Beethoven's Conversation Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quijote View Post

There's no doubt Sorrano that you'd love Vienna!!
    Didn't Beethoven make a comment about giving a German his sausage and wine and nothing else would matter?

Comment

Isn't it sausages and beer that Viennese love?

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
        I live in Heiligenstadt which is in Vienna's 19th district. This district is called Dobling and it is one of Vienna's famous wine growing areas. There have been vineyards in this area since Roman times when they brought with them the knowledge of growing the grapes and also how to make wine to the locals in this area.
        Last edited by Hollywood; 01-29-2022, 05:09 AM.
        "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

I think you are correct, Enrique, in that the statement as I recall it was with beer not wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post

I live in Heiligenstadt which is in Vienna's 19th district. This district is called Dobling and it is one of Vienna's famous wine growing areas. There have been vineyards in this area since Roman times when they brought with them the knowledge of growing the grapes and also how to make wine to the locals in this area.
            I imagine that is is beautiful and lush, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post

I think you are correct, Enrique, in that the statement as I recall it was with beer not wine.
              Thanks Sorrano.

Comment

What I find interesting here in Vienna is that the many times my late husband and I went to a Heuriger (german for "wine tavern") the majority of men would drink beer while the majority of women, including myself, drink wine. I always hated beer but I do like a good white wine.
                "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

I'm still ploughing my way through Volume 2, which covers conversation books 9-16 (March 1820 to September 1820). I thought I'd give you an update regarding things of interest other than sausage casings...

Well, one thing of interest has cropped up that seems to settle the question as to whether or not Beethoven ever met Mozart.

On page 73 of this volume, Beethoven is visiting medal designer and sculptor Joseph Daniel Bohm's studio in the company of Johann Schickh, publisher of the Wiener Zeitschrift. From the context, Bohm is showing Beethoven a portrait or a bust of Mozart and Schickh asks: "Do you still remember Mozart? And is it like him?"

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                    I'm still ploughing my way through Volume 2, which covers conversation books 9-16 (March 1820 to September 1820). I thought I'd give you an update regarding things of interest other than sausage casings...

Well, one thing of interest has cropped up that seems to settle the question as to whether or not Beethoven ever met Mozart.

On page 73 of this volume, Beethoven is visiting medal designer and sculptor Joseph Daniel Bohm's studio in the company of Johann Schickh, publisher of the Wiener Zeitschrift. From the context, Bohm is showing Beethoven a portrait or a bust of Mozart and Schickh asks: "Do you still remember Mozart? And is it like him?"
                    Your quote could simply be a reference to hearing Mozart play (as Czerny relates), but I've always thought it highly probable that he met Mozart on that initial visit in 1787.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post

Your quote could simply be a reference to hearing Mozart play (as Czerny relates), but I've always thought it highly probable that he met Mozart on that initial visit in 1787.
                      Mozart, at that time, being the most celebrated composer of the day, it's more likely there would be a more tangible reference rather than a cryptic one if these two ever met. I don't remember reading that this occurred in any of the Beethoven bios I've read - but it's possible my own memory is faulty in this regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Schenkerian View Post

Mozart, at that time, being the most celebrated composer of the day, it's more likely there would be a more tangible reference rather than a cryptic one if these two ever met. I don't remember reading that this occurred in any of the Beethoven bios I've read - but it's possible my own memory is faulty in this regard.
                        But that was the purpose of Beethoven's visit, he wasn't on a sight seeing trip. Three weeks in the city and no attempt to meet is I think unlikely. I also would have thought Haydn was the more celebrated composer of the day?
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

But that was the purpose of Beethoven's visit, he wasn't on a sight seeing trip. Three weeks in the city and no attempt to meet is I think unlikely. I also would have thought Haydn was the more celebrated composer of the day?
                          Well, perhaps, but remember he'd languished in Eisenstadt for nearly 30 years. I thought Haydn's invite to Beethoven to Vienna wasn't necessarily to meet Mozart. But such an important meeting between these two composers would surely warrant more than cryptic references. I don't remember reading about this in the Mozart letters either.

Comment

Well, perhaps, but remember he'd languished in Eisenstadt for nearly 30 years. I thought Haydn's invite to Beethoven to Vienna wasn't necessarily to meet Mozart. But such an important meeting between these two composers would surely warrant more than cryptic references. I don't remember reading about this in the Mozart letters either.
                            It was not at Haydn's invitation that Beethoven came to Vienna, rather it was the influence of nobles such as Count Waldstein.
                            Contemporary accounts from Seyfried, Czerny and biographer Otto Jahn say they met. Maynard Solomon suggests Mozart may have rejected Beethoven as a pupil due to his own circumstances - there was no reason for Mozart to mention Beethoven.
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

It was not at Haydn's invitation that Beethoven came to Vienna, rather it was the influence of nobles such as Count Waldstein.
                              Contemporary accounts from Seyfried, Czerny and biographer Otto Jahn say they met. Maynard Solomon suggests Mozart may have rejected Beethoven as a pupil due to his own circumstances - there was no reason for Mozart to mention Beethoven.
                              My understanding was that Beethoven met Haydn when the latter was travelling to or from London and came to Bonn, where he recommended Beethoven come to Vienna after hearing some of his work. If Beethoven and Mozart did meet maybe its become apocryphal like the Liszt and Beethoven 'meeting'. Playing the piano for deaf man was always going to be a questionable exercise, after all.
                              Last edited by Schenkerian; 03-28-2022, 09:18 AM.

Comment

My understanding was that Beethoven met Haydn when the latter was travelling to or from London and came to Bonn, where he recommended Beethoven come to Vienna after hearing some of his work. If Beethoven and Mozart did meet maybe its become apocryphal like the Liszt and Beethoven 'meeting'. Playing the piano for deaf man was always going to be a questionable exercise, after all.
                                That was for Beethoven's 2nd trip to Vienna.
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X