Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The A-Z Beethoven Quiz (rules of the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I buried Paul.
    Dang, I thought that was George!

Comment

C = Empress Catherina of Russia, dedicatee of the Polonaise opus 89

Comment

D is for Dressler, Ernst Christoph, for who's March Beethoven composed a set of variations, WoO 63.

Comment

E is for Eroica, the name of Beethoven's Symphony No. 3, Op. 55 - the Piano Variations, Op. 35, are known by this name as well

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
            Dang, I thought that was George!
            Some funny guy pointed out recently that the Beatles are dying in the wrong order. As in John, Paul, George and Ringo.

(I've a feeling I posted this recently - but please excuse me if that is so. I am back from a party next door which didn't go on too long but involved a lot of (whisper) alcohol!!!)

Comment

Freude.
              I've had too many drinks at a party, so you don't really need the "schoener gotterfunken" do you? Or any explanation?

Comment

All clear, thanks Michael.
                G = Johann Baptist Gänsbacher,another contributor to the original Diabelli Variations project, 93 in all it seems.

Comment

H = harp, instrument used only twice by Beethoven (Prometheus and Swiss variations WoO 64)

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                    H = harp, instrument used only twice by Beethoven (Prometheus and Swiss variations WoO 64)
                    And in the Romance for soprano and harp "Es bluht eine Blume im Garten mein" from Leonore Prohaska WoO96, an absolutely beautiful piece (the song, not the soprano)

Comment

Imperial Court Theatre, Vienna (also known as the Burg Theatre). A performance of the Eroica was given there in September 1809.

(This thread is getting hard on the Is).

Comment

L = Josef Linke (1783-1837), another 'cellist in B's entourage. Played in the premières of several of B's quartets and for whom Beethoven wrote the two Cello Sonatas Op. 102. Not as fat as Schuppanzigh.

Comment

He's not the guy who stamped on the score of one of B's quartets, is he? Saying it was unplayable or incomprehensible? Can't remember.

Comment

Are you dyslexic, Philip? They say that one always remembers where one was when JFK was shot, but I'll always remember where I was when J&K got steam-rollered...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              And in the Romance for soprano and harp "Es bluht eine Blume im Garten mein" from Leonore Prohaska WoO96, an absolutely beautiful piece (the song, not the soprano)
                              That's the one I always tend to forget, as I've got that Glasharmonica in my head as the only exceptional instrument in that Leonore

-------------------

to save Philip:

K = Kaiserconcert the German nickname for the piano concerto opus 73
                              Last edited by Roehre; 09-15-2012, 01:34 PM.

Comment

M = Maria Theresia, dedicatee of the septet op.20

Comment

Working...
                                X