What is Beethoven's weakest opus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PaulD View Post
    Interesting how Wellington's victory has been bounced back and forth through this thread. Just to add my bit, I have a piano version played by Steven Beck Hess 97. So Beethoven tried to extend the success of the piece with a transcription for piano of his own (or perhaps popular demand justified it). The piano used on the CD has a Turkish drum attached to it so once in a while the pianist pushes a pedal and bang! comes the drum. I will comment no more....
    I have this disc too. It's a very interesting peak into the past - a popular work of the day, played on an instrument of the day.

Comment

Maybe we should enlist Beethoven's help in deciding which works were "weak".

One of my absolute favourites is the "32 Variations in C minor", to which the composer didn't deign to give an opus number.
      The story goes that, many years after its composition, he heard somebody playing it and he asked who wrote it. When he was informed that it was himself, he shouted: "Beethoven - what an ass you were!"
      I am still trying to figure out what he found wrong with this work but who am I to challenge Beethoven?

Another huge success during his lifetime was the beautiful melodic Septet for four strings and wind which was so popular that he arranged it for piano trio. He absolutely hated it afterwards and said that it was composed for "the rabble".
      That's you and me, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorale View Post
        Well, if I have to choose it would be his early quartets. I don't know why, but I hate that sound of almost mozartian music. I don't know what's your opinion on this quarters, but I don't like them at all...
        I love all of Mozart's quartets (besides the first, K. 80). Although the op. 18 quartets are often referred to as "Mozartian", it took me along time before I got used to them. They are closer in form to Mozart's works than the middle or late quartets, but they certainly are not Mozart.
        I dislike the clichéd comparatives such as "The 1st or 2nd symphonies could have been written by Mozart", etc. Mozart was not Beethoven, and Beethoven was not Mozart.
        Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          My favourite of these works is Op.18/1 - I admit the others in the set don't greatly appeal, but they are still fine compositions.
          Here is a fine example of Beethoven's clever mind. Although Op. 18/1 was composed after 18/2 and 18/3, he published it at the head of the set. It gives a great boost to the group. It's hard for me to imagine op. 18 in a different order...
          Zevy

Comment

In this thread I counted "Der glorreiche Augenblick" op. 136 among the weak pieces from Beethoven as everybody seems to do it. Now I listened to the work again and I must admit: I loved the music !! I never had given the piece a real chance.

Just listen to the finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndElO-UccIE

and here the the whole work (sung in Italian, in unfortuneately only a historic recording): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJqdAo1R9P0

It has just wonderful parts! I think the work just suffers from the ridiculous lyrics ...

Comment

Thanks for sharing that; I enjoyed it, too.

How about the early cantatas? They certainly don't match up well to the masses.

Originally posted by gprengel View Post
              In this thread I counted "Der glorreiche Augenblick" op. 136 among the weak pieces from Beethoven as everybody seems to do it. Now I listened to the work again and I must admit: I loved the music !! I never had given the piece a real chance.

Just listen to the finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndElO-UccIE

and here the the whole work (sung in Italian, in unfortuneately only a historic recording): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJqdAo1R9P0

It has just wonderful parts! I think the work just suffers from the ridiculous lyrics ...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                Out of the well known works I'd say 'Fur Elise' - I simply can't endure the piece!
                My feelings exactly!
                "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Perhaps Beethoven took some of his compositions more seriously than others. But what I find about his body of work is, what I find in any artist, a reflection of his life.
                  One can't be objective. There are times in my life I love 'Fur Elise' and a time when I couldn't listen to it. But I happen to enjoy it as much as any piece of Beethovens' at this time.

Comment

I think Beethoven found Opera a bit taxing. His one and only opera is Fidelio. I'm no sure if he attempted any other works for Opera.
                    🎹

Comment

About ten minutes in full score of an pre-Fidelio opera, "Vestas Feuer", still survives. He used some of its material in the later work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGZGSsk5K7c

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        About ten minutes in full score of an pre-Fidelio opera, "Vestas Feuer", still survives. He used some of its material in the later work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGZGSsk5K7c
                        I've always enjoyed this fragment, and I wish Beethoven had completed a second opera. But at least we have the magnificent Fidelio!

Comment

Working...
                        X