Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did Beethoven start his romance with Guicciardi, 1800 or 1801?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fredrika View Post
    So, it's quite clear this form would not have been used in a letter between people who are said to be only platonic friends.

Except that Beethoven addressed Franz Brunsvik with 'du'!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post

I think she means to a woman.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        Oh yes- forgot to point that out, I've understood it's different with the opposite gender. Franz was a very close friend, like a brother. In either case it's a signal of being on intimate terms with some person, and, considering the time period when only heterosexual relationships were accepted there was no danger of misinterpretation if a man calls another man "du".

And yes, Steblin is fluent in both English and German, living currently in Vienna for I don't know how many decades already! She's written many articles in the leading Austrian Music magazine Österreichische Musikzeitschrift, though, I don't know if they have been translated into English. The latest one was titled "Beethoven's Immortal Beloved: the Riddle Solved."
        Last edited by Fredrika; 04-08-2014, 10:09 AM.
        Fühle was dies' Herz empfindent, reiche frei mir deine Hand, und das Band das uns verbindet, sei kein schwaches Rosenband! (J.W.von Goethe)

Comment

So much needs to be translated it seems- or more people learn German!
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
            I'm learning Italian - better climate!
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Fredrika View Post
              Oh yes- forgot to point that out, I've understood it's different with the opposite gender. Franz was a very close friend, like a brother. In either case it's a signal of being on intimate terms with some person, and, considering the time period when only heterosexual relationships were accepted there was no danger of misinterpretation if a man calls another man "du".

And yes, Steblin is fluent in both English and German, living currently in Vienna for I don't know how many decades already! She's written many articles in the leading Austrian Music magazine Österreichische Musikzeitschrift, though, I don't know if they have been translated into English. The latest one was titled "Beethoven's Immortal Beloved: the Riddle Solved."
              Thanks for that Fredrika.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                so much significance unknown that can't be tracked/discovered, since it was never in writing/recorded/documented-Beethoven's movements, people he met/knew that he didn't document/mention-missing pieces, forever. Tard. Fret, fret. ;-)

xoxox
                E
                "It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Comment

Peter, Harp, How are you? I am still studying your posts here. Thank you both!

Who is Fanny?

Was Minona a common German female name? Does it really mean "Anonim - the child with no name - spelled backwards"?

Comment

"Countess Josephine von Brunsvik died on 31 March 1821, at age 42. During this year, Beethoven composed his very last Piano Sonatas Op. 110 and Op. 111, believed by many musicologists[33] to be clearly like requiems, with discernible reminiscences to "Josephine's Theme", the Andante favori.[34]"

I don't believe it -- Op110, Op111 are requiems. Do you?

Comment

Was it true? Did Stackelberg know it??

"Josephine, alone and increasingly ailing, “hired the dubious mathematics teacher Andrian [Karl Eduard von Andrehan-Werburg] ... she gradually fell under his charismatic spell, becoming pregnant and giving birth to Emilie [on 16 September 1815], hiding in a hut.”:

Comment

Peter, Harp, How are you? I am still studying your posts here. Thank you both!

Who is Fanny?
                        Not too bad thanks, how are you doing? Franziska ("Fanny") Giannattasio del Rio (1790-1873), was a daughter of the headmaster of an elite Viennese boarding school of which Karl was sent to.

http://www.musikmph.de/musical_scores/vorworte/389.html

She had strong feelings for Beethoven writing in her diary of 17 November 1816:
                        "Beethoven dropped by today.[...] It has been a long time since I found him so interesting. Everything he says is worthwhile. [...] As foolish as it is to write this, I must do so for the sake of my feelings [...] He took no more notice of me. But what do I want, foolish girl! I must be satisfied that he is still as fond of me as he obviously is."

http://www.musikmph.de/musical_scores/vorworte/389.html

(The above article is interesting except for the Antonie error yet again! )

Was Minona a common German female name? Does it really mean "Anonim - the child with no name - spelled backwards"?
                        No, not a common name. And yes it does spell that backwards:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/anonim

http://www.behindthename.com/submit/name/minona
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by thesunlover View Post
                          "Countess Josephine von Brunsvik died on 31 March 1821, at age 42. During this year, Beethoven composed his very last Piano Sonatas Op. 110 and Op. 111, believed by many musicologists[33] to be clearly like requiems, with discernible reminiscences to "Josephine's Theme", the Andante favori.[34]"

I don't believe it -- Op110, Op111 are requiems. Do you?
                          Of a sort they are, I cannot put it onto words; listen to them and see what they say to you. There is something in them that goes beyond words. I also find that quality in Hammerklavier sonata and Piano Sonata No. 30 in E major, Op. 109. They just have that feel of reminiscence and resolution.
                          Last edited by AeolianHarp; 04-24-2014, 03:49 AM.
                          Ludwig van Beethoven
                          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by thesunlover View Post
                            Was it true? Did Stackelberg know it??

"Josephine, alone and increasingly ailing, “hired the dubious mathematics teacher Andrian [Karl Eduard von Andrehan-Werburg] ... she gradually fell under his charismatic spell, becoming pregnant and giving birth to Emilie [on 16 September 1815], hiding in a hut.”:
                            I think not since she hid under another name and was estranged from Stackelberg, who took delight in going to the police and telling tales- but Emilie was not mentioned.
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Fine. Thanks. I've put most of my spare time on Beethoven study. The more I learn, the more questions I have. Thank you again for your helpful answers. I don't believe Antonie is IB anymore.

(1) I'd rather treat these late sonatas as pure music. Did Beethoven say something regarding Josephine's death?

(2) Stackelberg didn't know his wife had a new born baby? How come? He never suspected to have been cuckolded? Poor Emilie died at age 2.

http://www.geni.com/people/Emilie-vo...00024102890168

Comment

Hi Harp,

The info in your #65 is rather new and astounding!!!

When were these late Josephine letters revealed or published? No researcher paid attention to these shaking words before Mr. Klapproth? -- "Because you are always talking abut that woman, the husband should recognise among his children yours as the one, who possesses musical talent."

Comment

Working...
                                X