Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The A-Z Beethoven Quiz (rules of the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quill pen, Beethoven carried with his conversation books.

Last edited by Megan; 10-26-2012, 05:42 PM.
    🎹

Comment

Didn't notice Megan had posted so I'm deleting my Q and saving it for a rainy day.
      Last edited by Michael; 10-26-2012, 07:13 PM.

Comment

I have another Q, as well, a rather devious one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
          I have another Q, as well, a rather devious one.
          Join the Q.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
            Well, it's quite possible there were parallel fifths, Enrique (I'll have to check the scores to be sure). But in some harmony treatises certain parallel fifths are permitted, sometimes referred to a "Mozart parallel fifths". The 4-part harmony "rules" are that a perfect 5th followed by a diminished 5th or vice versa in the upper voices is permitted, but not with the bass. Even Bach does it sometimes in his chorale harmonizations, but uses rhythmic displacement to "hide" too direct a parallel 5th.
            Well, it was ironically meant by me. But I'm grateful anyways as this gave place for you to teach some interested concepts. All things theorical interest me.
            Last edited by Enrique; 10-26-2012, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
              ... PDG quivering at the thought that he wanted to keep all these difficult letters but he can't deliver the goods!
              Young Philip, me lad...

I have never failed to deliver the goods (especially when I was a driver for TESCO). I believe I have thus far offered my fair share of Qs, Xs, Ys and Zs.....I do find however that whenever I check in, these letters have already passed by and we're back with the mundane As and Bs again.....

Plus, I'm keeping my powder dry for the much later rounds...

Comment

R = R. That's right, R. In the Eulenburg score of the Eroica on page 46 is the rehearsal letter R. So there.

Comment

S = Segueing. The performance of multiple musical movements without an obvious break.

Beethoven achieves this most brilliantly in the Quartet, Op.131 in C# minor. As perfect a composition as one could imagine...

Comment

Thun, Countess . Wife of Prince Lichnowsky, an old buddy of Ludwig's.

Comment

Uibel, Joseph, B's tailor whom he owed 300 florins, as stated in a conversation book.

I have to be honest. He was a lawyer, though connected with the case of whether B had payed his tailor or not.

Comment

Volatile.

Although utterly bemused by Beethoven’s volatile temperament and lack of social etiquette, Mozart recognised in him a kindred spirit.
                        🎹

Comment

Wawruch, Dr Andreas. One of the doctors who treated Beethoven in his last illness.

Comment

X is for the Roman number of the last Symphony that Beethoven did not compose.

Comment

Roehre already did that one, Sorrano! Have another go, je vous en prie!
                              PS: I'm in the Black Forest until next Tuesday with very slow internet connection (one of those USB/Internet stick thingies), so I won't be able to post much as it's too frustrating.

Comment

Sorry, I was wondering if that had been used.

Comment

Working...
                                X