Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karajan's last Cycle

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, glad to be here...

I did a search but could not find any discussion on Karajan's last Cycle of LvB's symphonies (recorded in the late '80's). This cycle seems to generate rather extreme polar opinions from people - from fulsome praise to derision.

I'd be interested to know what members here think about this Cycle...

Regards

Welcome to the forum! I bought this set a good few years back - it was being offered very cheaply as an introduction to Brittania records or something. Some say it is the weakest of the three cycles but it is probably the best recorded. It wouldn't be my number one choice but I quite like it - except for the Sixth Symphony. Karajan should never have been left near that work.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Welcome to the forum! I bought this set a good few years back..... Some say it is the weakest of the three cycles but it is probably the best recorded. It wouldn't be my number one choice but I quite like it - except for the Sixth Symphony. Karajan should never have been left near that work.
      Hello Michael, thanks for the welcome.
      Yes its interesting how polarised the opinions are about this set. I myself think quite highly of it but many seem to loath it...

What about you other members, would like to hear more opinions...

Regards

Comment

By the way Michael, which are your favourite symphonies cycles?

Comment

I haven't heard a great many number of complete cycles - I prefer to pick 'n' mix - but my favourite would be the Leonard Bernstein early sixties recordings with the NYSO. (I expect a lot of people will groan when they read this - but I'm sticking to my statement!)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            ........ my favourite would be the Leonard Bernstein early sixties recordings with the NYSO. (I expect a lot of people will groan when they read this - but I'm sticking to my statement!)
            If I'm not mistaken this set was quite favourably reviewed when it was released...

Comment

Welcome Firoze - glad you found us. I think that it really is a hard job choosing a complete set and never more so with such a wide choice now available. For me Karajan's 60s cycle has always been his over all best but then you can find individual performances from later versions that are better (but also worse). Personally I wouldn't go for Karajan's last cycle, my preference would be Haitink and the LSO.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                Welcome Firoze - glad you found us. I think that it really is a hard job choosing a complete set and never more so with such a wide choice now available. For me Karajan's 60s cycle has always been his over all best but then you can find individual performances from later versions that are better (but also worse). Personally I wouldn't go for Karajan's last cycle, my preference would be Haitink and the LSO.
                Thank you Peter, I had no idea this forum existed, I'm so glad I found it.. I've been a fan of LvB from a very young age, have been to his Birthplace in Bonn as well...

Actually I have all three of Karajan's BPO cycles (among others); I just want to know other member's opinions on the last one because, like I said, it seems to invoke such extreme reactions from people.
                I have not heard the Haitink/LSO set; but I will do so - he's one of my favourite conductors.

Regards

Comment

I concur with the Peter on the '63 cycle. That is the one of his that I have and I quite like it.

Comment

I tend to agree with Michael (I regret) : I also prefer to pick n´mix. Why? Because I find suspect the attempt to offer a "cycle".

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                      ........ I find suspect the attempt to offer a "cycle".
                      Well, the idea of a Cycle is a consistency of interpretational style, recording acoustics, sound quality etc. I think a Cycle is indeed a valid concept.

Comment

But historically speaking a "novelty", Firoze. I don´t really have a problem with the notion, but I tend to find suspect the idea that one can maintain an overarching interpretation of such a body of works. I accept that I´m walking on thin ice, here. It´s merely a personal (read : idiosyncratic) standpoint.

Comment

I think Karajan's first cycle (circa 1963) was the first planned attempt at a complete Beethoven cycle. There may have been earlier conductors and orchestras who issued recordings of all the symphonies in a haphazard fashion, but this cycle was marketed from the beginning as a complete set by D.G.G., even though all the discs were available separately. I remember buying just one disc - the Fourth Symphony but I finally got the lot in 1997 when D.G.G. included it in the Complete Beethoven Edition. The sound (admittedly refurbished) is outstanding for the sixties.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                            I tend to agree with Michael (I regret) : pick n´mix.
                            You tend to agree with moi? What am I doing wrong!!!
                            (The green smiling icon indicates maniacal glee and it means the preceding sentence is to be take with a milligram of sodium chloride).

But the "I regret" coda has upset me!

Comment

I just bought the Brilliant Classics Beethoven Edition set for US$70. Not a bad price I think.. Anyway, I've taken a quick listen to the 1st Symp and it sounds promising... Looking forward to hearing the rest...

Comment

Working...
                              X