"Immortal Beloved" on DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Immortal Beloved" on DVD

Almost fifteen years after it was made, this film has finally been issued on DVD in the UK. It has previously been available only in the US and Asia. It has been the subject of many posts here, and the general agreement has been that it is a well-made and enjoyable movie. But if you are a stickler for historical (and musical) accuracy, be afraid. Be very afraid.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/79465...t.html?cur=257

I bought the Korean edition some years ago in spite of the unnerving fact that the composer's name was spelt "Beetohoven" on the disc and the box. However, there is no excuse for the new edition's cover which clearly states: "The untold love story of Ludwig VON Beethoven".
    Last edited by Michael; 01-30-2009, 03:01 PM.

Thanks for the info Michael, I'll be looking out for it here in Ireland. Hopefully the spelling will be correct. In Gaelic.:-)

http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com Irish politicians are beginning to reply.
    http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com

Comment

Great news! I've had this beautiful, moving film on video for years. Hope it's mixed in 5.1.

Comment

I'm afraid it's vanilla. It has a DTS soundtrack but there is no director's commentary and no documentary - all of which were present on the Korean import (and the original Region One). (The picture - although NTSC - was also better on the foreign version, which had, of course, soundtracks in English).
        Why do they drop so many extras when they release a film over here??

Comment

That's a very good question too! I have the US version, and nothing interesting besides the movie itself.

Comment

Beethoven Boot Camp

It's amazing that the only decent DVD of "Immortal Beloved" comes from Korea!

(Disregard the above Boot Camp title - I put it in the wrong thread).
            Last edited by Michael; 02-17-2009, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              It's amazing that the only decent DVD of "Immortal Beloved" comes from Korea!
              Proof then that the GB and Eire are two sinking ships ! I bought this DVD here in France a couple of months ago (from Virgin, in fact) - film, Dolby Digital 5.1, film trailer, lengthy documentary on the "IB", the Making Of, the film with director's commentary, and 11" of music. Audio versions in GB, German, and French, plus subtitles in 11 different languages. And all for 17€.
              Come to France then, for the DVD. And buy some cheese and wine whilst you're here, you know it makes sense.
              Last edited by Quijote; 02-17-2009, 04:39 PM. Reason: Schadenfreude (less eruditely = "gloating")

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                Proof then that the GB and Eire are two sinking ships ! I bought this DVD here in France a couple of months ago (from Virgin, in fact) - film, Dolby Digital 5.1, film trailer, lengthy documentary on the "IB", the Making Of, the film with director's commentary, and 11" of music. Audio versions in GB, German, and French, plus subtitles in 11 different languages. And all for 17€.
                Come to France then, for the DVD. And buy some cheese and wine whilst you're here, you know it makes sense.
                Yes, all those extras were on the Korean version - and it cost me less than ten euro. I don't know about GB but certainly, at the moment, Ireland has something in common with the Titanic.

Comment

10€ is cheap. Was it a sort of "fallen off the back of a lorry / a friend made me a copy-of-a-copy" deal? If the FBI have one of their internet scanning devices pointing this way :
                  His name is Michael, lives in Ireland, an utter scoundrel, jail him immediately.
                  Last edited by Quijote; 02-17-2009, 05:37 PM. Reason: Denunciation

Comment

10€ is cheap. Was it a sort of "fallen off the back of a lorry / a friend made me a copy-of-a-copy" deal? If the FBI have one of their internet scanning devices pointing this way :
                    His name is Michael, lives in Ireland, an utter scoundrel, jail him immediately.
                    No - a perfectly legit edition, even though it was bought through eBay. By the FBI, do you mean Friends of Beethoven International?

Comment

With only the folk songs for company...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                        With only the folk songs for company...

If Ireland is sinking, I would need "Nearer my God to Thee".

(You really should seek immediate help, Peter, regarding your non-appreciation of the folk songs. Please do, before it gets any worse!)

Comment

I bought this DVD some time back - mail ordered from the Tower Records US website, delivered to me in Mumbai quite promptly. Very reasonably priced too...
                          Can't check if it has the "extras" because I'm travelling at the moment.

Are there any other movies on LvB that one can get on DVD? Would love to know about them....

Comment

The most recent movie has been "Copying Beethoven" which was okayish but got disastrous reviews. Ed Harris played B. It hasn't been released in the UK but is out on Region One - and there is also a Spanish edition which has English dialogue - but you can't get rid of the Spanish subtitles.

Comment

I will check that out, thanks Michael.

Comment

Working...
                              X