Beethoven in "Help!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven in "Help!"

Last night, I watched Help!. That's right, the Beatles movie. At one point Ringo is confronted by an escaped zoo tiger who aparently can calm down only if you sing "Ode to joy" by "famous Beethoven." Ringo can't quite pick it up, but everyone else suddenly starts singing it, (in German!) and pretty soon, the whole town is singing along! The tiger was quite pleased. It made me curious if anyone here has ever found that in a tense situation (whatever it may be) that humming something by Beethoven will make you feel better or make the trouble go away somehow.

<font color="orange">B</font>o<font color="orange">b</font>

------------------
    Some have said I am ripe for the Madhouse. Does that make me Beethoven? No, but it is interesting.

[This message has been edited by Bob the Composer (edited 08-03-2001).]
    Some have said I am ripe for the Madhouse. Does that make me Beethoven? No, but it is interesting.

If I feel bad I play the quartet opus 130 and feel better. If I need courage to do something I play the symphonies, and especially the 6th when the weather is bad.
    I am unable to do something AND listen B.'s music anyway (as I do for others composers).
    The triple concerto makes me very happy...
    There is a B.'s music for each moment. It is an "human music".

Claudie
    Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
      If I need courage to do something I play the symphonies, and especially the 6th when the weather is bad.

Claudie
      Funny - I love the 6th on a beautiful Spring day!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the Composer:

Last night, I watched Help!. That's right, the Beatles movie. At one point Ringo is confronted by an escaped zoo tiger who aparently can calm down only if you sing "Ode to joy" by "famous Beethoven." Ringo can't quite pick it up, but everyone else suddenly starts singing it, (in German!) and pretty soon, the whole town is singing along! The tiger was quite pleased. It made me curious if anyone here has ever found that in a tense situation (whatever it may be) that humming something by Beethoven will make you feel better or make the trouble go away somehow.

That would make a good trivia quiz question: "Did the Beatles ever perform Beethoven? (Apart from 'Roll Over')".

I always find myself humming themes from the first movement of Rasoumovsky Number One, no matter what mood I'm in. It's begun to annoy me lately.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          Funny - I love the 6th on a beautiful Spring day!
          So true, Peter!! The 6th on a wonderful sunny day, what could be better than that?

Joy
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the Composer:

Bob
            Aside from the fact that I had a HUGE crush on all of The Beatles and watched all of their movies way back when, I had forgotten that part of the movie, Bob, thanks for jogging my memory!! I have a CD of some of B's adagio's for piano sonata's and string quartets. I love putting that one on after a hard, stressful day at the office. It's very soothing and peaceful. Working at my office, however, is rather pleasant as my employer, a
            doctor-chiropractor has soothing classical music going on all day to keep a peaceful atmosphere. So, I'm rather lucky I get to work in that environment.

Joy
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
              So true, Peter!! The 6th on a wonderful sunny day, what could be better than that?

Joy
              Not much! Just put me in a rowing boat on a river with a glass of Champagne listening to the strains of the scene by the brook on my walkman and I'd be in heaven!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Not much! Just put me in a rowing boat on a river with a glass of Champagne listening to the strains of the scene by the brook on my walkman and I'd be in heaven!

This is my idea of heaven,

Put me in a neck high bath, hot enough so that you can only just stand it. Have a a huge bowl of Road smash ice cream (I think that that flavour is exclusive to New Zealand) in a plastic bowl (so it floats) and listening to Debussy and Beethovens Romance for Bassoon, flute and ________? (gosh that is bad of me to forgat that, AND I HAVE PERFORMED IT! Can anone tell me the name of it?) Anyway, and staying in there until the cows come home! I think that you should all try it, actually (sorry Rod) I thionk that I will call it my corrective services. Yes, IT IS JUST HEAVEN!

oboe_15
                Beethoven and all composers Rock!

Comment

Road Smash ice cream??? Dare I ask what that is?

Mary

Comment

Originally posted by oboe_15:

Beethovens Romance for Bassoon, flute and ________? (gosh that is bad of me to forgat that, AND I HAVE PERFORMED IT! Can anone tell me the name of it?)

oboe_15
                    Only work I can think you mean is the trio WoO37 for piano, flute and Bassoon which featured earlier on the rare Beethoven pages on this site.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by MCS:
                      Road Smash ice cream??? Dare I ask what that is?

Mary

Well, it is hard ot describe, It has little chunks of chocolate, marshmellow, caramel all evenly mixed into a chocolate eclair type ice cream. It is just heaven in a bowl! And I would gladly send it to anyone if they asked me to (as I get if for a steaking price at the supermarket I work in, providing I can send it in a freezer somehow). There are alot of foods that I love here in New Zealand. And while we are on the topic of food, until recently, I though that it was impossible to find "Mcvities Digestives" (a British thing)The reason I know of them, is because my music teacher brang them back for me after she was telling me how good they are! And now I am hooked! I had to BEG AND GREASE to my boss to import them. They too are good to have in the bath while having a big ol cup of Milo (hot chocolate).

I know that this is not entirly related to Beethoven, but I am sure that he would of had a favourite food (does anyone know what it was?) and if he were around today, he would LOVE the food that I love! ANYONE WOULD! But I do wonder if it is recorded that he had a favourite food?

And to all the Americans, What are "Sloppy Joes"? It has driven me crazy as to waht they are!

Beethoven?Roadsmash ice cream ROCKS!

oboe_15

[This message has been edited by oboe_15 (edited 08-04-2001).]
                      Beethoven and all composers Rock!

Comment

Originally posted by oboe_15:

I know that this is not entirly related to Beethoven, but I am sure that he would of had a favourite food (does anyone know what it was?) and if he were around today, he would LOVE the food that I love! ANYONE WOULD! But I do wonder if it is recorded that he had a favourite food?

oboe_15

He preferred simple plain food and fish to meat.

Amongst his favourites were Macaroni, Stracchino cheese. Verona salami. Fish(Schill) & potatoes. Bread soup

To drink he liked Spring water (esp.in summer) and Wine (esp.from Budapest). His coffee at 60 beans per cup must have been awfully strong!

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Only work I can think you mean is the trio WoO37 for piano, flute and Bassoon which featured earlier on the rare Beethoven pages on this site.

Or would it be the "Romance cantabile" for the same three instruments plus orchestra - a really gorgeous piece by the sixteen-year-old B. It may have been from a complete concerto and was completed by Willy Hess.

Michael

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oboe_15:

Well, it is hard ot describe, It has little chunks of chocolate, marshmellow, caramel all evenly mixed into a chocolate eclair type ice cream. It is just heaven in a bowl!

Sounds delicious, oboe...I was afraid it had something to do with dead wildlife. (Here in Canada any wild creatures killed by cars on the highways are referred to as 'roadkill'.)...

..And I would gladly send it to anyone if they asked me to...

I'll take you up on that offer, please!

And while we are on the topic of food, until recently, I though that it was impossible to find "Mcvities Digestives" (a British thing)

They're good, aren't they?

The reason I know of them, is because my music teacher brang them back for me after she was telling me how good they are! And now I am hooked! I had to BEG AND GREASE to my boss to import them.

Let me get this straight....Did you beg and grease your boss? Or did you just grease yourself instead?

...And to all the Americans, What are "Sloppy Joes"? It has driven me crazy as to waht they are!

They're kind of a messy hamburger.

Nice to get a prespective from 'Down Under'.
                            G'day and all.

Mary

Comment

<font color="blue">I sometimes like to hum the first movement of the 7th symphony every now and then when I need to work faster.</font>

<font color="green">Thank you all for you wonderful posts. Continue.</font>

<font color="blue">Bob</font>

------------------
                              <font color="green">Some have said I am ripe for the Madhouse. Does that make me Beethoven? No, but it is interesting.</font>

[This message has been edited by Bob the Composer (edited 08-04-2001).]

Comment

Working...
                              X