Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's irritating to have so little information about these things; the "Zanotelli" performance (I thought) was better than the Barenboim, although the recording itself was not so good.

This morning:

Beethoven Bagatelles, op. 126

Comment

Also listening to Bruckner - Symphony no.5.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        Which conductor?

Comment

Just curious to know what CD that would be? But anyway, it's a roller-coaster of a work, isn't it? I read that Bruckner once said after its completion that he hoped never to have to write anything like it again, even if offered "a thousand gulden" (the literal translation). A more idiomatic expression would be "for all the tea in China". My own version would be "I'd rather have a lobotomy than write another symphony like that!"

Comment

Sorry, must dash, big storm brewing here in Strasbourg after all the recent heat, must switch off and disconnect all my equipment.
            Cue : Beethoven's Pastoral, you know the movement ...

Comment

Phew, storm over (do I hear a collective groan from the BRS?). So, I offer you my Shepherd's Song of Happy and Thankful Feelings after the Storm.
              At least I don't have to water the plants on the balcony tonight, hah!

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                Sorry, must dash, big storm brewing here in Strasbourg after all the recent heat, must switch off and disconnect all my equipment.
                Cue : Beethoven's Pastoral, you know the movement ...

Ich auch!
                It happens everytime I mow the lawn, a big black cloud comes over and now looks very threatening. The rain can come now I have finished mowing.

Last edited by Megan; 08-24-2011, 02:59 PM.
                🎹

Comment

Just curious to know what CD that would be? But anyway, it's a roller-coaster of a work, isn't it? I read that Bruckner once said after its completion that he hoped never to have to write anything like it again, even if offered "a thousand gulden" (the literal translation). A more idiomatic expression would be "for all the tea in China". My own version would be "I'd rather have a lobotomy than write another symphony like that!"
                  It's the original version Eugene Ormandy / Philadelphia.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

It's the original version Eugene Ormandy / Philadelphia.
                    Isn't that the Schalk version, used up to in the 1930 as the standard "original" version, severely cut, especially in the scherzo?
                    Last edited by Roehre; 08-24-2011, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Which reminds me of the saying, "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Comment

About Bruckner's 5th, the truly sad thing is he never got to hear it played. Oh, for sure he knew how it sounded in his mind's ear (much as Beethoven could), but there is nothing like hearing music in the raw, live.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                          Isn't that the Schalk version, used up to in the 1930 as the standard "original" version, severely cut, especially in the scherzo?
                          I don't think so - according to the cd notes Ormandy used Bruckner's 1894 autograph manuscript deposited at the Hofbibliotek Vienna. The timing for the scherzo is 12.32. The recording is coupled with the 7th symphony Bruno Walter/ Columbia symphony orchestra.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                            Ich auch!
                            It happens everytime I mow the lawn, a big black cloud comes over and now looks very threatening. The rain can come now I have finished mowing.
                            Is this a metaphor, Megan? The lawn reading as the "BRS", the big black cloud reading as some awful poster whose name we shan't even mention (but who lives in Strasbourg and calls himself [deleted. Ed])? The rain reading as the administrators who swoosh in to wash away the offending posts? It's that, isn't it?
                            Last edited by Quijote; 08-24-2011, 08:52 PM. Reason: Deleted, for reasons of delusion. [Ed.]

Comment

In light of the above posts, I did check out the first movement of Bruckner's 5th with Solti and the Chicago Mobsters (just a little joke of mine), DECCA records (1980?).
                              Rather a lacklustre performance, far too stolid.
                              Last edited by Quijote; 08-24-2011, 08:38 PM. Reason: Curious to see if the adjective "stolid" will now appear elsewhere

Comment

Is this a metaphor, Megan? The lawn reading as the "BRS", the big black cloud reading as some awful poster whose name we shan't even mention? The rain reading as the administrators who swoosh in to wash away the offending posts? It's that, isn't it?
                                It must have been the mowing that chopped away the posts and the rain waters that flushed them down the drain! Now, wasn't it a drain in which Beethoven lost a penny and lost his temper?

Comment

Working...
                                X