Karajan's last Cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firoze View Post
    I just bought the Brilliant Classics Beethoven Edition set for US$70. Not a bad price I think.. Anyway, I've taken a quick listen to the 1st Symp and it sounds promising... Looking forward to hearing the rest...
    You got a bargain there. It's an excellent edition and it includes Kurt Masur's complete set of the symphonies.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      You got a bargain there. It's an excellent edition and it includes Kurt Masur's complete set of the symphonies.
      I can 2nd that, .
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Yes I thought so, I bought it without knowing that the price was much higher elsewhere, but at less than a dollar a disc I knew I could not go wrong, especially considering that the set featured some prominent musicians/orchestras. In any case there is much of LvB's music I don't have so this was a good way to get it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Welcome Firoze - glad you found us. I think that it really is a hard job choosing a complete set and never more so with such a wide choice now available. For me Karajan's 60s cycle has always been his over all best but then you can find individual performances from later versions that are better (but also worse). Personally I wouldn't go for Karajan's last cycle, my preference would be Haitink and the LSO.
          I have not listened to Karajan's last cycle (it is included in the reduced price DG boxset released recently that my brother bought me). But I think that my preferred cycle would be his '63 one.

Concerning Haitink/LSO, last weekend I was surprised when I listened to the 5th and noticed the really fast tempi (I had been listening precisely to Karajan '63 5th before and it called my attention); it's almost as fast as Gardiner/ORR actually!! But I think it reduces expressiveness and some nuances. What do you think about it?

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri View Post
            I have not listened to Karajan's last cycle (it is included in the reduced price DG boxset released recently that my brother bought me). But I think that my preferred cycle would be his '63 one.
            It was a beauty until it developed a puncture...

Comment

Ok, I admit, I've had a few beers...

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri View Post

Concerning Haitink/LSO, last weekend I was surprised when I listened to the 5th and noticed the really fast tempi (I had been listening precisely to Karajan '63 5th before and it called my attention); it's almost as fast as Gardiner/ORR actually!! But I think it reduces expressiveness and some nuances. What do you think about it?
                The Haitink cycle is on my to get list at some stage! I have only really read positive reviews about it and I'm not bothered by a fast 5th, having endured many tedious performances of this work - the worst in my opinion being Klemperer.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                X