Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The A-Z Beethoven Quiz (rules of the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptus

It would appear that during a "Raptus" Beethoven was temporarily out of touch with his environment or, "off the planet".

Frimmel translated it as a Fahzorn--a sudden terrifying fit of fury.
    🎹

Comment

Schleiermacher, F. Schindler says, although he was wrong, that an edition of Plato B. supposedly had, was a translation by Schleiermacher.

The thing is that our beloved hero never read any Plato, it seems. I remember having read that Debussy said: There was not an ounce of literature in Beethoven. He was speaking about the musical creation and the degree in which literature interacts with it.

As Quijote posted fourth for a letter F, because Beethoven had used fourths in a composition, I could as well have put sixth, because he also employs them in opus 55. Faith.
      Last edited by Enrique; 10-20-2012, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post

I remember having read that Debussy said: There was not an ounce of literature in Beethoven. He was speaking about the musical creation and the degree in which literature interacts with it.

I don't know where Debussy got that idea. Beethoven was quite well read even if his choice of reading matter was haphazard. He had a great love of Shakespeare, not to mention Goethe, Schiller and many lesser writers.

He did have a tendency, especially in philosophical works, to write down striking or grandiose phrases without digesting their full implications and his letters show how difficult he found words instead of notes, but there was certainly more than "an ounce of literature" in this complicated man.

Anyway, a T ............

Tuscher, Matthias von. A Councillor in Vienna, he was guardian of B's nephew for some months.
        (I don't think I posted this already, but it's becoming a huge pain to check back. )

'
        Last edited by Michael; 10-20-2012, 09:59 PM. Reason: slight grammatical alteration due to O.C.D.

Comment

U = Ubiquitous. That 'Ode to Joy' theme is everywhere, from film (Clockwork Orange) to advertising (top of the range cars), passing via European official 'anthems' arranged by von Karajan to scholarly studies (Esteban Buch).

Comment

You're tilting at windmills, Quijote!

Comment

V = Variations (x 32) for piano on an original theme in C minor, WoO 80.

Beethoven was later embarrassed by them but they are brilliantly compact and seem to me to pre-empt the Diabelli work...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                You're tilting at windmills, Quijote!
                Caballero Miguel "Miguel El Loco", you say I'm tilting at windmills whereas in reality I'm scraping barrels.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                  V = Variations (x 32) for piano on an original theme in C minor, WoO 80.

Beethoven was later embarrassed by them but they are brilliantly compact and seem to me to pre-empt the Diabelli work...
                  One of my all-time favourites! I don't know what the hell he was embarrassed about, but then, I'm not a composer. Twelve minutes of bliss - depending on the pianist!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    I don't know where Debussy got that idea. Beethoven was quite well read even if his choice of reading matter was haphazard. He had a great love of Shakespeare, not to mention Goethe, Schiller and many lesser writers.

He was speaking about the process of musical creation, and argued that, in Beethoven, it did not involve literature for the most part. He goes to the extreme of saying that, in the Ninth, Schiller, who Debussy couldn't ignore Beethoven read, was taken into account only for the expression of musical effects contained in the Ode's words.

As for the W,

West-oestlicher Divan (Goethe), was in LvB's personal library.
                    Last edited by Enrique; 10-21-2012, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Oh dear, the dreaded "X" ! Didn't PDG say he wanted to keep the XYZ section?
                      PDG, wake up, get out of bed (mind those Tennants Extra Strong Lager cans strewn all over the floor; me : been there, done that!), switch on your computer and post us an "X". Please!

Comment

Beethoven's X. When Ludwig ditched his Immortal Beloved she became his X.

(On second thoughts, let's leave it to PDG!)

By the way, thanks to Enrique for drawing my attention to the "Search this Thread" tool at the top of each page. It's a quick way to check if you or anyone else has posted an item. It's particularly useful in this thread.

Last edited by Michael; 10-21-2012, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Y is there no Y?

According to strict rules, I must post another X inside 24 hours.

Well, how about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-XhX_XC2TQ

Comment

I think both Xs are OK, Michael, let's run with them!
                            Yes indeed, the "Y" is awaiting its turn. PDG?

Comment

Someone will want to shoot me for this.

Y is for Yellow Book, a print by Andy Warhol:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Poster-Pri.../dp/B0006THR2Y

Comment

Consider yourself shot, Monsieur!
                                Actually, that was very inventive of you, it's somehow Beethoven related, so let's run with that, too!
                                Now for the "Z". PDG is either still in bed or down at the hospital getting his feet stitched up after tripping over those lager cans strewn all over his mansion.
                                Last edited by Quijote; 10-22-2012, 08:19 PM. Reason: Strewth, I misspelt "strewn" !!

Comment

Working...
                                X