Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a new Violin Sonata in e-minor

Hallo,

In the last weeks I composed a sonata for violin and piano in e-minor.
    It would help me very much to hear from you what you think of it.

Alle 3 movements are build on the same main motif (e - b - a - c - b):

I. Allegro man non troppo
    www.gerdprengel.de/violinsonata-1.mp3
    www.gerdprengel.de/violinsonata-1.pdf

II. Arioso Andante dolente
    www.gerdprengel.de/violin-sonata-2.mp3
    www.gerdprengel.de/violinsonata-2.pdf

III. Tarantella - Allegro con fuoco
    www.gerdprengel.de/violin-sonata-3.mp3
    www.gerdprengel.de/violinsonata_3.pdf

Gerd
    Last edited by gprengel; 03-08-2010, 09:50 PM.

Very interesting, Gerd!! You're showing your knowledge and respect of JSB too. I would have liked to hear a little more playing around with atonality, but otherwise I enjoyed your work.

Comment

Gerd, what software do you use for scoring? That looks very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
        Gerd, what software do you use for scoring? That looks very nice!
        Well, I use "Finale 2008". But it only looks nice?

Gerd

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
          Very interesting, Gerd!! You're showing your knowledge and respect of JSB too.
          Bach? This astonishes me a bit. Where do you see a knowlegde of Bach in this sonata?

Regards
          Gerd

Comment

Yes, very interesting! Thanks for sharing it, Gerd. I particularly liked the third movement. And seven flats in that part in the first movement? Good heavens!

Comment

In the opening movement, the "counterpoint" - particularly your main theme - is very Bachian in the piano's onward flow, rhythm and the sheer note volume. Of course, there are other influences - how could there not be! - but I detected Bach in your first movement. I'm listening as I write this. I like your development and think the piano has the more interesting role. You're using the violin not quite on equal terms to the more dominant piano. There's the D minor "piano" concerto of Bach right there in some little parts of your work!! (This is a stream-of-consciousness response because I'm still listening). Each time I hear more. Auf weidersehn

Sue aka Bonn1827

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                And seven flats in that part in the first movement? Good heavens!
                This is Ab-minor, one of my favourite keys (favourite probably because of my deep love of the Arioso of Beethoven's op. 110 piano sonata, 3rd movement). I like to use this key when I want to express a kind of transcendent melancholy like at this part of the development.

Comment

In the opening movement, the "counterpoint" - particularly your main theme - is very Bachian in the piano's onward flow, rhythm ...
                  It's interresting how various people can perceive music so differently. There is only one passage where I intentivly used counterpoint, and this is the whole development section of the 3rd movement, but even there it is not really Bachian but more Beethovenian (like at the finale of op. 131.)

Comment

Regarding your deep love of Op. 110 piano sonata of LvB: I heard it played last night by a Frenchman, Francois-Frederic Guy. He made a good account of it, despite a few slips. He also played Chopin and I never-before realized what little dramas those Nocturnes are!!

Somebody on these pages recommended LvB's Mass in C and it arrived yesterday from Amazon USA, conducted by Chailly. On same CD as the main work, "Missa Solemnis", the Chicago SO/Solti. (Very annoying splitting the 2 works over 2 CDs, with the dividing point the Sanctus from the Missa!! Unacceptable.)

Well Gerd, I'm trying to learn Deutsch and do you think I have any chance of being able to communicate with people this time next year when we come to Germany and Austria? I work at it about an hour each day and did start last year - modal verbs, case, haben and sein, etc. I also listen/watch Deutsch Welle here each day and put the German subtitles on during my favourite films.

Comment

Well Gerd, I'm trying to learn Deutsch and do you think I have any chance of being able to communicate with people this time next year when we come to Germany and Austria?
                      I am sure you will! And if you have some problems here and there - people who are not fully uneducated here do understand English pretty well and surely will help you ...

Comment

Danke. I really don't want to have to rely on the English of your people! Probably hopeless optimism on my part. How lucky you are to live in your wonderful country with so much culture and heritage. We were there for 2 months last April to June and, upon our return home, wondered why people would want to come to far-away Australia at all!!!?? It is "nice", but "nice" can become boring after a while..! Bis bald.

Comment

Gerd, your violin sonata is unusually pleasant to the ear. The more introspective passages have a sonority which is very hard to find in most modern compositions, while the more robust passages lend considerable satisfaction. Your first movement was especially rewarding and I think it was an excellent idea, musically, to make your conclusion a tarantella. I will be listening to this piece again. Thank you for sharing it.

- Susan Wenger

Comment

Gerd, I have been listening to your violin sonata and wondered if you had a particular emotion or idea that you were expressing?
                            - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                              Gerd, I have been listening to your violin sonata and wondered if you had a particular emotion or idea that you were expressing?
                              Hi Preston,
                              I can tell you that I didn't have one but many different emotions, which developed all from the beginning theme of the 1st movement. Even the sad theme of the the 2nd movement and the vivid Tarentella theme of the Finale derive from this thought eventhough it is so not apparent.
                              My idea was to express passion, tenderness (beginning of the development), mourning (Andante and Coda of the 3rd mov.), and the power of live (3rd movement).

Please tell me, Preston, what thought YOU had when you listened to the work.

Gerd

Comment

Working...
                              X