This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    Yes Rocco it is a very powerful and beautiful piece - I remember driving home from London many years ago at 2.00am with hardly anything on the road except Brahms requiem playing in my car - certainly kept me awake!
    Ever since I went and saw it live at Hill Auditoriam in Ann Arbor Michigan in early April I have loved it more and more. I could never get tired of listening to that work! Do you have any copies of Brahms Requiem Peter? I have the one conducted by Robert Shaw & the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus. A very good recording!
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
      Ever since I went and saw it live at Hill Auditoriam in Ann Arbor Michigan in early April I have loved it more and more. I could never get tired of listening to that work! Do you have any copies of Brahms Requiem Peter? I have the one conducted by Robert Shaw & the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus. A very good recording!
      Yes, but I don't know why I have a cd with Roger Norrington and London Classical players - he's not my favourite conductor. I ought to get another version - I did have it on cassette tape back in the 80s and that was a far better recording, but I've lost that and can't recall who it was.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have the Brahms German Requiem Karajan with Gundula Janowitz and the Berliner Philharmoniker and one by the Academic Choir and Orchestra in Copenhagen, conducted by Morten Topp--a wonderful live performance and the one I listen to most: Clips here.
        "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
        --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

I have been to Brahms concert tonight. A cello and violin sonata and the third piano trio. Was lovely. Interesting to hear another composer's piano trio- I have only heard Beethoven's before now.

http://www.liverpoolphil.com/11707/e...ski-piano.html
          Last edited by AeolianHarp; 06-10-2014, 10:46 PM.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
            I confess to not knowing the difference!

17:22-19:07 C minor 'A' section
            19:07-20:38 C major 'B' section

Rather than the usual A-B-A' scherzo, we get an elongated A-B-A-B-A' form.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._5_(Beethoven)#Third_movement_repeat

Comment

I have been to Brahms concert tonight. A cello and violin sonata and the third piano trio. Was lovely. Interesting to hear another composer's piano trio- I have only heard Beethoven's before now.

Sounds wonderful. Brahms' chamber music is some of the greatest music ever written, in my opinion. Listen to his piano quartets, clarinet trio/quintet and horn trio, if you haven't already.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
                Sounds wonderful. Brahms' chamber music is some of the greatest music ever written, in my opinion. Listen to his piano quartets, clarinet trio/quintet and horn trio, if you haven't already.
                Yes, I must get round to it Hal!
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Tonight - Mendelssohn's Elijah. Very good work, first time I've heard this one.
                  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

Then you are missing out on some of the greatest music! Aside from Brahms' wonderful chamber music, the two last great Schubert piano trios are essential (not to mention his sublime string quintet), and how about this glorious piano quartet by Schumann as a taster!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4_aE1CVr1s
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Mozart - Quintet for Piano and Winds

A musical kaleidoscope. I don't think there is a more pleasant sounding ensemble.

Comment

Sinfonie in E flat by Joseph Martin Kraus

Playing: Piano Quintet No 2 in A, Op 81 by Antonin Dvorak

Last edited by Megan; 06-14-2014, 04:43 AM.
                        🎹

Comment

Kakadu Variations. Moments in the final Presto reminds me of the finale of the Ninth.
                          I find moments like this throughout The Masters works.

Comment

Originally posted by dahc View Post
                            Kakadu Variations. Moments in the final Presto reminds me of the finale of the Ninth.
                            I find moments like this throughout The Masters works.
                            I love those dahc.
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Got this boxed set this afternoon:

On historic instruments! They sound wowwwww.....the violin and fortepiano echo, resound and sound like 3d! I bet this is not equal temperament either- certainly sounds like an historic tuning to me.

I much much prefer the sound and tuning of historical instruments.
                              Last edited by AeolianHarp; 06-18-2014, 07:10 PM.
                              Ludwig van Beethoven
                              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

This morning:
                                Mozart: Clarinet Concerto in A, K 622 (Played by a basset clarinet)

Comment

Working...
                                X