Beethoven's Conversation Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's Conversation Books

This thread is dedicated to its author, Fidelio, who has passed away. May he rest in peace. We are grateful for all the years of wonderful conversation he brought to our forum.

New publication of Beethoven's Conversation Books, Volume 1: Nos. 1 to 8 (February 1818 to March 1820) is out now.

Here's the promotional info:
    These important booklets are here translated into English in their entirety for the first time. The volumes in this series include an updated editorial apparatus, with revised and expanded notes and many new footnotes exclusive to this edition, and brand new introductions, which together place many of the quickly changing conversational topics into context. Due to the editor's many years of research in Vienna, his acquaintance with its history and topography, as well as his familiarity with obscure documentary resources, this edition represents an entirely new venture in source studies - vitally informative for scholars not only in music but also in a wide variety of disciplines. At the same time, these often lively and compelling conversations are now finally accessible for the English-speaking music lover or history buff who might want to dip into them and hear what Beethoven and his friends were discussing at the next table.
    Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Thanks for that Fidelio - I've ordered a copy (a bit pricey, but it is Beethoven!).
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I received mine yesterday. Also pre-ordered the next 2 volumes. As you say Peter, it is Beethoven!

I keep a little savings account for these things, especially with 2020 coming up. I'm sure there will be lots of other treats and box sets.
      Fidelio

Comment

Oh yes, I'll be getting myself a copy!
        In the meantime, here's an interesting article by Theodore Albrecht that seeks to paint Schindler's role in the conversation books in a slightly more favourble light.
        Attached Files

Comment

I have the book now, interesting that in 1819 a concert was proposed of Beethoven's works with Beethoven himself playing the 'Hammerklavier' sonata - we don't have Beethoven's response and of course this never happened, but even for it to be proposed makes you wonder just what Beethoven's piano playing was really like at this stage?
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Interesting considering the reviews from the first performance of the Archduke Piano Trio, Op. 97.

The first public performance was given by Beethoven himself, Ignaz Schuppanzigh (violin) and Josef Linke (cello) at the Viennese hotel Zum römischen Kaiser on 11 April 1814, as his deafness continued to encroach upon his ability as a performer. After a repeat of the work a few weeks later, Beethoven did not appear again in public as a pianist.

The violinist and composer Louis Spohr witnessed a rehearsal of the work, and wrote: "On account of his deafness there was scarcely anything left of the virtuosity of the artist which had formerly been so greatly admired. In forte passages the poor deaf man pounded on the keys until the strings jangled, and in piano he played so softly that whole groups of notes were omitted, so that the music was unintelligible unless one could look into the pianoforte part. I was deeply saddened at so hard a fate."

How indeed would the 'Hammerklavier' have sounded.
            Fidelio

Comment

Volume 2: Nos. 9 to 16 (March 1820 to September 1820) is now available.
              Fidelio

Comment

Hello Everyone. It has been a few years since I contributed to a thread. I am happy to be back.

I recently found out that the volumes of the English translation of the conversation books were finally being published. This thread seems to be the only one about this recent edition. A few of you have received the book(s) last year but no one commented on how interesting it is in terms of the musical insights it provides. The only excerpt I have been able to find on the publisher's site is about Karl and Ludwig discussing sausage casings... I am thinking of buying the books but I would like to have a better feeling on how interesting it really is for a non-LVB scholar. Thank you!

Comment

Hi Paul

Welcome back.

I am still awaiting the arrival of the third volume, this volume has been delayed. I believe this third volume, shows some in sights into Beethoven deafness and concludes that he could hear more than originally thought.

I must admit to be way behind in reading and working from home now and not in the office is not helping, especially as I am working right next to my growing collection of Beethoven books.

I would recommend them as they provide another aspect of the composer's life.
                  Fidelio

Comment

Thank you Fidelio. I will most likely acquire at least one volume (the third one sounds really interesting). I guess the delay is related to the pandemic. Everything is pandemic related these days...

If Beethoven could hear better than originally thought, that could change a lot in our perceptions of him. Perhaps he had good days and bad days.

Comment

Volume 3 (May 1822 to May 1823) arrived today.
                      Fidelio

Comment

Thanks Fidelio! Looking forward to hear what you think of that volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                          Oh yes, I'll be getting myself a copy!
                          In the meantime, here's an interesting article by Theodore Albrecht that seeks to paint Schindler's role in the conversation books in a slightly more favourble light.
                          Well, 3 years after I posted the above I finally bought Volumes 1 & 3. Volume 2 is presently too expensive post-Brexit. Volume IV should be out in October, I believe.

I'm very happy to have these two volumes though I can hardly call it a "fluid read" due to the numerous and dense footnotes on practically every page.
                          Nobody has anything to say about the Albrecht article I posted above regarding Schindler's "decriminalization"?
                          Last edited by Quijote; 08-20-2021, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Apart from Fidelio, PaulD, Peter and yours truly, have none of you other Beethoven fanboys/girls bought any of these volumes?
                            Anyway, you know what worries me? The editor/translator (Theodore Albrecht) is no spring chicken and he has another 7 volumes to go.
                            Get my drift?

Comment

Still, what a wonderful translation and editing job he has done so far; top hole, hats off and other superlatives...
                              Last edited by Quijote; 08-21-2021, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X