'Man know thyself'

Comment

Piazzolla " Four Seasons of Buenos Aries"

Comment

Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileira n.5 - Anna Moffo

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anxdAcilnsM[/YOUTUBE]
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Having just listened to the ancient recorded performance of the Romance Op.50 linked in another thread, I decided to continue on with early Beethoven recordings and am now in the midst of hearing a 1923 recording of the Ninth Symphony. I'm only a bit into the second movement and quite like the interpretation thus far. Of special interest to me is that it adheres to the old practice of substituting tubas for string basses, early recording techniques not being well suited to the latter. The recording is clear enough to make this very obvious. What's more the tubas do a commendable job, even adding a bit of welcome clarity to their line. It's gonna be super interesting to hear how the opening to the final movement comes across.

ADDENDUM:
          Interestingly, tubas are NOT utilized for the finale's opening, a bridge too far even in that circumstance I suppose. I missed the "weight" they would have added to the low end. They (the tubas) reappear later in the movement, though not with the heft and clarity they display in earlier movements. As a recording, I find the final movement as a whole the weakest of the four, likely because the primitive recording equipment of the day simply couldn't do it justice. Still it makes fascinating listening.
          Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 08-17-2016, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Beethoven symphony 5. Monteux.
            "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
            --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Louise Farrenc - Symphony No. 3 (1847)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZeYHeXnNdo
              "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
              --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Kodaly:Hary Janos Suite

Comment

I don't listen to orchestral works much nowadays due to deteriorated hearing. Every now and again I can't resist to urge to plunge back into the fray. These lapses from sanity end in failure more often than not, but can occasionally provide great pleasure. Such is the case with a performance of the Leonore Overture No.3, excerpted from an early 1984 MET live-broadcast, with Klaus Tennstedt conducting the orchestra. I've long been an admirer of Tennstedt at his best, but admit being unfamiliar with his Beethoven. My retched ears tell me that this is about as impassioned an interpretation as one could hope for. I've listened to it a good many times this past week.

Comment

Beethoven String Quartets Op. 18
                    Amadeus Quartet
                    Zevy

Comment

Beethoven - Symphony No. 8
                      VPO/Berstein (In honor of his birthday!)

Comment

Arensky - Piano quintet in D major, Op. 51

This is a very nice piece of Romantic chamber music that I don't remember hearing before.

Comment

Mozart's "Jupiter" Symphony. Perfection.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            Mozart's "Jupiter" Symphony. Perfection.
                            It's on tonight at the Proms and BBC4 7.30 played from memory.
                            http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07pqw01
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven Middle String Quartets
                              Amadeus Quartet
                              Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                                It's on tonight at the Proms and BBC4 7.30 played from memory.
                                http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07pqw01
                                Damn! Didn't see your message until today. Thanks anyway!

Comment

Working...
                                X