Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The A-Z Beethoven Quiz (rules of the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
    This might be helpful, but as far as working on the railways, probably not too much.

http://www.lvbeethoven.com/Famille/FamilyTreeKarl.html
    That's where I got Gabriele from, Sorrano!

I am positive I read somewhere about a railway worker in the USA who was a descendant of Karl or somebody. It stuck in my mind because I had a mental picture of him, hammering rivets (or whatever) while the foreman shouted: "C'mon Beethoven! Put your back into it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      That's where I got Gabriele from, Sorrano!

I am positive I read somewhere about a railway worker in the USA who was a descendant of Karl or somebody. It stuck in my mind because I had a mental picture of him, hammering rivets (or whatever) while the foreman shouted: "C'mon Beethoven! Put your back into it!"
      Nice!

Comment

Conducting.

Among the violinists was the composer Ludwig Spohr (1784-1859), who was astounded by Beethoven’s conducting style, noting how he used “all manner of singular bodily movements.

Beethoven was playing a new piano concerto of his, but already at the first tutti, forgetting that he was soloist, he jumped up and began to conduct in his own peculiar fashion. At the first Sforzando he threw out his arms so wide that he knocked over both the lamps from the music stand of the piano.

Last edited by Megan; 11-06-2012, 12:32 PM.
        🎹

Comment

Duport, Jean-Louis. Cellist living with his brother in Berlin. Beethoven wrote the cello sonatas, Op 5, for him

Comment

English Bulls.

by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827) , "English bulls", alternate title: "The Irishman in London", WoO. 152 (25 irische Lieder) no. 12, G. 223 no. 12 (1810/3). [voice, violin, violoncello, piano]
            🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
              English Bulls.

by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827) , "English bulls", alternate title: "The Irishman in London", WoO. 152 (25 irische Lieder) no. 12, G. 223 no. 12 (1810/3). [voice, violin, violoncello, piano]
              A song that makes fun of the Irish!!!
              ()

Comment

A song that makes fun of the Irish!!!
                ()
                I'ts amazing what one discovers on youtube

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA-safMBsU4[/YOUTUBE]

I also like this one.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeN-jrZRO20&feature=endscreen[/YOUTUBE]
                Last edited by Megan; 11-06-2012, 05:49 PM.
                🎹

Comment

I was just about to post the "English Bulls" lyrics but you saved me the trouble, Megan.

Whatever about the words (and they are quite funny), Beethoven must have been impressed by the tune because he also included it in his sets of variations on national airs.

The second song is extremely beautiful and haunting - one of my favourite Beethoven arrangements. It's called "Sunset" and is followed on your link above by "The Return to Ulster". This is somewhat spoilt for me by Christopher Maltman's pronunciation of the river "Lagan" in the second line. It's "Lag" as in "bag" but he sings "Layg". I like Beethoven's little Fifth Symphony motif on the piano.

I order PDG to listen to these songs a dozen times!

Last edited by Michael; 11-06-2012, 06:52 PM.

Comment

One of my favorite of the folksongs!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      One of my favorite of the folksongs!
                      "English Bulls"?

It must be "Sunset"!

Comment

"English Bulls"?

It must be "Sunset"!
                        "English Bulls", though "Sunset" is also a great one. I tend to favor the more lively ones. "Let brain-spinning swains" and "The Deserter" were always two of my favorites. Though I'd better stop talking about this now, lest I disrupt the game! (I'm impressed you've all made it this far, by the way - I gave up thinking about it a few rounds in!)

Comment

F as in Festival, the Beethoven Festival held in Park City, Utah earlier this year.

http://www.pcmusicfestival.com/2012summer.html

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                            "English Bulls", though "Sunset" is also a great one. I tend to favor the more lively ones. "Let brain-spinning swains" and "The Deserter" were always two of my favorites.
                            One of the lines from your first song above runs:

"At Cork or Killarney, Killala or Blarney ....."

Again, the singer mispronounces Killala but at least he got my jolly old home town right!

Comment

Laura, a picture with Gene Tierney, because she must have listened to some of Beethoven's compositions at least once in her life. And there I have a W in cue for Clifton Web.

Comment

Melodrama

Beethoven’s Melodram, for glass harmonica with recitation, was composed in 1814 as incidental music for Friedrich Duncker’s drama entitled Leonore Prohaska.

http://browsebriankane.com/My_Homepa.../Melodrama.pdf
                                Last edited by Megan; 11-07-2012, 10:12 AM.
                                🎹

Comment

Working...
                                X