Howard Goodall's "Story of Music"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howard Goodall's "Story of Music"

There will be a new six-part series on the history of music, starting on 26th January on the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/pro...-of-music.html

Sounds good, but it's written and presented by Howard Goodall who has publicly stated that he doesn't really like Beethoven. I suppose I should be charitable and say that nobody's perfect.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    There will be a new six-part series on the history of music, starting on 26th January on the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/pro...-of-music.html

Sounds good, but it's written and presented by Howard Goodall who has publicly stated that he doesn't really like Beethoven. I suppose I should be charitable and say that nobody's perfect.
    Thanks Michael, I have made a note, though don't have a telly I hope that there will be a 'listen again' feature on the internet.
    🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
      Thanks Michael, I have made a note, though don't have a telly
      Don't blame you with the endless tripe that's on - well Goodall usually does a good programme and I can just about forgive his Beethovenaphobia providing he doesn't harp on about it!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        Don't blame you with the endless tripe that's on - well Goodall usually does a good programme and I can just about forgive his Beethovenaphobia providing he doesn't harp on about it!
        I'm sure he will pay the proper lip service to our patron.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
          Thanks Michael, I have made a note, though don't have a telly I hope that there will be a 'listen again' feature on the internet.
          The "listen again" service is brilliant for radio, Megan, but any television programmes on the BBC "watch again" are blocked for anybody outside the UK which means me. However, I can watch and record it off Sky. If you keep an eye out after Jan 25th (which is my birthday, by the way) you will be able to see Goodall's programme on your computer.

Comment

The "listen again" service is brilliant for radio, Megan, but any television programmes on the BBC "watch again" are blocked for anybody outside the UK which means me. However, I can watch and record it off Sky. If you keep an eye out after Jan 25th (which is my birthday, by the way) you will be able to see Goodall's programme on your computer.

Thanks Michael, I'll look forward to watching the programme.
            🎹

Comment

I was glancing through Howard Goodall's book (linked to the above-mentioned BBC series) and found his Beethoven analysis annoying - as I knew I would. This link tells it all:

http://www.classicfm.com/composers/b...all-beethoven/

Well, we can't all be Ludwig fans, I suppose. I've just been watching the start of his series and it looks good. At least he isn't swanning around Vienna or Paris or whatever while talking about music.

Comment

I was glancing through Howard Goodall's book (linked to the above-mentioned BBC series) and found his Beethoven analysis annoying - as I knew I would. This link tells it all:

http://www.classicfm.com/composers/b...all-beethoven/

Well, we can't all be Ludwig fans, I suppose. I've just been watching the start of his series and it looks good. At least he isn't swanning around Vienna or Paris or whatever while talking about music.
                Well I admire his honesty but wonder if his reasoning is simply conditioned by our knowledge of Beethoven's working methods? Had we no sketchbooks perhaps Goodall would see (hear) things differently? Actually I haven't watched this series - are we really going to learn anything new, will there be a load of new facts or is it simply another rehash?
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

I actually found the first episode very interesting. He went from the earliest times up to Montiverdi and he explained a lot of technical stuff by means of a keyboard (no doubt rudimentary for many on this forum).

Early harmony such as organum was demonstrated by a fine group of singers and the whole thing was a pleasant surprise. I can almost forgive him for his deafness regarding Beethoven - but, then again, I am pre-judging because he hasn't reached him yet.

Comment

Unfortunately, I can't get to see these programmes, but wasn't Goodall the guy who did the Genius of Beethoven 3-part series on the BBC? He didn't strike me as particularly 'anti Beethoven' there. (I saw those on YouTube for the first time a couple of months ago.)

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                      Unfortunately, I can't get to see these programmes, but wasn't Goodall the guy who did the Genius of Beethoven 3-part series on the BBC? He didn't strike me as particularly 'anti Beethoven' there. (I saw those on YouTube for the first time a couple of months ago.)
                      No, that was Charles Hazelwood, another BBC musician-cum-presenter. His favourite composer is Mozart but he did a fine job on the Beethoven series. Hazelwood is a conductor of more "serious" music while Goodall is more in the "light" vein. (I hate those distinctions but it's the quickest way to get the point across.)
                      Incidentally, Goodall wrote the theme music for "Blackadder" and "Mr Bean".

Comment

No, that was Charles Hazelwood, another BBC musician-cum-presenter. His favourite composer is Mozart but he did a fine job on the Beethoven series. Hazelwood is a conductor of more "serious" music while Goodall is more in the "light" vein. (I hate those distinctions but it's the quickest way to get the point across.)
                        Incidentally, Goodall wrote the theme music for "Blackadder" and "Mr Bean".
                        Ah, right you are!

Comment

[...] Incidentally, Goodall wrote the theme music for "Blackadder" and "Mr Bean".
                          Funny you mention Mr Bean:
                          http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2013...-london-review

Comment

I must confess I thoroughly enjoyed Goodalls' tour of the Baroque era. I must admire him for his "keyboard" approach. He really knows his stuff.
                            However, I will be very interested in how he approaches our hero next week.
                            He doesn't "get" Beethoven and has fully admitted it.
                            Will he pay lip service or will he give his honest opinion?
                            Will the awareness that countless millions of musicians and laymen worship Ludwig Van make him wary? Or will he stick to his guns?
                            Next week will tell.

In this age of sexual equality, I apologise for the word "laymen" but I'm afraid "laywomen" doesn't help!

Comment

I must confess I thoroughly enjoyed Goodalls' tour of the Baroque era. I must admire him for his "keyboard" approach. He really knows his stuff.
                              However, I will be very interested in how he approaches our hero next week.
                              He doesn't "get" Beethoven and has fully admitted it.
                              Will he pay lip service or will he give his honest opinion?
                              Will the awareness that countless millions of musicians and laymen worship Ludwig Van make him wary? Or will he stick to his guns?
                              Next week will tell.

In this age of sexual equality, I apologise for the word "laymen" but I'm afraid "laywomen" doesn't help!
                              I think I'll wait for the dvd - can't get into the mood for it at the moment but I know he is a Goodall presenter! Much preferable to Hazlewood who I find irritating.
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X