Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The A-Z Beethoven Quiz (rules of the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phew, that completes Round 5. Well done everybody, even the dodgy entries.

Comment

A-Z Beethoven Quiz Round 6
      A is for ...

Comment

Alle Menschen werden BrĂ¼der, (All men will be brothers)

From Ode to Joy
        🎹

Comment

B = Breitkopf und Härtel, publishers (i.a. 5th and 6th symphonies)

Comment

C = Heinrich von Collin. B wrote the incidental music and overture for his play "Coriolan". They almost came up with "Macbeth"!

Comment

D = Dorian mode, one of the archaic modes that LvB employed in the Missa solemnis.

Comment

E = Equale, piece for a set of trombones. B composed at least four of them, 3 for 4 trombones (WoO 30), at least one for 6 trombones (lost), in Linz, 1812.

Comment

Fugue in d major for String Quintet. Opus 137
                  🎹

Comment

Galitzin, Prince Nikolas Borisovich, etc.
                    I will forgive this fellow for his unwieldy name because, without him, we may never have had three of the late quartets.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      Galitzin, Prince Nikolas Borisovich, etc.
                      I will forgive this fellow for his unwieldy name because, without him, we may never have had three of the late quartets.
                      Sorry Michael, already covered by Roehre in Post #58, Page 2.
                      Getting a little unwieldy this quiz is!
                      So Michael, a new "G" if you would be so kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                        Sorry Michael, already covered by Roehre in Post #58, Page 2.
                        Getting a little unwieldy this quiz is!
                        So Michael, a new "G" if you would be so kind.
                        Oops! Sorry, Philip! I suspect there might be a lot of repetition as this thread goes on! (I have already ignored one or two repititions).
                        Right! G .......

Gallenberg, Count something-or-other. He married Beethoven's "friend" Giuletta Giuiccardi (you might have heard of her) in 1803. And so the "Moonlight Sonata" was wasted!
                        Last edited by Michael; 09-20-2012, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Control tower: Calling Michael, come in Michael ... (zzzz ... radio interference ...), over?
                          Michael: zzzz "Can't ...zzz .... cabbage crates over the briny ... damned Bosch everywhere ... zzz... are you receiving me? zzz ..."
                          Control tower: Michael, message not clear. Repeat please.
                          Michael: "zzz [more radio interference] ... zzz ... gotcha, you Hun! Sorry control tower, just wanted ...zzzz ... damn, what's this button for ...zzzz .... Over?"
                          Control tower: Message not clear, Michael. We need a "G". Do you copy?
                          Michael: You need a Pee? ... zzzz ... I zzzz .... you already, why don't ... zzzz ... the fu ... zzzz ... chamber pot. Over."
                          Bomber Harris: Problem, Smythe?
                          Control tower: No Sir, just having difficulties reaching Flight Lieutenant Michael. Spot of bother with radio communications. Usual stuff. We just need a "G".
                          Bomber Harris: You know where the latrines are, Smythe. Now go and firebomb Dresden and get on with it.
                          Last edited by Quijote; 09-20-2012, 08:43 PM. Reason: Sketch refinement

Comment

Oops, was typing my little sketch above when "Mad Mike" Michael re-established radio contact. On track now for the "H".
                            H is for ...

Comment

Sorry if I held up the quiz but I had to tend to some other things like ...... breathing ..... eating, etc.

Anyway, Philip, I am glad to know that you are watching for repeats. This could could become very difficult when you get to round 26!

Seriously, you should keep this going as long as you can. The fun will start when everybody runs out ........................

I still have a lovely X. Megan beat me to it with a brilliant one!

Comment

I also have a lovely "aitch" but the rules won't allow me to post it!

Comment

Working...
                                X