Handel vs Bach cont.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaszz:
    (I hit enter just above without having written anything).

Rod, I like the Handel works you uploaded.

I heard a performance of Handel's Opus 6 Concerto Grosso No. 11 last night by the Orpehus Chamber Orchestra. Do they qualify as good interpreters? It seemed a lively and skilled performance. I must admit it didn't move me. It seemed harmonically uninspired, relying on melodies based on a relatively few predictable chords and modulations. The last movement seemed overly long and didn't seem to develop. I would prefer most any of Bach's concertos, grosso or solo, to this, except for two or three.

But as I said before, I've been hearing these Opus 6 concerti all my life without much reaction. Perhaps it is me and not the music as I know they are honored greatly by others.

I have some movements from the Mass in B Minor to upload. My new computer is not hooked up to the net yet but I'll try with my old computer. I think I know how to "rip" the music from CD to MP3 on my hard disk. Then what do I do with the MP3? Do I need to ask my internet service provider for space and help? Or is there another way to do it? Thanks.
    I do not at all rate the Orpheus CO Chaszz. For a start they are a modern instrument ensemble, which is a handicap before they even play a note, and from what I've head they are lack lustre performers. Get the version on Decca by the Handel and Haydn Society/ Hogwood - this is a superb set and good value. It is the simplicity of much of the music that makes it so profound....in the right hands!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      I do not at all rate the Orpheus CO Chaszz. For a start they are a modern instrument ensemble, which is a handicap before they even play a note, and from what I've head they are lack lustre performers. Get the version on Decca by the Handel and Haydn Society/ Hogwood - this is a superb set and good value. It is the simplicity of much of the music that makes it so profound....in the right hands!

Fine. Can you give me any advice on uploading something to here?

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Fine. Can you give me any advice on uploading something to here?

Presuming you use at least Windows 98, there should be an upload wizzard in the internet utilities section of the toolbar menus. I hope you've got some good tracks, because I've deliberately started off lightly, with '1st period' Handel. I haven't got serious yet!

------------------

Comment

Presuming you use at least Windows 98, there should be an upload wizzard in the internet utilities section of the toolbar menus. I hope you've got some good tracks, because I've deliberately started off lightly, with '1st period' Handel. I haven't got serious yet!

My old machine has Windows 95 so that's no good. For my new machine I have to buy a router so I can share my wife's highspeed DSL connection, so that's at least a week or two off. In the event, what will I tell the Wizard for a website to load to, the URL that is on my address line when I'm on this page?

And please could you upload a favorite movement or two from the Hogwood Op. 6 you recommend, so I don't have to spend $20.00 for it if I may not like it?

And please answer the question on the address to upload to, while I have your attention on that.
          See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

My old machine has Windows 95 so that's no good. For my new machine I have to buy a router so I can share my wife's highspeed DSL connection, so that's at least a week or two off.
            Forget all that upload wizard nonsense - you can use Internet Explorer or a program called ftp, which is on all Windows 95 machines.

Also, why would you buy a router for Internet connection sharing? That's a ridiculously expensive way to get the job done.

Comment

Rod, the AAM performance I referred to was the Messiah recording from 1980. It's a little uneven re soloists' additions; David Thomas adds the least, while Paul Elliott and Emma Kirkby add some fine improvisations. (Though maybe my ears are prejudiced, for I don't much like Mr. Thomas's excessive vibrato and am captivated by Mr. Elliott's and Miss Kirkby's silvery, vibrato-less voices.)

But you're right that we don't need Romantic hysteria. In fact, the AAM recording shows just how moving Handel can be in his original instrumentation. (I did say it was magnificent! )

Comment

Originally posted by John Rasmussen:
                Rod, the AAM performance I referred to was the Messiah recording from 1980. It's a little uneven re soloists' additions; David Thomas adds the least, while Paul Elliott and Emma Kirkby add some fine improvisations. (Though maybe my ears are prejudiced, for I don't much like Mr. Thomas's excessive vibrato and am captivated by Mr. Elliott's and Miss Kirkby's silvery, vibrato-less voices.)

But you're right that we don't need Romantic hysteria. In fact, the AAM recording shows just how moving Handel can be in his original instrumentation. (I did say it was magnificent! )
                I haven't heard this version, but the likes of Hogwood and Kirkby are always pretty reliable with Handel. The best version I have is by the English Concert and Choir with Pinnock on Archiv label. Good rhythms and sumptuous sound. Singing is good to tollerable. I'm not a fan of von Otter but she is reasonably restrained here.

It occured to me that it would be logical to present some of Handel's German language music, from his '9 German Arias' and Brocke's Passion. I don't know why I didn't think of this before.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                  Forget all that upload wizard nonsense - you can use Internet Explorer or a program called ftp, which is on all Windows 95 machines.

Also, why would you buy a router for Internet connection sharing? That's a ridiculously expensive way to get the job done.
                  This is what the phone co. which hosts the DSL line told me to do. The router was $135.

I'll try the ftp program at some point soon.

Comment

Forget all that upload wizard nonsense
                    It's not nonsense Chris, I've used it myself without trouble.

------------------

Comment

For $50 US dollars you can get a decent router that will not only enable one to share the Internet connection but will also serve as a good firewall. A 4-port D-Link router would serve very nicely and they are relatively inexpensive. That way you don't have to keep one computer on all the time just to be able to access it from another.

Comment

This is by and large my own impression of Bach. I am continually surprised when I read the term 'sprtitual' connected with Bach and that this spirituality is not found in Handel, whereas from hearing I would say if anything ther reverse is the case. The extreme 'intellectuallity' in Bach often makes the music sound somewhat dry and emotionally detached to my ears. Yet I have friends who are mezmerised by it, but think or know little of Handel. Strange indeed.

You will find me strange, as well. I have much less interest in Bach's choral/vocal works (mostly the vocal works) than I do in his keyboard (including and especially organ) works. Last night I listened to a couple of inventions and sinfonies on the radio and was very satisfied by these academic/intellectual works. I got more out of them than I do the sacred vocal works. With Handel I have few complaints and I agree whole-heartedly that the majority of his works that I've listened to are much less boring on the whole than what I've listened to of Bach (minus the fugues and organ works--these are the pinnacle of the Baroque period for me).

Comment

Here are the remainder of the stuff I tried to upload earler. Saeviat tellus 1 and 2 have now been removed, but the Dixit1 track is still there:

From Dixit Dominus: Dixit1.mp3

Dixit2.mp3

Also from this period, an aria from the serenate Aci, Galatea e Polifemo in H's typical ravishing style, with a short recitative:
                          Acis.mp3

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited September 26, 2002).]

Comment

It's not nonsense Chris, I've used it myself without trouble.
                            I expect you have, but it's just not necessary, and so there was no reason for him to wait until he had access to a machine with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                              For $50 US dollars you can get a decent router that will not only enable one to share the Internet connection but will also serve as a good firewall. A 4-port D-Link router would serve very nicely and they are relatively inexpensive. That way you don't have to keep one computer on all the time just to be able to access it from another.
                              I was just thinking more along the lines of spending something like zero dollars. You gotta save up the money in your computer budget to upgrade your graphics card every other week so you can play the latest games

Comment

Also from this period, an aria from the serenate Aci, Galatea e Polifemo in H's typical ravishing style, with a short recitative:
                                [/URL]

Interesting and possibly ravishing, but not as deeply emotional or moving as the contralto aria 'Have mercy, Lord on me' from the Matthew passion. Does anyone have the ability to upload this for Rod to hear? Remember it must be on authentic instruments or he'll dismiss it outright!

------------------
                                'Man know thyself'
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X