BBC young musician

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC young musician

The 2008 winner of the once prestigious BBC young musician of the year (itself celebrating 30 years) was announced last night - 12 year old trombonist Peter Moore who really was a remarkable talent and I think deserved to win. However what a complete dumb down of the whole event by the BBC -sidelined to BBC4 none of the previous rounds were shown (as they were in previous years) and in the final itself only excerpts from concertos were played - all this accompanied by the most inane and amateurish presentation. I would go further and even question the choice of Ben Foster as chairman of the jury. And all this to 'celebrate' and encourage young classical musicians! Anyone else see this and have any thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/youngmusician/
    'Man know thyself'

Couldn't agree more Peter. It felt like they were trying to get as near to Masterchef or one of those awful "select a singer for an Andrew Lloyd Webber production" shows as they could All the focus of the presented show was on personality and repetitive back story and the music took a back seat. Even in what we saw of the judge's analysis it seemed mostly about presentation and less about technical skill or insightful interpretation than on previous occasions and would have taught few viewers any more about the pieces being played. The full performances are available on line with other information and I do think the final choice from among the finalists was right (though I thought Sam Law, the pianist of Chinese origin who won one of the lesser prizes, is probably the most insightful musician of them all and the one I think most likely to make a really distinguished career) but I feel that both the musicians and the viewers were shortchanged by this approach. Do they really think that people who are interested in Classical Music would not have the attention span to sit through 5 concerti these days (less time than a couple of tennis matches or a long opera) or that anyone they might hope to get interested would have learnt much from such a disjointed approach? Even Classic FM can be more inspirational and informative when it tries!
    Last edited by JA Gardiner; 05-12-2008, 08:17 AM.
    Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner View Post
      Couldn't agree more Peter. It felt like they were trying to get as near to Masterchef or one of those awful "select a singer for an Andrew Lloyd Webber production" shows as they could All the focus of the presented show was on personality and repetitive back story and the music took a back seat. Even in what we saw of the judge's analysis it seemed mostly about presentation and less about technical skill or insightful interpretation than on previous occasions and would have taught few viewers any more about the pieces being played. The full performances are available on line with other information and I do think the final choice from among the finalists was right (though I thought Sam Law, the pianist of Chinese origin who won one of the lesser prizes, is probably the most insightful musician of them all and the one I think most likely to make a really distinguished career) but I feel that both the musicians and the viewers were shortchanged by this approach. Do they really think that people who are interested in Classical Music would not have the attention span to sit through 5 concerti these days (less time than a couple of tennis matches or a long opera) or that anyone they might hope to get interested would have learnt much from such a disjointed approach? Even Classic FM can be more inspirational and informative when it tries!
      Yes I think you put it very well and interestingly I also was very impressed with Sam Law and thought he should have gone further, but as you say he no doubt will! Just from glancing at the BBC forum they've come in for a lot of well deserved stick over this - can you imagine what would happen if they dared to show the snooker championships online with just a few highlights on mainstream tv?
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        The 2008 winner of the once prestigious BBC young musician of the year (itself celebrating 30 years) was announced last night ... Anyone else see this and have any thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/youngmusician/
        Peter

I totally agree with everything you say. The programme simply increased my utter contempt for British television.

Euan

Comment

Well, at least you've got something. All we have in the U.S. is American Idol

Comment

I think the Brits have something similar to American Idol with Simon Cowell being over there as well as here.
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
              I think the Brits have something similar to American Idol with Simon Cowell being over there as well as here.
              We do indeed have to suffer the same man! Of course that program gets full prime time coverage.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

But the program "Britain Got Talent" uncovered a fantastic musical talent in the opera singer Paul Potts!!
                "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
                  But the program "Britain Got Talent" uncovered a fantastic musical talent in the opera singer Paul Potts!!
                  Not to mention the guy who could swallow furniture.

Comment

The Radio Times has been besieged with letters protesting against the disgraceful coverage of "BBC Young Musicians". The producer, Steve Crabtree feebly tried to defend the programming by stating that "we need to attract a new, wider audience". In other words, cut out the boring music and focus on the characters!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      The Radio Times has been besieged with letters protesting against the disgraceful coverage of "BBC Young Musicians". The producer, Steve Crabtree feebly tried to defend the programming by stating that "we need to attract a new, wider audience". In other words, cut out the boring music and focus on the characters!

Attract new viewers to what? A dumb idea and I took the highly unusual step myself of sending an email to the BBC and received a slightly encouraging response "The audience reaction and feedback like yours will be scrutinised as part of an ongoing process. Any outcomes will hopefully be integrated into the planning for coverage of the next competition."

Let's hope the vox populi wins out!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

WHAT???!!!! BORNING MUSIC????!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X