"Immortal Beloved" on DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    The most recent movie has been "Copying Beethoven" which was okayish but got disastrous reviews. Ed Harris played B. It hasn't been released in the UK but is out on Region One - and there is also a Spanish edition which has English dialogue - but you can't get rid of the Spanish subtitles.
    Once again, the DVD has been available here in France for the last few months. Utter tosh it is, too. I can´t recommend this film enough to this forum. Add icon.
    Last edited by Quijote; 02-21-2009, 05:28 PM. Reason: Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
      Once again, the DVD has been available here in France for the last few months. Utter tosh it is, too. I can´t recommend this film enough to this forum. Add icon.
      No wonder you're so good at recognising it though I think you need to explain your use of the word 'tosh' which strikes me as being typically conservative reactionary. You simply click on these art forms Philip - surprised you're having such difficulty with the smilie technology which seems to have dominated Western culture far more than anything since Coca-cola.

Concerning Copying Beethoven itself, it may surprise you that this forum was actually consulted by the producers and I did my best to steer them down the road of authenticity, even providing them with appropiate tavern music composers of the day - it therefore came as a shock to learn of the character Anna and frankly I lost all interest at that stage.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        No wonder you're so good at recognising it though I think you need to explain your use of the word 'tosh' which strikes me as being typically conservative reactionary. You simply click on these art forms Philip - surprised you're having such difficulty with the smilie technology which seems to have dominated Western culture far more than anything since Coca-cola.
        Nah, it's a fair cop, M'lud. It is true that the smilie (you assume this is the icon you wish me to employ) technology baffles me. I am a Luddite at heart.

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        Concerning Copying Beethoven itself, it may surprise you that this forum was actually consulted by the producers and I did my best to steer them down the road of authenticity, even providing them with appropiate tavern music composers of the day - it therefore came as a shock to learn of the character Anna and frankly I lost all interest at that stage.
        Rotters, these producers. Out of interest, where did you find the list of tavern composers?

Comment

Nah, it's a fair cop, M'lud. It is true that the smilie (you assume this is the icon you wish me to employ) technology baffles me. I am a Luddite at heart.

Rotters, these producers. Out of interest, where did you find the list of tavern composers?
          I can't remember now Philip but here is what I found out (amongst a great deal of other highly detailed period information which I still have) -

Some eateries hired small bands to play popular opera tunes, dances and songs. Wine and beer halls featured zither music and folksingers. Zithers played all the latest tunes, but they also preserved the old landler and folk songs which were sung in Viennese dialect. There were also the Bankelsanger (part time musicians) who sang, yodelled and told stories to the accompaniments of harps and guitars. The harp was quite common in taverns played by poor minstrels. Popular combination of the time was 2 violins and double bass.

Ignaz Michael Pamer (1782-1827) thrilled and entertained audiences every night with performances of his Walzer at a favorite Viennesse tavern, Zur Goldenen Birne (frequented by Beethoven). The following provides a link to Amazon with an appropiate cd of the music.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...roduct-details
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

It was actually the scriptwriter of "Copying Beethoven" who posted at length in this forum. (I wonder if the messages are still in the archives - I haven't time to check at the moment.) But I think we knew from the beginning that he was introducing the fictional character of Anna to "sex" up the movie. The temptation is to groan and wag an accusing finger, but the film would not have got any financial backing if it had featured someone resembling one of Beethoven's actual copyists.
            It did turn out to be a bit of a curate's egg but I quite liked Ed Harris's disinclination to chew the scenery.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              It was actually the scriptwriter of "Copying Beethoven" who posted at length in this forum. (I wonder if the messages are still in the archives - I haven't time to check at the moment.) But I think we knew from the beginning that he was introducing the fictional character of Anna to "sex" up the movie. The temptation is to groan and wag an accusing finger, but the film would not have got any financial backing if it had featured someone resembling one of Beethoven's actual copyists.
              It did turn out to be a bit of a curate's egg but I quite liked Ed Harris's disinclination to chew the scenery.
              Unfortunately the original thread has vanished but I can assure you Michael that we were not aware of the fictional character Anna until much later. I understand the reasons for the character but do recall warning that it would not be a success if they did that. The initial purpose was to promote the late music of Beethoven and I think this was a very fine idea which certainly gained my initial support. It did irritate me that we went to the trouble of providing authentic detail which was requested, only to find a completely fictional story had been decided upon. Personally I think the whole copyist idea was pointless and a far better film could have been made focusing on the nephew relationship which would have produced great drama and allowed for the late music.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Don't you EVEN get me started.. I hate that movie! The whole thing was a made up, didn't like it at all.

Comment

Hmm.. I'd like to watch this movie even if its bad, just to see what the fuss is all about

Comment

Originally posted by firoze View Post
                    Hmm.. I'd like to watch this movie even if its bad, just to see what the fuss is all about
                    Can I give you a synopsis, Firoze?

Crazed RoboCop-composer shoots everbody in Vienna, then finds he needs to get his Ninth symphony copied in double-quick-time. Enter young, good looking blond lady who copies it out it for him. They fall in love, she then conducts the première crouching between the 1st violinist's legs. The end.
                    Last edited by Quijote; 02-23-2009, 07:23 PM.

Comment

I got several autographed books from the participation with that movie and some very nice e mails and correspondance from Stephen.
                      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Crazed RoboCop-composer shoots everbody in Vienna, then finds he needs to get his Ninth symphony copied in double-quick-time. Enter young, good looking blond lady who copies it out it for him. They fall in love, she then conducts the première crouching between the 1st violinist's legs. The end.
                        Hilarious! <snigger...>

What was she doing between the violinist's legs?....No, don't answer that! But seriously, Phil, you've spoiled the ending of this film, and now I don't want to see it. I had a similar experience when some inconsiderate buffoon revealed to me the ending of Titanic (it sank, apparently), thus rendering the chances of my seeing it without prior knowledge, redundant. <Some people!...>
                        Last edited by PDG; 02-23-2009, 10:06 PM. Reason: That sinking feeling...

Comment

ROFL

I agree! just as worst trying to tell my father what REALLY happen! It took me a few times to tell him sigh!!!

Comment

Originally posted by firoze View Post
                            I wish you luck!

Comment

Purchased "Immortal Beloved" from HMV for 17.99 Euros, last Saturday. Have yet to watch it it again.

http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com
                              http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Angel View Post
                                I wish you luck!
                                Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X