Does anyone have the ability to upload this for Rod to hear? Remember it must be on authentic instruments or he'll dismiss it outright!

Well, this is a secular piece Peter, and this standard is maintained throughout, with a depth of expression I have not heard from other such pieces at this time from other men. By ravishing I meant a more romantic (small r!) form of emotion rather than religious devotion. This was written when H was 23, when H was the best composer in all Italy! As I said I've not got to the serious stuff yet Peter, not by a long way.

I'd be interested to know how the Dixit mp3s compare with your own previous experiences of the piece?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited September 27, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        Well, this is a secular piece Peter, and this standard is maintained throughout, with a depth of expression I have not heard from other such pieces at this time from other men. By ravishing I meant a more romantic (small r!) form of emotion rather than religious devotion. This was written when H was 23, when H was the best composer in all Italy! As I said I've not got to the serious stuff yet Peter, not by a long way.

I'd be interested to know how the Dixit mp3s compare with your own previous experiences of the piece?

You'll have to wait till Sunday for that - I have no doubt as to the greatness of the music you are uploading, you do not need to convince me!! It is you who need convincing about Bach!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
          I was just thinking more along the lines of spending something like zero dollars. You gotta save up the money in your computer budget to upgrade your graphics card every other week so you can play the latest games
          Ain't that the truth! Good point.

Comment

You'll have to wait till Sunday for that - I have no doubt as to the greatness of the music you are uploading, you do not need to convince me!! It is you who need convincing about Bach!

The thing is Peter, I've already heard alot of Bach's output. He may have some hits, but I've heard a lot of average sounding stuff. Yet every piece from Handel is full of interesting things.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited September 27, 2002).]

Comment

Interesting and possibly ravishing, but not as deeply emotional or moving as the contralto aria 'Have mercy, Lord on me' from the Matthew passion. Does anyone have the ability to upload this for Rod to hear? Remember it must be on authentic instruments or he'll dismiss it outright!

I don't have this, but have some choruses from the B Minor Mass that I'll try to upload using my Windows 95 machine this weekend IF I get my other chores finished.
              Though I haven't tried it yet, it still seems to me that I'm going to have to give it an address to FTP up to. Where do I get this address? Does my Internet Service Provider or something like Yahoo have to give me space 'up there'?

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Here are the remainder of the stuff I tried to upload earler. Saeviat tellus 1 and 2 have now been removed, but the Dixit1 track is still there:

From Dixit Dominus: Dixit1.mp3

Dixit2.mp3

Also from this period, an aria from the serenate Aci, Galatea e Polifemo in H's typical ravishing style, with a short recitative:
                Acis.mp3

I like the first and last of these three very much. Dixit 2, the second piece, although the sound of the singing and instruments was beautiful, did not seem to me to have much original or involving about it musically -- sort of a commonplace chord progression and melody. I find this sometimes true of Handel, e.g., the Opus 6. Of course it could be my lack of comprehension.

But can one's love for an adored being blind one to his/her sometime imperfections? As the saying goes, even Homer nods sometimes.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Interesting and possibly ravishing, but not as deeply emotional or moving as the contralto aria 'Have mercy, Lord on me' from the Matthew passion.

I agree with you. Spiritual and emotional are only two words to describe this great piece. The Mass in B minor another great work which I have you to thank for reminding me to get this monumental piece out of storage and listen to it again!

Joy

'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I like the first and last of these three very much. Dixit 2, the second piece, although the sound of the singing and instruments was beautiful, did not seem to me to have much original or involving about it musically -- sort of a commonplace chord progression and melody. I find this sometimes true of Handel, e.g., the Opus 6. Of course it could be my lack of comprehension.

But can one's love for an adored being blind one to his/her sometime imperfections? As the saying goes, even Homer nods sometimes.

Well, the piece (Dixit2) has an irresistable drive achieved by the simplest of means, it is this simple driving momentum that is the whole point of the first section. The remainder has plenty of things to hold the interest as far as I am concerned. Perhaps you are not playing it loud enough for these things to become apparent?!

That you question the quality of op6 indicates that indeed Homer will on occasion 'nod'. But he will be continuously asleep if he listens to the Orpheus CO! Much of Handel's best music involves simple two part harmony.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited September 28, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                      I agree with you. Spiritual and emotional are only two words to describe this great piece. The Mass in B minor another great work which I have you to thank for reminding me to get this monumental piece out of storage and listen to it again!

Joy

Finally here are two choruses from the Mass in B Minor, the first two in the Gloria section. I've had some difficulty uploading correctly so I hope it plays properly, my apologies if not. I shall keep trying to improve. It is now 'attached' to Real Player
                      on my computer and plays better than before when it used QuickTime. If it starts for you in QuickTime and runs into trouble, try moving the ball forward past the trouble spot, if this doesn't work my apologies once again.

If using Real it may have to download to your computer first, which should only take a moment if you have a high speed connection. Otherwise, you may not want to wait.

You need to copy the URL and paste it into your Address line, then press enter. If you want to maintain your place on the Beethoven web site while listening, then first click on File at upper left, slide the mouse pointer over New, then slide to the right and click on Window. This will open a duplicate window where you can paste the URL into the Address line, then press Enter, and it will open while you still have your original Beethoven page open in the other window.

Sorry, all this extra bother is the best I can do at present, after a weekend of trial and error. I shall keep at it.

Those who find JS Bach lacking in emotion will I hope find something of value here:
                      http://users.bestweb.net/~chaszz/Bac...erra%20pax.mp3

Comment

{
                        Sorry, all this extra bother is the best I can do at present, after a weekend of trial and error. I shall keep at it.

[/B]
                        It came up with a properly underlined URL. All that extra copying not necessary.

Comment

Bump to account for time bug.

Comment

Later, after more trial and error: here is an easy way to play and listen to the excerpts from the B Minor Mass:

1. Copy this URL by highlighting it with your mouse, then click the right mouse button and click on Copy:
                            http://users.bestweb.net/~chaszz/Gloria4.mp3

2. Open Quicktime Player or Real Player on your system. Open the File menu. In Quicktime, click on Open URL. In Real, click on Open.

3. Using the mouse, put the cursor on the address space, click the right button, and click Paste. The URL will be placed in the space. Press the PLAY arrow.
                            Thanks Chaszzz. I will definitely give this a listen!

Joy
                            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Here are two of Handel's arias from the 'Handel 9 German Arias' CD on Capriccio label, these are really excellent:

Aria1.mp3

Aria2.mp3

I've only had time to listen to about 1 minute of the Bach Gloria, will report when I've had a good listen.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited October 02, 2002).]

Comment

Here are two of Handel's arias from the 'Handel 9 German Arias' CD on Capriccio label, these are really excellent:

Aria1.mp3

Aria2.mp3

I've only had time to listen to about 1 minute of the Bach Gloria, will report when I've had a good listen.

I shall refrain from listening to any more Handel until some Bach gets listened to.

Comment

Working...
                                X