Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prompted by the thread "Beethoven's Weakest Work", I've been listening to his 1815 work "The Glorious Moment". Awful libretto but touches of the master here and there. Anyway, second-rate Beethoven is superior to most.

Comment

Mozart: Clarinet Concerto, Robert Marcellus/Szell/Cleveland Orchestra
      Mozart: Flute Concertos, Eugenia Zukerman/Pinchas Zukerman/English Chamber Orchestra
      Zevy

Comment

While going through my Beethoven collection I noticed an unopened CD of the Missa Solemnis, John Eliot Gardiner, Monteverdi Choir, recorded live at the Barbican Hall. Had it in the car on the way to work……….marvellous! Going to a performance in Nottingham this Saturday.
        Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Originally posted by Fidelio View Post
          While going through my Beethoven collection I noticed an unopened CD of the Missa Solemnis, John Eliot Gardiner, Monteverdi Choir, recorded live at the Barbican Hall. Had it in the car on the way to work……….marvellous! Going to a performance in Nottingham this Saturday.

You had this unopened?! I have this CD also. Let us know how the performance goes on Saturday. I made a thread for Beethoven concerts we go to/have been to..
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

That recording was voted best disc of the year by "The Gramophone" many years ago, for what it's worth. Interestingly, it was the first time the "Missa Solemnis" was able to fit on a single CD.
            A very good version, but I still prefer Klemperer or Bernstein.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              That recording was voted best disc of the year by "The Gramophone" many years ago, for what it's worth. Interestingly, it was the first time the "Missa Solemnis" was able to fit on a single CD.
              Agreed. It's a good recording, but Klemperer is my favorite as well. Of course, one is period instruments and the other modern instruments, so there's room for both in any collection!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                The 1991 Gardiner recording of the Missa Solemnis on Deutsche Grammophon was indeed Gramophone record of the year.

This later recording (recorded live at the Barbican in 2012) that I had clearly forgotten about (as it was still in its wrapping) is a superb version and in my view, a better one, as Gardiner really brings it too life. This recording was a Finalist (Choral) in the Gramophone Awards 2014.
                Fidelio

Comment

The 1991 Gardiner recording of the Missa Solemnis on Deutsche Grammophon was indeed Gramophone record of the year.

This later recording (recorded live at the Barbican in 2012) that I had clearly forgotten about (as it was still in its wrapping) is a superb version and in my view, a better one, as Gardiner really brings it too life. This recording was a Finalist (Choral) in the Gramophone Awards 2014.
                  Sorry - I didn't read your post properly, Fidelio and overlooked the fact that you were referring to a newer, live recording which I haven't heard.

Comment

Never a problem. If you get the chance, I would highly recommend this recording. Gardiner is a maestro for Choral works. I was lucky enough to attend Prom 54 in 2014 (Missa Solemnis/Gardiner)
                    Fidelio

Comment

I do not have the Gardiner Missa Solemnis. I have Hanover Band, Harnoncourt, Giulini, Karajan, Rilling, and Ormandy. Ormandy is my favorite of those six.
                      "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                      --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

My favorite is the Bernstein recording (with the New York Phil). First hearings often leave an indelible impression.

Comment

Never a problem. If you get the chance, I would highly recommend this recording. Gardiner is a maestro for Choral works. I was lucky enough to attend Prom 54 in 2014 (Missa Solemnis/Gardiner)
                          I was there too. The ONLY time I've been to the proms where the audience, appropriately, refrained from applausing immediately at the end. It's a bugbear of mine that there's almost always that one know-it-all that starts to clap a beat or two before the last note has finished, so that they can proclaim to everyone else "hey look at me, I know this piece! Aren't I cultured?". Remarkably we all decided to stay silent after that closing chord, which was a great feeling. I've said it before but Gardiner's Missa Solemnis is my favourite; I just love the energy he brings to the piece (without sacrificing clarity), especially to the fugues at the end of the Gloria and Credo.

Comment

I've been listening to Messiah, performed by the London Symphony Orchestra and Chorus with Colin Davis leading, which is my favorite of all the recordings I've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                              I've been listening to Messiah, performed by the London Symphony Orchestra and Chorus with Colin Davis leading, which is my favorite of all the recordings I've heard.
                              This is my favorite recording too (on modern instruments - on period instruments I favor Gardiner's). I first heard an excerpt of this recording in a music appreciation class, and I liked it so much I bought the complete recording.

Comment

Been listening to Donizetti's Maria Stuarda all Saturday, Sunday and much of today. It is my latest obsession and I have mounted up a collection of eight CD sets and five DVDs. Also am reading a real history of Mary Stuart and it is fascinating!
                                "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                                --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Working...
                                X