Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The A-Z Beethoven Quiz (rules of the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control tower: Copy that, Flight Lieutenant. Over.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
      Oops, was typing my little sketch above when "Mad Mike" Michael re-established radio contact. On track now for the "H".
      H is for ...
      Totally off-topic, but I knew someone called "Mad Mike". He was proud of his nickname and insisted that everybody called him "Mad Mike". He got quite insulted if you called him "Mike".
      I'm not mad.

Comment

Whilst Flight Lieutenant "Mad Mike" Michael is busy bombing Dresden as per orders, I offer you the "H".
        H = Johann Horzalka, another long-forgotten contributor to the original Diabolics that were cruelly overshadowed by our friend from Bonn.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Totally off-topic, but I knew someone called "Mad Mike". He was proud of his nickname and insisted that everybody called him "Mad Mike". He got quite insulted if you called him "Mike".
          I'm not mad.
          [As in the pantomimes]: Oh yes you are!

Comment

Also off-topic, but did you know that the word 'Lieutentant' comes from the French 'lieu' (place) and 'tenant' (from 'tenir', to hold; 'tenant' = holding)?
            Ergo the English word 'tenant', the person 'holding' the lease or rental agreement.
            I'm mad.
            Last edited by Quijote; 09-20-2012, 09:00 PM. Reason: Madness and punctuation.

Comment

Mad, but with method. The worst kind. Certain names spring to mind. From Austria. Keen on annoying (when not annexing) the neighbours. With a neat little moustache.
              I is for ...
              Last edited by Quijote; 09-20-2012, 09:12 PM. Reason: Bruckner?

Comment

The bloody I's!
                I is becoming as bad as X.
                Anyway:

"I dream'd I lay where flow'rs were springing"
                (appropiately) Irish Songs, WoO 153 No. 5

Last edited by Michael; 09-20-2012, 09:18 PM. Reason: Couldn't spell appropriately (due to alcohol) - couldn't even pronounce it.

Comment

I bet you've got enough of those Irish, Scottish and Welsh songs to keep this quiz going for another 60 pages! Like my Diabolics. God only knows what we'll come up with after we've exhausted such sources. Then we'll really start to separate the chaff from the wheat. Who will be the eventual winner of this A-Z LvB quiz? Only the mad know.

Comment

I'm off to bed!
                    J is for ...

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                      Also off-topic, but did you know that the word 'Lieutentant' comes from the French 'lieu' (place) and 'tenant' (from 'tenir', to hold; 'tenant' = holding)?
                      Ergo the English word 'tenant', the person 'holding' the lease or rental agreement.
                      I'm mad.
                      And the reason we British mis-pronounce the word as lef-tenant is due to a sloppy, scribbled note, delivered by messenger many moons ago, where the U in the word looked like a V, and then softened over intervening years to sound like F. Hope that makes sense...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        The bloody I's!
                        I is becoming as bad as X.
                        Anyway:

"I dream'd I lay where flow'rs were springing"
                        (appropiately) Irish Songs, WoO 153 No. 5

Sounds like a combination of two songs by The Move:
                        Flowers In The Rain and I Can Hear The Grass Grow.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                          And the reason we British mis-pronounce the word as lef-tenant is due to a sloppy, scribbled note, delivered by messenger many moons ago, where the U in the word looked like a V, and then softened over intervening years to sound like F. Hope that makes sense...
                          Can't sleep, too excited by these quizzes!
                          PDG, I vunderfand completely. You alvays sake somplete pense to me.

Comment

Sounds like a combination of two songs by The Move: Flowers In The Rain and I Can Hear The Grass Grow.
                            Funny coincidence that second song you mention, PDG. Makes me think of Franz Schreker (contemporary of Schoenberg, Korngold ...) who was very much into nature. He once asked his daughter "Can you hear the sound of the earth?". One of his Lyrische Gesänge was based on a text by Walt Whitman: “Ein Kind sagt: Was ist das Gras?” [A child said, What is the grass?].
                            Thought I'd just mention that, though my enemies will say I'm a high art name-dropper. Not really, just a reference your posting made me think of. One must resist the 'Thought Police' constantly. Tiresome, but necessary.

Comment

I've often wondered about that myself.

Comment

Clearly, his daughter had not heard of The Move!

Songwriter (extraordinaire) Roy Wood was really just 'tuning in' to the 'Flower Power' vibes of the time (it was 1967 after all).

But seriously, I don't consider your comments to be 'high brow' or whatever...

Comment

Working...
                                X