Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just listened to the 1812 Overture that came on the disc with Wellington's Victory. It is different than the 1812 I am used to. This one has singing on it and it is FANTASTIC! I really like it. It is 10 times better than the other one.
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post

As for Wellington's Victory, it's kitsch in my opinion. I wouldn't necessarily call it bad, but Beethoven must have known that it wasn't very good. Just juxtaposing the 7th with it, as was the case at the premiere, and the level of compositional sophistication between the two pieces is a world apart.
      Ironically, Wellington's Victory was possibly Beethoven's greatest success with the public - financially anyway.
      Have you heard this intriguing version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xc4Lyh0D2Y

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
        Gardiner's Eroica is very good--at least I liked it quite a lot as I was first dipping into the symphonies back in January. But when I bought a cycle I went for Gunter Wand. I surely did not evaluate a lot of cycles, but the Wand cycle appealed to me for some reason. Picked up the Bell 4&7 on a whim and I like it. Seems to be well rated at Amazon too.
        You're right Harvey - listened to Gardiner's Eroica today and I really like it.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

What a delightful treasure to have just discovered. For anyone else who is interested.
          Yes, he made our anthem far more interesting! Ah, you have linked my fave you tube channel- El musico de Bonn!

As for Wellington's Victory, it's kitsch in my opinion. I wouldn't necessarily call it bad, but Beethoven must have known that it wasn't very good. Just juxtaposing the 7th with it, as was the case at the premiere, and the level of compositional sophistication between the two pieces is a world apart.
          Well it would be hard to compare the 7th to it as they are two very different pieces of music for two different purposes. Wellington's Victory was a commission and was performed at a benefit concert.

After the Battle of Vitoria, Beethoven’s friend Johann Nepomuk Maelzel talked him into writing a composition commemorating this ba*tle that he could notate on his 'mechanical orche*tra', the panharmonicon, a contraption that was able to play many of the military band instruments of the day. However, Beethoven wrote a composition for large band, so large that Maelzel could not build a machine large enough to perform the music. As an alternative, Beethoven rewrote the Siegessinfonie for orchestra, added a first part and renamed the work Wellington’s Victory.

The piece was first performed in Vienna on 8 December 1813 at a concert to benefit Austrian and Bavarian soldiers wounded at the Battle of Hanau, with Beethoven conducting. It was an immediate crowd-pleaser and met with much enthusiasm from early concertgoers. Also on the programme were the premiere of his Symphony No. 7 and a work performed by Maelzel's mechanical trumpeter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington%27s_Victory
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Ironically, Wellington's Victory was possibly Beethoven's greatest success with the public - financially anyway.
            Surely he earned more from the Ninth?

Have you heard this intriguing version?
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xc4Lyh0D2Y
            Sounds like something they could use in a film!
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post

Sounds like something they could use in a film!
              I was thinking the same thing. It certainly isn't lacking in drama.

Regarding Gardiner's set, I also really like his third; it's the perfect tempo in my opinion. His fifth is also probably my favourite fifth, which begs the question: scherzo-trio repeat in the third movement - yay or nay?

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                Surely he earned more from the Ninth?
                No, the first performance of the 9th was a financial disaster - from the success of the Battle of Vittoria he was able to purchase 8 bank shares, one of which he was forced to sell later.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven complete overtures - Zinman/ Tonhalle orchestra
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    You're right Harvey - listened to Gardiner's Eroica today and I really like it.
                    Gardiner's "Eroica" was used in its entirety in the film "Eroica" which was broadcast a few years back. I don't know if it should be described as a "film" or "movie", but it is certainly one of the most daring productions ever shown. It's a recreation of the first performance (or more accurately, the first rehearsal) of the symphony in the palace of Prince Lobkowitz.

There are one or two quite dramatic moments but it is essentially a complete performance of the third symphony. In fact, on the DVD, there is the option of watching the whole symphony without dialogue.

I am almost sure that Gardiner and his orchestra re-recorded the work for this programme and it remains, for me at least, a fascinating production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFA_tT8_v-Q

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      No, the first performance of the 9th was a financial disaster - from the success of the Battle of Vittoria he was able to purchase 8 bank shares, one of which he was forced to sell later.

Crazy! Such an immense work should have brought him a good income!
                      Ludwig van Beethoven
                      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
                        I was thinking the same thing. It certainly isn't lacking in drama.

Regarding Gardiner's set, I also really like his third; it's the perfect tempo in my opinion. His fifth is also probably my favourite fifth, which begs the question: scherzo-trio repeat in the third movement - yay or nay?
                        I confess to not knowing the difference!
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Well I sold my Gardiner third to Rocco a couple months ago after buying a Zinman eroica and 4th CD. I figured one fast tempo Eroica would suffice. I am goin to play the Zinman 3rd and 4th next in my car.
                          "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

Well i got through the first movement of the third with Zinman and was at the store and bought Johnny Cash at San Quentin, special edition of the entire concert, so that is being played now and I'll come back to Zinman. But that is in the car. My earphone is playing Ormandy's Missa Solemnis while I await my Karajan Missa Solemnis with Gundula Janowitz that I recently ordered.

Comment

Last night - Brahms German Requiem. Simply an amazing work!
                              For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                                Last night - Brahms German Requiem. Simply an amazing work!
                                Yes Rocco it is a very powerful and beautiful piece - I remember driving home from London many years ago at 2.00am with hardly anything on the road except Brahms requiem playing in my car - certainly kept me awake!
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X